Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tutorial Mission Pack  (Read 2880 times)

Offline eegore

• Members
Tutorial Mission Pack
« on: 26 Feb 2009, 11:46:30 »
  I was looking around to see if this had been done, or suggested but didn't find anything.

I was wondering, especially with the new OFP/ARMA games set for release this year if anyone thinks that a tutorials mission multi-pack would be handy? 

What I do is have an Xcel spreadsheet with most of the commands I use listed for copy/paste convenience, plus I have a series of editor missions with multiple triggers etc. in them based off of themes.

For instance I have a "Groups" mission that has multiple group action triggers/scripts in it, like grp1 = group this  and the _x assignascargo eachunits grp1  etc.  all in one mission that makes for a good visual plus an easy way to copy/paste triggers etc. into other missions. 

Another mission has multiple ammo crate loadouts and removeallweapons this commands. 

The main thing is that these missions have multiple scenarios, but aren't really for playing other than watching how the commands work.  More like drills so to speak.

Would something like this come in handy for anyone else?  As a more visual learner I know that actual mission examples help me out more than anything. 
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2009, 11:49:53 by eegore »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: Tutorial Mission Pack
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2009, 14:56:44 »
Absolutely submit it to the Editors Depot as a template.
Xbox Rocks

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2009, 01:50:37 »
good idea as it helps gamers hands on  :yes:
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 08:25:22 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline becubed

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2009, 03:11:24 »
Yes please, I think it would be a good idea.
As a new scripter I appreciate any examples available, the simpler the better. A mission that only does one thing is easier to follow than one where the concept you are trying to understand is mixed in with other things.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2009, 05:16:12 »
When you create your thread, make a list of other ideal sample missions that would be helpful so others can get in on this as a community effort. Everyone could create sample missions, submit them to the missions depot for playtest and feedback, offer ideas to add to the list on your initial post and we can strike through the ones that have been covered and add new ones as ideas or requests are posted. This may be more beneficial to some users than tutorials as actually seeing the code and resources in use can be easier than deciphering a tutorial and attempting it on their own.

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:43:08 »

Additional input would be needed when it comes to looking at any of my stuff in particular.  I use the most rudimantary methods possible and rarely use scripts in any of my missions.  Also I didnt clarify on the original post that I just use OFP so ARMA changes would have to be contributed by others.  ARMA just didn't appeal to me in comparison to all the OFP addons and such. 

In any case I can try to figure out how to post what I have.  An important question would be regarding the Excel spreadsheet.  I copy/paste from it all the time and use it to reference mission content similar to a readme file, but should it be included as part of a tutorial multipack or just leave it out?

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2009, 09:43:33 »
i think using Excel is up to you! here's what i came up with so far  :D

See there's one guy interested already, becubed.
Yes as SavedBy said you can start a thread, name a mission tute then do something like this;
Mission_eegore_inits
Number the triggers and soldiers 1, 2, 3, ect
Then have a readme ;
Trigger 1 executes bla bla if you want or little things added to soldiers inits
Like; or just leave it as a download someone can look around at as a unpbo missiontute

Heres my continuation tid bits;

this setdamage -1; this setunitpos "up"; (this setdamage -1 = the ai is off balance but in an upright stance)
this allowfleeing 0 (ai will not flee)
Bravo = group this; this setGroupId ["Bravo", "GroupColor0"];
this setbehaviour"SAFE";
removeAllWeapons this;
this setUnitPos "MIDDLE";
this addMagazineCargo ["PipeBomb",2];   
this addWeapon "Binocular";this addWeapon "NVGoggles";
this addMagazine "PG7V" ; this addWeapon "RPG7V" ;
this setBehaviour "CARELESS";
flyInHeight 0; this setBehaviour "CARELESS"; this setSpeedMode "NORMAL";
this moveInCargo Heli1;
this disableAI "MOVE"; this setBehaviour "AWARE"; this doWatch Heli

just little things like objective tute
trigger tute
init tute
camera tute, ect

very simple stuff but someone might be able to use it.

Things gamers can look at and gain some extra knowledge from kinda a "oh that's how ya do that"......... thingo
Anyways make a new thread! And I will ad this to it, and put it in a mission tute aswell!
hehe , schuler
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 09:45:13 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2009, 21:33:24 »
I would not use excel as not everyone has the office pack. I'm not sure why notepad would not work.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2009, 10:52:28 »
cheers for that kju, i am sure someone like seeing that!
Semper Fi

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2009, 18:28:38 »
  The mission categories I use are:

Behaviors: 
  this setbehaviour"SAFE"; 
  this setunitpos "up";

This mission has 4 squads each travelling on foot from one tent to another, each squad has different behaviors and such.

Groups/grouping
  Grp1 = group this;
  this setgroupID ["Alpha","groupcolor0"]

This one has Grp1 communicate via radio to the player and has a Jeep join and lead a 3 truck convoy via the synchronized Joinand Lead and Join waypoints.

Movement
  {_x moveInCargo vehiclename} forEach units group this
  "_x action [""eject"",wHeli1]" forEach (units wGrp1); "unassignVehicle _x" forEach (units wGrp1)

This mission has one group Init: into a Ural and has a group on foot get into a MI-8 fly in a circle, get out and then run and load into a BMP.  This one is really handy for the continually asked questions on how to get AI to load and get dropped off in choppers.

Teleport/deleting
  Unit1 domove getpos Player

This has 1 Officer instantly appear next to the player while another runs showing the different between domove and getpos.  Also a car drives away running into a trigger that deletes all objects and units around the player. 

Weapon/Ammo
  Removeallweapons this; 

Various weapon loadouts, some ammo box loadouts etc. 

This is what I use, but I'm not sure how well it covers the basics.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2009, 02:25:15 »
Your on to something here, I say with put up the tute missions but call the example missions and test them here then add them to the Editors Depot as packs.
One of our Admin will have a look and see what's the best way to add them , I am thinking you have it pretty will organized.

You could add
Radio uses :
how to call a group into action/support
How to call in air/armored units wit,h this setfuel 0
Save game without deleting radio

Para drops:
Mi17 drops ai paras over player squad

this might help got some more missions on the boards too ;)

edit also we can use the briefing for telling whats going on in the sample, and name the according units to make the missions as easy to understand as possible.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009, 02:41:15 by schuler »
Semper Fi