Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Its about Editing and Mission Development right?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
Its about Editing and Mission Development right?
« on: 24 Feb 2009, 18:12:41 »
 Well, I see lots of ideas that never get incorporated into missions and or campaigns. In most developmental teams there is usally the idea guy, the technical advisor, the scripter, the 3d artist, etc. Follow me? There are a great deal of snobbish folk in the Arma community that we didn't have in the OFP community. Would it be possible to add an idea/collaboration sub-forum to the site? That way the guy with the great idea can have it translated into a great script and modeling and so on. My point is there is an extraordinary amount of talent out there that is being untapped. there has to be some was of making this work!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Its about Editing and Mission Development right?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2009, 19:54:01 »
For mission makers: Mission Discussion

For addon makers: Addons & Mods Discussion

For recruiting for your idea: Recruitement lounge

One problem is of course that no-one wants to do somebody else's job. In the modding community, there's no such thing as an "ideas guy" - the mod/group leader is the one who has to work the hardest to make anything work. Administration as it happens in the "real world" where the "administrator" sits on his ass and gives orders doesn't function on the internetz, and I should know :cool2:

HOWEVER, if you have a great idea that you'd love to see implemented, feel free to comment in the discussion forums and share your thoughts! Better yet, start learning the ropes, get some help, and then go out there and get it done yourself! :) The Beta-testing forums are for getting feedback and discussing your ideas once they're implemented, the general discussion forums are for creating outlines, brainstorming and generally coming up with something cool together (basically what you were asking for).

At least, that's the way I've always seen it. :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Trexian

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2009, 20:12:51 »
Yeah, there's a mission discussion subforum that I find interesting to read.

The hard thing is to get people motivated and moving in the same direction. :D
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2009, 20:21:49 »
 Thanks Wolf! Thanks for not telling me to "Search" LOL! I've seen those threads, but thats where the "uppity" part comes in.  Take for example in real life while building a car. Say you built the engine and your buddy did the bodywork and so on. It's a team effort. I've never once seen a machinist tell a sheet metal worker, "hey read up on rebuilding an engine and do it yourself."
 I've noticed that those folks who have done most of the work themselves rarely want to give out freebie advice (rightly so) because maybe no one ever helped them out. It is amazing what can be accomplished when there are no egos involved.  I understand completely about Supervisors doing absolutely nothing, I've been there, done that and been shot twice to prove it.
 I'm 35 Wolf and I remember the good ole days of AD&D when everyone helped everyone out. You need a Bag of Holding, here I've got one, but it will cost you your Vorpal +1. Now it seems to One for One and All for None.
 It's just an idea that I have, but man, imagine the missions that could be created when (how many members does OFPEC have?) we all contribute one great idea?

Again, OFPEC has wisely chosen it's moderators. An intelligent response to an intelligent answer...unlike Ar...**Cough...Cough**..ic

Amen Trexian!

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2009, 20:29:53 »
There is an effort going on in the mission area, where there are several people working on a campaign. I think anyone can submit and contribute a mission. Or contribute by beta testing the missions and offering suggestions.
Xbox Rocks

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2009, 01:36:12 »
 Sounds like a great idea! I'll get crack-a-lackin on that this week (sorry, the kids made me watch Madagascar last night)!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2009, 23:43:34 »
Wow, hoz you beat me to posting it. This campaign is my brainchild and it never gets the attention it deserves (I think). Could you post a killer newspost about it? I think there is a misunderstanding that people believe they NEED to post a mission on their own before looking on one.

While any contribution that fits the story of Episode 1 is totally welcome, we are in need for additional beta testers anyway!

@fallujahmedic: Good idea, I hope you will enjoy it and help our effort!  :welcome:

Offline Vigilante

• Members
    • Vigilante Virtual Systems & Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2009, 12:41:26 »
My take on why this potiential doesnt gets tapped, although the tools are there (communities, wikis etc... the internet in general which is based on collaboration at its core... well originally)

Well, most "idea" ppl only have a simple "idea" and its VERY likely someone else had it too ... most often loooong time ago! (platos world of idea ;) or sheldrakes morphogenetic fields)

... but already here 96% of "good","cool" ideas die off, since it looks like lot of work for most modern day people...  well it is somehow... but ITS NOT if you are REALLY keen on working it.

Basically i think that it is a problem of our times in general, not only ArmA... i can see that every working day at any job/workplace i been to as customer or worker... ::no::

If you add the arrogance and eliteness feeling of others already "been there" to that, you can understand why there is a problem. (i dont like that character weakness neither)

i like your point, but many just want to be spoonfed and not really willing to commit time on their own learning the basics so you can talk on the same level.

Understand its not like in the 50s sweatshop where you and two or three of your buddies work and where you go to and can learn by example. And even back in the "good 'ol days", if you didnt know how to use the benchgrinder or the files you would have been delegated to clean the shop or get food or smth... :scratch:
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2009, 12:56:03 by Vigilante »
a.k.a. PhilippRauch

check out my Addon Wiki http://www.vigilante-systems.webs.com (WIP and outdated :P)
http://www.youtube.com/user/vigilante-systems