Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: RPT steerable skydive and steerable parachute system (with "kick" weapon)  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
RPT_SteerabelChute system for OFP-Resistance 1.91 or later.

This is my first publicly submitted addon. Everything works great, except I had the bright idea to add a weapon to the parachute that enables the player to swoop down and kick an enemy in the head before landing. The weapon works and you can actually kick a unit in the head (try the demos attached). The problem is that the darn weapon makes a muzzle flash. I need help to eliminate this flash. It is pretty dumb looking that kicking would make a bright flash at night and a puff of smoke in the day (the smoke problem is now fixed but the flash problem remains). I tried experimenting with the config but now I need help because I am out of ideas.

Some features of the RPT_SteerableChute system:

• Parachute has realistic control and glide ratio. It is based on a high-glide parachute system (see link below)
  • Sky diving pack also has realistic control/fall rate/glide ratio. Scripting and careful geometry makes it stable, but unable to "glide" as is the case with some other sky diving addons.
  • AI units will stay in formation with their leader (leader can be AI or player).
  • An all AI squad can skydive and parachute (included scripts facilitate this).
  • Scripts included to help mission makers use this addon for HALO or HAHO jumps from aircraft, including all AI squads.
  • Player can swoop down and kick an enemy (weapon resets, so you could potentially kick more than one guy).
  • Life vest will deploy if parachute lands in water. The life vest is also useable with other vehicles and allows men to swim.
  • Detailed usage instructions in addon folder.
http://www.airborne-sys.com/pages/view/hi-glide-system

Attached is a zip file containing threefour demo missions, the RPT_SteerableChute.pbo file, the unPBOed folder (so it is easier for you modeling and config gurus to examine it and help me). There is also RPT_SteerableChute Instructions.rtf and Readme First.txt.

For a more extensive test mission download HALO Raid: http://www.raptorsaurus.net/rpt_missions.html .

Update Log:
  • Feb, 19 2009 (2:30 PM) - Updated demo mission Files with RPT tag, Added required version (OFP-Resistance 1.91) to readme and instructions
  • Feb, 19 2009 (10:00 PM) - Changed config.ccp per suggestions made by Walter_E_Kurts and removed the instructions from within the PBO.
  • July 10, 2009 - Changed config.ccp to eliminate vehicle light from parachute and skydiver pack.
  • June 18, 2010 - Changed config.ccp for more realistic camouflage parameters, night time spotable coefficients and parachute pilot ability to id targets.
  • Dec. 11, 2011 - Added life vest for water landings. (Also useable for other water craft and for soldiers swimming.)
  • v. 1.1, May 6, 2012 - Added "vector dots" to help with navigation and maneuvering during sky diving and parachute flight.
  • v. 1.2, Feb. 10, 2013 - Fixed error where if a designated landing zone radius was too small an invalid position array problem might occur.
  • v. 1.3, June 18, 2014 - Fixed error in the function "MovePosAcc.sqf" that caused improper trajectory calculations.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2014, 07:44:00 by Raptorsaurus »

Walter_E_Kurtz

Error on starting OFP: "No entry 'config.bin/CfgAmmo/KozliceShell.simulation'."

Crashes when loading demo missions.

I'll have another try later.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Strange stuff, cfgAmmo.kozliceShell doesn't require a simulation parameter.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
That is very stange. I have no problems running it. I have OFP GOTY updated to 1.96. Maybe you are trying it with pre-resistance OFP? I know that the Kozlice Shotgun was not added until OFP Resistance. Anyway, I could change it to use a pre-resistance bullet type and then just make it a burst effect with good dispersion.

Also, I solved the smoke problem for day missions. An old post by Colonel Klink at the BIS forums helped me with that, but I still get the flash at night. I have updated the download to beta v2(beta v6). It has the non-smoking kick for day missions and no longer uses a modified Kozlice ammo type for the RPT_Kick ammo. I still need help getting rid of the muzzle flash at night. Hopefully the updated ammo type will solve that wierd KozliceShell error.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2010, 03:59:41 by Raptorsaurus »

Walter_E_Kurtz

I don't have conclusive proof, but I suspect part of the problem may have been that you didn't include the class hierarchy under CfgAmmo, CfgWeapon and CfgVehicle - I don't know whether it's essential or just good practice.

Before
Code: [Select]
class cfgAmmo
{
     class KozliceShell {};
class RPT_Kick : KozliceShell
{
};

class LaserGuidedBomb {};
class RPT_KickLegs : LaserGuidedBomb
{

After
class cfgAmmo
{
class Default{};
class BulletSingle : Default {};
class BulletBurst : BulletSingle {};
class KozliceShell : BulletBurst {};
class RPT_Kick : KozliceShell
{
};

class LaserGuidedBomb : Default {};
class RPT_KickLegs : LaserGuidedBomb
{

Similarly, for CfgWeapons (your version remindered with //)
class cfgWeapons
{
class Default {};
class LAWLauncher : Default {};
class CarlGustavLauncher : LAWLauncher {};
class AT3Launcher : CarlGustavLauncher {};
class HellfireLauncher : AT3Launcher {};
class MaverickLauncher : HellfireLauncher {};
// class MaverickLauncher {};
class RPT_Kick : MaverickLauncher
{

And finally, CfgVehicles
class CfgVehicles
{
class All {};
class AllVehicles : All {};
class Air : AllVehicles {};
class Plane : Air {};
class A10 : Plane {};
class Cessna : A10 {};
// class Cessna {};
class RPT_SteerableChute: Cessna
{

Making the above changes (to version 1) allowed me to start OFP with no error. Trying one of the demo missions, or placing a RPT unit in the editor, crashed OFP.

Update: removed all third-party addons from \AddOns folder, added RPT_SteerableChute v3, launched OFP. Still crashes on trying one of the demo missions or on placing a RPT unit.

From Flashpoint.rpt
=====================================================================
== D:\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE
=====================================================================
Exe version: Mon May 26 16:34:00 2008

graphics:  Direct3D HW T&L , Device: RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition , Driver:ati2dvag.dll 6.14.10.6822
resolution:  1280x1024x32
Addons:
  Bizon in bizon\, Su25 in su25\, 6G30 in 6g30\, BIS_WeaponPack in o_wp\, BMP2 in bmp2\
  Kozlice in kozl\, Steyr in steyr\, AH64 in apac\, Vulcan in vulcan\, Hunter in hunter\
  Kolo in kolo\, Mini in mini\, Trabant in trab\, G36a in g36a\, BRDM in brmd\
  Ch47D in ch47\, HMMWV in humr\, LaserGuided in laserguided\, Noe in noe\, OH58 in oh58\
  XMS in xms\, BIS_Resistance in o\, Flags1 in flags\, MM1 in mm-1\
  RPT_SteerableChute in rpt_steerablechute\, Bradley in m2a2\
Mods: RES
=======================================================
Date: 02/19/09  Time: 23:20:16
-------------------------------------------------------
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00650CE6
Version 1.96
Fault address:  00650CE6 01:0024FCE6 D:\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE
file:     RPT_SteerableChute kick test (day)
world:    Intro
Prev. code bytes: 7C 24 30 89 44 24 5C 8D 49 00 8B 4C 24 3C 8B 36
Fault code bytes: 8B 16 6A 00 6A 00 8D 44 24 48 50 51 56 FF 52 40

Registers:
EAX:EF78594C EBX:1087A6B4
ECX:00000000 EDX:104A3970
ESI:00000000 EDI:1087A6B4
CS:EIP:001B:00650CE6
SS:ESP:0023:0010F420  EBP:1087A670
DS:0023  ES:0023  FS:003B  GS:0000
Flags:00210282
=======================================================
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2009, 00:29:53 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Walter,

I will add the full class hierachy as you suggest. Purhaps on some systems not having it causes problems. It does not on my computer, but I do want it to work for everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I do not know why you are having the crash even after you updated the config.

Feb, 19 2009 (10:17 PM):
I just thought of something. It is a long shot, but maybe your computer does not like the RPT_SteerableChute Instructions.rtf file to be part of the PBO? Anyway, I have attached a new version with updated config.ccp as you suggest and also I have removed the RPT_SteerableChute Instructions.rtf from the PBO. The PBO now only contains files that are used by the addon.

I hope someone else can test this addon so that I will know if this is a problem for others.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2009, 06:31:03 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline felixk4

• Members
Eh... Any chance someone has this addon still????

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
felixk4,

I will re-upload the files as soon as I test a few changes I made to the config. It will be Beta V6. I do not know why the file link was broken.

New version uploaded. Now Beta v.6 final version 1.1. I think I have given up on trying to elliminate the light flash that occurs with the kicking weapon. It is for sure a game engine issue that would require a full mod to correct. I am considering making an additional parachute have made an additional parachute that does not have the kick weapon, in case mission makers want that option in their missions. Also I am considering adding a life vest have added a life vest in case a unit lands in water. I think that will be the final version . This is the final version, but I am still open to other ideas.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013, 03:35:48 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Final version 1.1 is now 1.2. See first posting for download.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2013, 16:58:37 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Lenyoga

• Professor of Misanthropology
  • Members
Judging from the dates on the messages, it seems a very long journey is finally over. I'm downloading and will try it out after work. Thanks for sharing!
As a grandmother I've got lots of gold.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Thanks! You should also try my mission "HALO Raid" that uses this addon. It is in the mission beta testing forum I no longer see in the mission testing forum, so maybe it has been reviewed? It is not in the reviewed mission forum so I think it may have been lost with one of the site crashes. It is a single mission now, but will actually become part of a campaign that is progressing ever so slowly. Being married and having a child on the way only allows me to spend about 2 to 3 hours a week on this hobby of mine. I am reluctant to shift all my slow going work to ARMA2 or soon ARMA3 because I know those will "suck" me in too much and then my wife, child and work may be neglected (I find that this creative aspect of gaming can be far more addictive than merely playing the games :D ).
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013, 16:52:27 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Lenyoga

• Members
I just tried the demo missions out and I'm impressed by how well the handling of the parachutes works - and that it's even possible with Flashpoint's crude but honest physics engine. I've tried a few unconventional things based on fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters myself, but they usually didn't end well for the pilots and their allies/enemies.
As for the muzzle flash issue at night, I remember fighting it, too - I tried changing the values for 'flash' and 'flashSize' in the config, too, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I'd have to give it a quick try on Sunday, but maybe it's possible to bypass it by using another simulation for the weapon.
And the kick - it's one of those weapons with a really high entertainment factor - it took me about 4 tries to finally knock that guy on the ground over, but it just felt too great. The only thing which might seem a bit odd is when using it in third person view.
When you upload the mission or campaign, just notify me - I haven't actually played much in ages now, I've been modding most of the time... also working on a full campaign, but it will be something more Science Fiction. And it's very true, the creative part is really addictive.

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
I just uploaded version 1.2. I found a bug where if you selected a very small radius LZ for AI units in your squad an invalid position array could occur. I know what you mean about the 3rd person view while kicking. That extra set of legs looks very strange. I was thinking of making the pilot change animations while kicking instead, but that would require an animation mod. As far as the flash bug, I tried different weapon simulations. The problem is that "shotmissile" and "shotrocket" had other strange effects. I also tried "shotshell", but I do not remember why that one had problems. Maybe I will try it again to see what happens. I tried it again and the problem is that the weapon just does not fire. I believe that aircraft are only able to fire bullets, rockets and missiles. In fact, only men and tanks can fire "shotshell" ammo types. I remember this was an issue with the life jacket. I had to make the flares and grenades fired from the life jacket flare gun use the "shotbullet" simulation because "shotshell" does not fire from boats or cars.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2014, 03:49:58 by Raptorsaurus »

Offline Lenyoga

• Members
The kick animation would not be too difficult - I remember making a siege tower with a mountain troll once. The troll was driver of the tower, just like a soldier would be a parachute's driver, and it should be possible to simply trigger an animation via script (in the troll's case, when the tower moved above a certain speed, in this case with a fired EH) which is based on the parachute animation (based on both in rtm and cfgMovesMC entry).

I just realized now, how that paragraph sounds...

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Your Halo RAID mission is till in our forums but was moved to the bone-yards with many others to keep the testing area clear. We do this to eliminate abandoned missions that will never receive an update and thus never get reviewed. If you have plans to update it, I will be happy to return it to the OFP beta area. It was actually a pretty good mission and I was surprised to not see you improve it more for review.

I've also enjoyed your steerable chutes in several of my own unreleased missions. They're far better than default. I'll have to try out the latest version and see what's what.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2013, 02:48:11 by savedbygrace »

Offline Raptorsaurus

• Editors Depot Staff
Fixed broken links and reattached file (now version 1.3).