Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFPEC Tags for RscTitles and other dialogstuff? Suggestion-> Numeric Equivalents  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Vigilante

• Members
    • Vigilante Virtual Systems & Dynamics
Hi,

as of lately we have more and more addons and mods which make extensively use of cutRsc, rscText and other dialog/control stuff. This will sooner or later bring conflicts because of same idc and idd numbers.

Unfortunately we are stuck to numbers only with the idc and idd so my proposal is:

Numerical equivalents of our OFPEC Tags in the following representation...

example:
VIG_ is my OFPEC Tag for Addons and scripts.

we count in the alphabet...
V = 22
I = 9
G = 7

so my OFPEC NumTag would be:
the increments/steps are always two digits!, numbers start from 1 for a to 25 for z and singular numbers are written 0x i.e. 01 or 04! ... 00 at the begin is nil and used for four letter OFPEC Tags, in case you have one.

The first eight digits are OFPEC Tag!

then there will be a four digit developers addon code. (which can be anything you like, just keep track of it in your addons)

is
00 22 09 07 0001

after this there are unlimited (by engine maybe??) digits for the actual idc or idc.
0022090700011234(used in config or description.ext)
is
00 22 09 07 0001 1234

0022090700011234 would be my VIG OFPEC Tag.
0022090700011234 would be my Addon/Scripts Tag.
0022090700011234 would be my Dialog/Control idd/idc.

also possible:
00220907043112434333443 would be my VIG OFPEC Tag.
00220907043112434333443 would be my Addon/Scripts Tag.
00220907043112434333443 would be my Dialog/Control idd/idc.

how about this? another entry for the OFPEC Tag List. Maybe is it possible to create php/whateverscript for converting the OFPEC Tag entries automatically to numerical Tags?...

What are the community and admins thoughts on that?

regards,
Vigilante

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2009, 19:05:14 by Vigilante »
a.k.a. PhilippRauch

check out my Addon Wiki http://www.vigilante-systems.webs.com (WIP and outdated :P)
http://www.youtube.com/user/vigilante-systems

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
Adding possibility to reserve IDDs for tags

The problem is that IDD are limited by engine. I expect it being Int32 or maybe UInt32.
IDCs are dialog depending and don't need unique numbers.

I'm currently using 737978 (ION in ASCII/unicode) and the following numbers.
The main problem is that the IDD range is limited and user require more than one IDD.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Yep, that's what I realized too - you can only have so many numbers in your IDD before the engine frazzles out. I suggest using some kind of ASCII or number-word replacement scheme if you want, since ultimately not everyone having a TAG will ever be creating any custom dialogs, and as long as the "pre" numbers are esoteric enough, chances are miniscule that they should bug each other...

As long as you avoid naming your IDDs 0, 1, 2 or 100, 200 etc. it should be fine :D

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
A braindump...

- 2^64+1 [1] is valid a IDD, but you won't be able to use findDisplay for numbers greater than ~4250000 (the limit is somewhere between 4m and 4.5m). Some addons might rely on findDisplay.

- Using the indices of the characters in the alphabet is a huge waste of the available range of numbers.

- The leading zeros will be truncated, so your IDD 00220907043112434333443 will become 220907043112434333443 which will collide with VIGD's dialog #434333443 from his addon #3112.

- What if someone registers a tag like WORLDEATERTHEARDENTWORSHIPPEROFKHORNETHEGODOFCHAOS?

Should the problem of IDD collusions ever arise it'd IMHO be the best to treat them like IP addresses: have an instance where you can register a specific range.

[1] 18446744073709551616
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2009, 21:56:08 by Worldeater »
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline T_D

• CWR
  • Troubleshooting Device
Afaik IDDs only conflict if more than one dialog with the same IDD are open which is imo never the case really. So I think it isnt worth the effort. Furthermore these long numbers are quite annoying and probably wont be accepted like the simple addon tags. Just my 2 cents  :whistle:

Offline Vigilante

• Members
    • Vigilante Virtual Systems & Dynamics
well the engine limitations again ;)
- What if someone registers a tag like WORLDEATERTHEARDENTWORSHIPPEROFKHORNETHEGODOFCHAOS?
OFPEC Tags are limited to three or four letters... right?

- The leading zeros will be truncated,
.... by engine default?

Well ASCII was a thought as well, but i never memorized the whole ascii table while at school so alphabet works fine.

yeah, creating "esoteric" pre numbers, but good to know idcs are local. didnt know that one before, one problem solved ;)

Should the problem of IDD collusions ever arise it'd IMHO be the best to treat them like IP addresses: have an instance where you can register a specific range.

--- YES, thats my point mainly i wanted the extra field inside the usermenu of OFPEC Tags, so we can add our own IDDid.

If the idd really dont collide because no two dialogs are open at the same time, thats good but...

Furthermore these long numbers are quite annoying
it makes the code more readable/the id more remembereable ... because i work with many dialogs and always creating a random esoteric number will confuse sooner or later. 

.and probably wont be accepted like the simple addon tags.

they wont be seen by anyone, anyway except the developer, the engine and maybe someone peeking in the addon. so who cares

so i stick with my, now smaller, system .. ie staying well below 4 250 000 and not careing about others dialogsconventions. praying :P

Thx for infos
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2009, 13:38:03 by Vigilante »
a.k.a. PhilippRauch

check out my Addon Wiki http://www.vigilante-systems.webs.com (WIP and outdated :P)
http://www.youtube.com/user/vigilante-systems