Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ArmA unstable after frequent ALT+TABs  (Read 2988 times)

ArmA unstable after frequent ALT+TABs
« on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:53:59 »
Hi guys,

Has anyone else had problems when repeatedly "tweaking" a custom mission and the ALT+TABbing out of ArmA to change a script causes it to lock up or crash?

On my machine, ArmA is stable under normal conditions but when I frequently ALT+TAB between a text editor (for script tweaks) and the game, after a while, the screen gets trashed with the wrong textures being applied to the GUI and sometimes a flat or unwrapped texture fills the whole screen.

I can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL... the system needs a reboot.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a feature? It was present in 1.14 and also now in 1.15b

I can post system specs if it helps?

Thanks for any help offered
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Offline Deadfast

• Members
Re: ArmA unstable after frequent ALT+TABs
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:02:39 »
I don't think this is the right section, but you could try running the game in window if you need to ALT+TAB often (shortcut parameter -window).

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:19:17 »
I felt it was more to do with editing than crashing and thought my fellow editors are more likely to have seen it.

I'll try the -window idea and post the results.

Thanks
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan 2009, 14:43:02 »
I get this very same thing. Solution: use -window. I always thought it had to do with my graphics card or something though  :dunno: Interesting that more people are having the same effects...

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan 2009, 14:56:10 »
ArmA, at least on a nvidia system, dislikes ALT + TAB and will crash after a time. Therefore use -window and all your problems are gone ;)

And if you edit ArmA.cfg and make it read only you can use -x & -y to switch the resolution. So my developer ArmA is running a lower resolution so I can easily switch and still see my code.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 2009, 15:05:55 »
I too use -window   with settings for -x=1024 -y=768. It makes it way easier to review the arma.rpt file while editing.
I'll create a faq item for this information.   :good:
Xbox Rocks

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 2009, 16:17:20 »
Thanks for all your help. The -window seems to work ok, but I prefer full screen. Just have to get my scripts right first time I guess.

Is there anyway to unlock files so I can edit them on another machine at the same time the game (not the mission) is running? I used to do this with OPF but in ArmA, when I try and save changes (from the remote machine) the files can't be saved!

Any ideas?

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:06:37 »
what files are being locked? Mission editing files or missions themselves?
Xbox Rocks

« Reply #8 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:35:52 »
Mission editing files: description, briefing, and any script that has run at least once in preview. I'm guessing other files too, but I haven't checked yet. Looks like ArmA locks everything until you quit.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 19:08:36 by bedges »

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2009, 18:08:00 »
ArmA locks them for himself.
As soon as ArmA looses the focus the will get unlocked and ArmA will reload them ;)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2009, 02:23:58 »
@DeadActionMan - Try googling Unlocker. I believe all it does is edit the NTFS flags so your data is safe. Hopefully you can use that to unlock files for editing.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:06:53 »
-window was one of the best finds I had in the last time. :) Very useful...
You can adjust the size of the window and also simultaneously work with your scripts, etc.
Alt+Tab takes too long in my opinion. ;)
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jan 2009, 12:21:00 »
Mission editing files: description, briefing, and any script that has run at least once in preview. I'm guessing other files too, but I haven't checked yet. Looks like ArmA locks everything until you quit.

Never had a problem with SQS being locked , the description and briefing do seem to work differently though , that is the changes are not instantly recognized by simply alt tabbing ,making changes and  pressing the preview ,it seems the mission has to be saved and reloaded before changes are recognizing the change in those files as well as any sounds that may be added whilst alt tabbed.although as with everything else ,its intermittent and sometimes changes are recognized lol.
  In OFP  and before the advent of - window , it was always wise to make sure your windows mode and game mode were set to the same resolution or you would experience lock ups when alt tabbing, not sure if this is still the case in arma as i have always used - window.

DB
I love ofp