Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [Campaign] The Magnificent Eight  (Read 20128 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [CAMP/QG/AD] "The Magnificent Eight" Part I
« Reply #45 on: 08 Jun 2009, 18:45:23 »
I apologize for stirring any frustration for you gambla. It's a good idea to bump your thread with a post, noting the updated version rather than just updating the download and changelog.

The removal of the "Please Review" was a general sweep through the beta thread to remove that status from threads that did not have current notification posts of updates. I apologize for being so careless :-[; I'll be more careful in the future when considering editing that status. Thank you for pointing this mistake out and I hope I haven't caused too much agony on your part. :confused:
We'll get to testing it asap. :)

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jun 2009, 07:51:20 »
Ok, looks like a lack of communication.  :) And next time i better post the update in my thread to make it more clear. Thanks in advance for testing it. I've another two missions of Part 2 nearly finished...

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: 16 Jun 2009, 17:56:31 »
EDIT: I was so tired when I wrote this feedback, I probably deserve the idiot of the year award. Anyhow, I'm making some changes to it to explain myself better.

I began running through this updated version today.
Mission 1 was a fantastic start, Not sure if you adjusted the weather or the time of operation but it seemed different sowehow. I enjoyed this mission.
Mission 2
What can I say? I hated this one. My AI buddies had no nvg's, they could not navigate the land to save their lives and it was like babysitting(and I hate babysitting). You had land, air and sea patrols woven throughout the area as though they knew exactly where I was. Well, I headed north, straight over the ridge and evaded the chopper, boat and ground patrols on the valley floor and did not encounter any enemy until we closed in on the sentries area, where I lost all of my men because they are so darn stupid. I made it to the camp and it ended.
You gave me no way to save progress after a hard fought battle(savegames make difficult missions more enjoyable and tolerable) I did not have gps to navigate the terrain. You overwhelmed the player with way too much resistance I think but it is still a good mission. At the very beginning, you printed the text "lets grab some weapons and get out of here" I think that was from the first mission and since there are no weapons to grab, you may want to consider removing it. You may also want to have only one group respond to the player and his group approaching the camp's hill base. You could also provide an audible warning to the player that there are approaching units by having the leader of the group barking orders through the effects tab of various waypoints.
Mission3
camp link does not work in the brief
This mission went well but with no help from my dead buddies, It proved time consuming to clear(but thats okay) I noticed the lock on all vehicles I tried except for the patrolling uazmg. On the way to the exit, I was running down patrols in the road without them reacting and once I hit the roadblock, I plowed right through that sucker, taking out the roadside guard and a power pole while his buddy peppered my ride with bullets(I'm actually surprised the truck didn't blow). I made it to the intersection with no other problems and the mission ended.
Mission4
Since I lost all of my guys,it was nearly impossible to take that compound. I did not have a sniper rifle, and I could not sneak in with all of the lookouts that you had overlooking every inch of dry soil. I suppose that's my fault for rushing through the last mission and not grabbing a sniper rifle or launchers. I was just trying to get through it.
The mission played through well enough despite my neglect for building a surplus in the truck.

Mission 5 played through well enough and ended. Although the cinematic where he radios back contains some text that the rest of the guys would like to continue with the mission. The problem is that the rest of the guys are dead. You may want to rewrite this area to take their deaths into consideration.

Mission6
@mission start this pops up...
Code: [Select]
'burst/' is not a class ('dispalyName ' accessed)
AFter the cutscene at the camp in the woods after getting my resuply from the boats, I get this error.............
No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgMarkers.Objective'
At the close of that cutscene was this error...
waituntil camcommitted _camera generic expression with this one...SQF syntax does not work with camera scripts so you must use the ~ symbol for delays.
Not done with it yet though.............................
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2009, 05:27:08 by savedbygrace »

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2009, 06:37:20 »
Mission6
@mission start this pops up...
'burst/' is not a class ('dispalyName ' accessed)
That's a known bug with the version of Mi24 gambla used.
@gambla: You'll probably want to update your addons list with this. It's a fix that does make the Mi24 work and no longer displays those errors. The player will have to download that along with the Mi24 itself.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:33:56 »
To conclude.....
Mission 6
Other than the error prompts, this one played out well. I would truly recommend incorporating a savegame feature that the player can use at his will to prevent repeated attempts and thus frustration on the part of the player. It was nice having plenty of time to setup a proper ambush. I used the town to bottleneck the traffic but it made it difficult to maneuver and disable the scudtrucks and drivers due to the enormous guard that you assigned to it and the amount of underbrush and trees surrounding the town.
At least the truck bug is gone.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jun 2009, 14:12:06 »
That's a known bug with the version of Mi24 gambla used.
@gambla: You'll probably want to update your addons list with this. It's a fix that does make the Mi24 work and no longer displays those errors. The player will have to download that along with the Mi24 itself.

Thanks for the info but if you look into my "known bugs"-section, i've already written that the fix just didn't work. I'm really not a beginner with this stuff.  :dunno:

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jun 2009, 14:26:39 »
I didn't know about the heli fix. I'll download it and have it ready for my next playtest of this one.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jun 2009, 07:32:17 »
Thanks, maybe you've more luck than me.

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:24:39 »
That fix I posted above is a different one to the one I showed you long ago. This one does, in fact, work. Whereas the earlier one didn't.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: 28 Jun 2009, 14:47:52 »
Oh btw, I'm waiting for you to sift through and remove the camera script error and make any other changes that you would like to before conducting another playtest. If all goes well after that, it would be ready for review if you so wish.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #55 on: 06 Jul 2009, 13:29:36 »
@Zipper5:

Thanks for the link to the new fix. It works!

Thank yousavedbygrace,

i've fixed all issues with missions 1 to 5. Regarding issues with number 6:

savegame feature    

>>>> added autosave for blufor in the road area and opfor not present

AFter the cutscene at the camp in the woods after getting my resuply from the boats, I get this error.............Code:   "No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgMarkers.Objective'"

>>>> checked the markers and couldn't find a failure, i think i've seen it before too but
couldn't reproduce this error now

At the close of that cutscene was this error...
Code: "waituntil camcommitted _camera generic expression"

with this one...SQF syntax does not work with camera scripts so you must use the ~ symbol for delays.

>>>> which one is it exactly, the first mini-intro or the outro ? i not yet could reproduce the error ?  btw.: the scenes are mostly "copy/paste", so it seems to work sometimes :(  

If nobody else has any idea, i would leave it as an Arma-bug. Shouldn't be a showstopper anyway.

Thanks again, the end is near. :)

« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 19:23:43 by gambla »

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #56 on: 19 Jul 2009, 20:28:08 »
...please let us finish this... :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jul 2009, 20:40:09 »
By all means, Finish. We will not review until you ask for it.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #58 on: 19 Jul 2009, 21:03:35 »
If you don't like to comment on the latest issues i've reported, ok. I couldn't fix these myself, but imho they are only minor things. I'll asap build and upload the final version, and will then ask you kindly for the review.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: 19 Jul 2009, 22:06:00 »
As long as the mission is error free and can be completed from start to finish, we can review it. Just keep in mind that the quality of your project is a direct result of the effort you have incorporated into and if it still contains little flaws and quirks that dampen the experience for the reviewer it will affect the score that the reviewer decides on. This in the overall picture is not very important as the score is a personal opinion. But if you are desiring a high score, than you may wish to consider accepting some of the suggestions that beta testers offer and rework those parts of your project that are hindering the experience of players.