Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Local MP edit no CD key plugin  (Read 5667 times)

Offline alef

• Members
Local MP edit no CD key plugin
« on: 06 Dec 2008, 03:35:49 »
FIRST: "no CD key" here doesn't mean you can play illegal copies with this plugin! Please read!

This plugin simulate what you usually can do just dropping your connection to the internet, using -host mode. You can't use kickduplicate=0 because the -config=server.cfg doesn't get read in -host mode.
This is a file called ws2_32.dll to put in the same arma.exe directory, and get enabled using -nocdkey and -host arguments on the command line. It will intercept the host name resolution for gamespy service, returning a "not found" answer. This is the same effect you can obtain disconnecting the network cable.

Info at BIKI: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/User:Alef/nocdkey
BI thread:http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=70538
video @ Xfire

I release the ws2_32.dll with source code. You need Cygwin to build it.

Edit: DOWNLOAD REMOVED. A guy told me he got his CD Key invalidated online using the DLL. To avoid problems, don't use it for now.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2009, 12:35:58 by alef »

Offline Manzilla

• Members
Re: Local MP edit no CD key plugin
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2008, 04:14:44 »
I have no clue what this does. Is this a script of some kind?

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2008, 04:29:03 »
ws2_32.dll is a shared file, he must mean theres a pluging for the error "gamespy service, returning a "not found" answer."
other wise ws2_32.dll is on your pc anyways in win sys 32
Semper Fi

Offline alef

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2008, 19:30:45 »
Sorry for not being much descriptive. I'll try to be more precise.
To connect to the Internet, like all the other programs on Windows, ArmA uses a DLL called ws2_32.dll, that is a file installed in C:\Windows\System32. If you put another file with the same name in the ArmA installation directory, ArmA will use that instead of the Windows one. It is like the Armalib from Kegetys (OFPWatch too?).
I've modified a program, that intercept the functions ArmA does to connect other computers. One of these functions is gethostbyname, which usually is used to obtain an internet address given a name, like www.ofpec.com returns 85.17.58.182. Now, if ArmA asks for gamespy.com to check for duplicated CD keys, if the address it's found and valid, the check will happens.
You can usually avoid this in server.cfg (-config) with kickduplicate=0, BUT if you run arma.exe with -host, you can't avoid the check. server.cfg only works with -server, the dedicated one.
Why run arma.exe with -host? Because you will jump directly at start in the Multiplayer page "Create Game", and choose a mission to edit. There, you can edit your mission, your scripts, etc. Then, you can run another arma.exe to connect the former (on LAN, server "localhost" or "127.0.0.1") . On this you will see the multiplayer page (LAN) with your server in state "Editing". As you click "Preview" in the editor arma, the other game can join. On abort, both return the mutiplayer lobby. In this way you speed up a lot the testing of multiplayer game.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2008, 06:09:17 »
Ah, took me a while to work out what you were doing, but the fact that I can only test with multiple clients on my local machine with a dedicated server using a pboed mission has been a real annoyance for a long while! It will be nice to be able to do local MP tests directly from the MP editor at last. Glad to see that it also annoyed someone with the knowledge to fix it :D

Erm, although you say you've released a DLL and source, nothing is attached to the post. No indication of a download on your BIKI page either.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2008, 06:12:09 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline alef

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2008, 10:44:44 »
Hi Spooner,
well ... the forum posting guidelines says to post here before putting on the editors depot. Do I need a special permission to upload to ofpec?
In the meantime I'll put a link in the first post as soon having put on my web site.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2008, 10:52:54 »
You can also attach it to the post using the + Additional Options... option if you edit the post :) Just zip or rar it and make sure it's less than 4mb and you should be fine!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline alef

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2008, 10:56:26 »
Done, thanks.

Offline Boreas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:36:16 »
Hi all, im trying to use this tweak to upgrade my edtiro skils, but i have a problem.
Im trying to use the NoCDKey check in union with the armalib proxy.

Thats is the error i got:

[img=http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9695/errarmalinocdkeylx8.th.jpg]

The translation is somethin like:
The aplication can not been correctly initialized  (0xc0000005) . Click Aceptar to end aplication.

Could be that error by solved in any way?

When i only try armalib its runs ok.
When i only try nocdkey chek it also runs ok.
When i run nocdkeychek + armalib it crash.

Thank u very much.

Offline alef

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 03 Feb 2009, 09:51:02 »
Thank you for the report.
I'll test it with the latest armalib too and see what can be done. It's maybe reladed to the load of DLLs inside a DLL handler.
I can't dobule post here, so please check the related BI thread .

Saludos,
alef

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: 03 Feb 2009, 14:32:18 »
You can actually double-post. Or, more precisely, you can't, since (I believe) a fancy new forum widget has been put into action which automatically merges your "double post" with your previous post  ;) So no worries!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Boreas

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2009, 19:01:17 »
Any progress with the isue Alef?
 :)

Offline alef

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 08 Feb 2009, 02:24:05 »
Just tryed to add some check in the loader, and post help in kegetys forum. But ATM nothing has worked.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2009, 10:50:47 by alef »

Offline alef

• Members
new download available
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2011, 00:37:20 »
The dll is now available again for download at dev-heaven.
Use the dll at your own risk! If you get problems using with Steam or other libraries like JayArmA2Lib, please remove the dll.