Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Turning camera around  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
Turning camera around
« on: 15 Nov 2008, 09:16:20 »
Hello all,
It's been quite a while since I last time posted here, or been active in the ArmA community at all. Been busy in my real life... got in love with airsoft hobby which I started about an year ago and I've been also seeking for a job. But here I am, back again. I might aswell see if I can make a little something to the community as a "come-back"... I've been planning to make a single player mission which I could submit here.
By the way, it's nice to see that screenshot of mine here on OFPEC on the banner. My question, and the actual purpose of this thread has actually something to do with screenshots:
I'm trying to do a panorama screenshot with the camera.sqs script. No problems with that, it's all clear to me, but is there any way to turn the camera exactly as much as I want to a certain direction, instead of manually tapping my keyboard for the direction I want, which isn't even too reliable? It would make the editing and combining the screenshots much easier.
Thanks.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
Re: Turning camera around
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2008, 11:01:15 »
Hey there Rellikki, and welcome back!  :clap:

Anyway, as to your question, there be two things you can do: trust your own mousehand, or use mathematics :D I'd go with the first one, but the second one works too.

Mouse hand: This is something a lot of people don't seem to know, so : remap the Bulldozer controls in the controls section to use the mouse movements. The bulldozer controls are also used to control the camera.sqs camera, so by mapping the turning and tilting to the mouse, you can adjust the camera much more finely, making everything a lot smoother.

The second option is more mathematical, and I can't presume to know exactly how to do it, but the theory is easy enough: just start by taking the initial position, and copy-pasting the results into your text file. Then figure out exactly how many points you have to add to the X or Y position to move it the desired amount. For instance if you figure out that at that zoom level you have to add, say, 50 to the X position to move it exactly one screen to the right, then go right ahead! This will, obviously, be more precise, but will take some initial work from you to figure out.

Good luck!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2008, 08:32:26 »
Thanks, the second option should do. I didn't think of that... I was actually hoping there was a way to turn the camera around any time I want while in the camera.sqs mode, eg. with the radio menu, so it would be much faster, but your second option should do too. I'll give it a try!

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2008, 09:48:01 »
Hey rellikki,
 dont know if this is any easier but its worth a try.

when your in camera.sqs mode if you press fire it save those co-ordinates to a clipboard and you could simply adjust the resulting save in minute or big increments to suit like :you can place an object where you want to focus in the mission editor and then take its co-ordinates from the mission.sqm,
 this probably the same as wolfrug is saying apologies if it is :).

Code: [Select]
_camera = "camera" camcreate getpos player
_camera cameraeffect ["internal", "Back"]

;=== 20:26:37
_camera camPrepareTarget [-89582.70,291.85,-1127.27]        << change these in the next command*
_camera camPreparePos [8805.39,18136.61,4.05]
_camera camPrepareFOV 0.360
_camera camCommitPrepared 10
@camCommitted _camera
;=== 20:26:47
_camera camPrepareTarget [-89682.70,291.85,-1127.27]       << * here remember format is X,Z,Y
_camera camPreparePos [8805.39,18136.61,4.05]
_camera camPrepareFOV 0.360
_camera camCommitPrepared 10
@camCommitted _camera
_camera cameraeffect ["terminate", "back"]; camdestroy _camera ;exit

Good luck
DB
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 09:53:46 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2008, 10:57:16 »
Yes, that's the same as Wolfrug explained, or at least that's how I understood it. :D I actually did it just now and it worked perfectly, so thanks. Though it would be much faster if there was a way to do it while on the camera.sqs mode, like I explained above, instead of adjusting the numbers on a script. If it isn't possible, then no problems, it works with your suggestions too. Thanks.

Here's what I did after all, for anyone who's interested. :)
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 13:55:06 by Rellikki »