Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Slow animations in ArmA  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Danoffski

• Members
Slow animations in ArmA
« on: 13 Nov 2008, 18:02:40 »
Slow animations moving for people in game, for example, getting shot because your in the process of putting the binoculars away or the gun or rocket launcher on your back! which takes several seconds of watching an enemy aim at you as you neatly put your things away waiting for death. In reality you would drop or throw them to the ground and shoot before you get shot, even if you are reloading you could stop and wip out a pistil if you had one possibly faster, so there should be a fast draw key that would drop your rocket or binoculars in order not to be shot if caught in that situation so to at least have a chance not to get shot for putting your things neaty away  ::)

So the question is dose some one have an animations mod that is compatable with other mods, to give more realistic control or freedom of movememt in game?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Slow animations in ArmA
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 04:11:07 »
As with the other concerns that you have posted in the other threads, there is no doubt many flaws to Arma. With you JUST NOW posting these comments, you must have just recently purchased the game and been effected the way we all were....disappointed. But I can say that BIS has improved on some of these areas in Arma2 (so they claim to have). I can also say that there are many mods out there that are trying to improve various aspects of the game from sound to interface to some ballistics but if you truly would like to see some improvements and a closer rendering of real world characteristics, a good way would be for you to delve into the resources that are available and learn the language to put something together on your own.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2008, 15:47:58 »
Not to my knowledge. The only way to make it less tedious would be to a) make the animation faster -> load it up in O2 and make everything just plain move faster, I guess. I have no idea how to do this. b) Replace the animation with one that has less frames/no frames, meaning pressing B just switchmoves you to the "looking through binocs" animation. Would look quite ugly though! No idea how to do this either.

ArmA is very much tied by its animations, which is perhaps a bit unfortunate. On the other hand though, it also forces people to stop thinking in the quick-moving, itchy trigger-finger styled play all the other shooters out there use : you aren't super-soldier who can turn on a dime, jump ten feet into the air and do a hundred crouches in a minute like some kind of machine. Instead you're a slightly unwieldy, bulky soldier-type who needs to manage his movements and think tactically to avoid getting shot.

Sorry I can't be of any more help - best bet is to ask how to modify animations, I suppose, if you want to do it yourself! Good luck.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Danoffski

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2008, 16:15:39 »
I can also say that there are many mods out there that are trying to improve various aspects of the game from sound to interface to some ballistics but if you truly would like to see some improvements and a closer rendering of real world characteristics, a good way would be for you to delve into the resources that are available and learn the language to put something together on your own.

Yes I realise I might be able to edit them myself! 
but I came in here hoping to discuss mods and possible edits with people who know much more than me on the subject. (at least that's what I originally assumed)
You wouldn't happen to know about things like ArmA mods avalible and editing would you? It is after all the reason I posted here, not to debate the how far a person can run away from a bullet in 50meters which is what many other people are posting here instead of the topic I posted, would you agree?

So I was hoping to find advice on the various mods that are available, I am using a few already and have been using many such mods with success.
For example                  -nosplash -mod=FDF_Sounds;@NoTracer;@ArmAEffects as a shortcut this is just one example.

But I get the feeling that when I ask questions like I how do I change the bullet speed instead of getting a bunch of links and instructions, or better yet a link to an existing mod that dose exactly what I was looking for,
I get a bunch of lame opinions telling me that bullets travel slow enough that you cant notice the delay so the game doesn't need any changing. I don't know why I took it on myself to try to educate, that was also a waste of time and  no one knew the answer to my original question as to how I might change bullet speeds in game. Please no commentary on how the game is perfect and doesn't need changing I just want to know how or if its possible to change the bullet speed. "I don't know" is also an answer and that wouldn't surprise me,
it may be very difficult to answer no offence or bashing intended! as some thought they were being bashed by me when I pointed out that they didn't have their facts straight so they got their nose rubbed in their own sh**t a bit and they threw some prissy fits saying I was bashing them, it was unfortunate that I had to embarrass them like that but it was not my intent, but it was at least fun. :D

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2008, 16:26:11 »
so they got their nose rubbed in their own sh**t a bit

it was unfortunate that I had to embarrass them like that but it was not my intent, but it was at least fun.  :D

ahh.. so friendly advice does no good i see....

expect a pm dear friend.

and here is a link... HERE to an animation pack..
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2008, 16:34:08 by loki72 »

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:17:02 »
The speed at which the animations are performed are contained within the Anims.PBO config file.
As to how this can be modified? probably pretty easy in isolation (increase all the "Speed" parameters in the config i think), but that will obviously never work well with things like online game play ... hence probably why no one has ever changed it.

As for your poor attitude on a forum where help is sort and provided on a volunteer basis ...... I'm glad to know you are a minority in a typically cooperative and mature community.

Offline Luke

• Members
  • Thank God! The OFPEC Staff are here!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:25:21 »
Danoffski, these people are trying to help answer your question or provide you with insight. 
There is no need to be rude.

I can also say that there are many mods out there that are trying to improve various aspects of the game from sound to interface to some ballistics but if you truly would like to see some improvements and a closer rendering of real world characteristics, a good way would be for you to delve into the resources that are available and learn the language to put something together on your own.

Yes I realise I might be able to edit them myself! 

You do? Then explain this next statement:

but I came in here hoping to discuss mods and possible edits with people who know much more than me on the subject.
Hmm...
(at least that's what I originally assumed)
You wouldn't happen to know about things like ArmA mods avalible and editing would you?

Yes they do, and if you see they attempt to explain to and console you,
about how it is only a game, which may or may not have flaws.

Continuing...
It is after all the reason I posted here,

Yes, we gathered that.

not to debate the how far a person can run away from a bullet in 50meters which is what many other people are posting here instead of the topic I posted, would you agree?

No. I would not. 
Three issues:
  • The first response is laggy's opinion granted, but the first two lines of wolfrungs response are an answer there.
  • Two, if multiple people have a differing opinion that are consistent with each other, listen, do not automatically naysay.
    If you do be courtious about it. Who came to whom for help?
  • Three, this is a board and a thread different from your 50 meter post.  Consider that before bringing that into it.

So I was hoping to find advice on the various mods that are available, I am using a few already and have been using many such mods with success.
For example                  -nosplash -mod=FDF_Sounds;@NoTracer;@ArmAEffects as a shortcut this is just one example.

Good form. You provide examples of the kind of format you are looking for.

But I get the feeling that when I ask questions like I how do I change the bullet speed instead of getting a bunch of links and instructions, or better yet a link to an existing mod that dose exactly what I was looking for,
I get a bunch of lame opinions telling me that bullets travel slow enough that you cant notice the delay so the game doesn't need any changing. I don't know why I took it on myself to try to educate, that was also a waste of time and  no one knew the answer to my original question as to how I might change bullet speeds in game.
Please no commentary on how the game is perfect and doesn't need changing I just want to know how or if its possible to change the bullet speed.

Wrong board. Wrong thread.  Besides wolfrung is probably not happy that his help is overshadowed by your cantankerousness.

"I don't know" is also an answer and that wouldn't surprise me,

You ask the experts, and you exect an "I don't know."? Explain that logic.

it may be very difficult to answer no offence or bashing intended! as some thought they were being bashed by me when I pointed out that they didn't have their facts straight so they got their nose rubbed in their own sh**t a bit and they threw some prissy fits saying I was bashing them, it was unfortunate that I had to embarrass them like that but it was not my intent, but it was at least fun. :D

So you intended not to bash them, even though you just claimed to one up them?
How can embarrasing someone by figuratively slamming their face into their own faeces and claiming it was fun NOT be seen derogatory???

Since your so apt to use the bulletspeed post as a sign of your authority, let us look at your friends' registration dates:

• Laggy -August 22, 2004, 09:49:59 PM
  • Wolfrung -July 11, 2002, 12:20:55 PM, Addon Depot Administrator
  • bedges -December 04, 2004, 03:31:26 PM, General Administrator
  • savedbygrace -March 21, 2004, 05:45:46 AM
  • loki72 -April 28, 2008, 10:58:57 PM, OFPEC Intel Depot Staff
  • Sparticus76 -March 13, 2007, 12:40:54 AM

and myself
  • Luke -June 20, 2008, 11:09:25 PM

Let us see, your profile says you registered on November 13, 2008, 04:49:29 PM GMT+0.

It is approximately 5:17 AM on November 16, 2008.
That gives you a status of member, and an experience of 2 1/2 days.
Learn to hold thy spleen lest the anger of the powers that be is awakened.

I may not be an admin, and therefore not seen how the site works like they do,
but I've seen their business end, and it is not fun to be in their crosshairs.

Welcome to OFPEC, we are here to help you and answer questions,
but it is best you not buck right out of the gate.

Luke
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2008, 07:27:08 »
Okay, thanks for the messages of support. Unfortunately Danoffski won't be able to read them since he was banned 2 days ago and won't be back.

Discussion about how to alter animation speed are still welcome in this thread; it may be of benefit to others in the Community.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2008, 14:03:06 by Planck »

Offline hamis

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2008, 10:29:49 »
Discussion about how to alter animation speed are still welcome in this thread; it may be of benefit to others in the Community.
It is quite esily done by changing speed value in anims config.There was an addon for OFP which showed anim names in mission editor.Someone should remake it for arma.

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2008, 02:40:00 »
There is Kronzky's AnimationViewer.
try { return true; } finally { return false; }