Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [CO 1-08] No Way Out Part 1  (Read 2211 times)

[CO 1-08] No Way Out Part 1
« on: 11 Feb 2008, 08:28:08 »
No Way Out Part 1 - Co 1-8

Full Size

Summary:
     This mission is a full featured coop escape and evasion mission for up to
     eight players.  It is of the realistic open ended variety.  This mission
     is designed to be tough, and is largely geared towards squads, clans, and
     other groups of people that play together often.

Features:
     Selectable difficulty and time of day
     Randomised patrols which call for backup when in trouble
     Voice acting (not computer generated voices)
     Two full cutscenes
     Full Dedicated Server Support

Compatibility:
     The release version has only been tested on 1.08.  Other versions of the
     game should work, but earlier versions may not.

Singleplayer/Multiplayer:
     This mission is multiplayer only. It can be played solo, however, this
     must still be done in the multiplayer game area.

This mission fully supports dedicated servers.

JIP is disabled due to gameplay considerations.

Home Page:
     http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/misc....ex.html

Required Addons:
     None.

Hosting:
     You can host this anywhere you want.  I  would prefer if you included
     a link back the home thread, as that is where we'll be posting updates,
     answering questions etc.

Installation:
     Unpack the PBO file into C:\YourArmaDirectory\MPMissions\

Version History:
V1.0:
     Release

License:
     Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-
     commercial and adheres to the BIS terms of use. Any derivative works
     cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end
     user has.

Credits:
     ColonelSandersLite                  - Mission Design
     Inquisitor                               - Voice of Andrej
     The 72nd Blackheart Battalion   - Play Testing
          Merkava
          Baker3
          Rod
          yourmom
          Force Recon
          Memphis Belle
     The Pie Spy                           - Play Testing
     Kryptonite!                             - Play Testing

(My apologies if I missed anyone)

Known Issues:
     GPS on the special forces units in arma 1.08 cannot be disabled without
     making the mission addon dependent.  I strongly suggest you play this
     mission without using it however.

ColonelSandersLite@hotmail.com

Comments, feedback, bug reports, etc are always welcome.

Stay Tuned For Part 2 :D

Download:
     Courtesy of Armaholic.com
Everything I have released for ARMA can be found here.

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Re: [CO 1-08] No Way Out Part 1
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 06:15:58 »
CSL, 

I gave your mission a go and liked it alot.  I played alone a few times, and it was too hard, so I unpboed it and changed it to respawn="GROUP" so the AI remained as playable.   I was then able to finish it.  Here goes:

Overview:  Great Picture.

Briefing:  Had all it needed.  No spelling errors I could see.

Mission:

1. Liked the initial blast of the helicopter, and the fires looked really good.  Since I had Unpboed your file I looked at the burning vehicle script.   Mind if I use that in the future?

2. Initial song was cool.

3. The 3 minute plus run during the song is a bit long for an impatient guy like me.  OK first time while building tension of first contact.  But if you have to restart it gets old.

4. First time (with no AI) I went all the way to first civilian contact.  I took out a two man patrol along the way.  Maybe two...can't remember now.  Cutscene well done.  Like the slow advancing on the civ.  Voice acting very good.  I made my way back to fuel dump, and since it was only me I was much more cautious.  I took out all fuel dump guards, and blew the dump.  Planted a few charges, and went up a hill North of road to wait for tanks.  Got spotted by a patrol that was drawn to the dump, and got killed.

5. Later (with AI and group respawn), I chose to go directly to the fuel dump from the crash site.  We approached from the woods to the South East.   Had a good tense firefight at edge of fuel dump.  Was surprised by a few eastern units to east of dump in the woods.   Lost five guys here.  Spent a long time searching the woods for my dead leader who had the satchels and RPG (my fault).  Dead bodies at night are hard to spot in the woods, even with NVG.  Planted charges on the road and went up hill to the north with 2 AI.  When tanks came, blew charges.  Spacing wasn't quite right so only got lead tank.  At this point, the free look bug got me, and could not turn my soldier.   Had to respawn, which killed the one player, so then only had 2 guys left.  Moved on towards Ixel.  Got the first cutscene, but noticed how it varied because I took out the fuel dump first.  Good thinking.  Encountered 3 man patrol, took them down.  Then a 2 man patrol, and took them down.  Made way to farmhouse and truck, and mission over.

Outro:  Good outro movie showing soldiers investigating fuel dump, etc.  Good song.

Overall:  I liked this mission.  Wished I had local friends to do coop with (unfortunately ARMA is too "boring" for them....COD4 people!).  By the way, your code is very clean (I'm a software engineer).

I encountered no bugs.  My only suggestions are:

1.  Allow Group Respawn (personal preference of mine).
2.  Shorten the initial three or four minute run with no contacts.
3. I was surprised it ended with the truck.  I expected one or two more objectives from there.

Keep up the good work.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 07:05:40 »
I gave your mission a go and liked it alot.

Always nice to hear that.

1. Liked the initial blast of the helicopter, and the fires looked really good.  Since I had Unpboed your file I looked at the burning vehicle script.   Mind if I use that in the future?

My terms of use for everything I do for arma (it's in the readme):
Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-commercial and adheres to the BIS terms of use. Any derivative works cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end user has.

Notice I don't even require credit, although it is appreciated when given.

Just FYI, it's a derivitive of this script:
http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/scripts/BurningBuildings/index.html

It's just scaled down for vehicle fires instead of buildings and made mp compatible.

I will also be releaseing standalone versions of the burning vehicle script, along with the patrol script, and maybe a few others sooner or later.  It's just a matter of when I get around to it.

(bits cropped for the sake of space mostly)
Cutscene well done.  Like the slow advancing on the civ.  Voice acting very good.  Got spotted by a patrol that was drawn to the dump, and got killed.  Later (with AI and group respawn), I chose to go directly to the fuel dump from the crash site. Moved on towards Ixel.  Got the first cutscene, but noticed how it varied because I took out the fuel dump first.  Good thinking.

Outro:  Good outro movie showing soldiers investigating fuel dump, etc.  Good song.

Glad you liked the cutscene stuff.  A lot of work went into them.

Wished I had local friends to do coop with (unfortunately ARMA is too "boring" for them....COD4 people!).

That's easy to solve.  Hook up with a clan/squad/guild/whatever online.  I suggest the 72nd Blackheart Battalion (find us just by setting your arma mp browser filter to 72nd), but I'm biased.

By the way, your code is very clean (I'm a software engineer).

Thanks, I take pride in my code.

I encountered no bugs.  My only suggestions are:

1.  Allow Group Respawn (personal preference of mine).
2.  Shorten the initial three or four minute run with no contacts.
3. I was surprised it ended with the truck.  I expected one or two more objectives from there.

Keep up the good work.

I appreciate your suggestions.

1: Making it "dead is dead" was an artistic decision that I'm not going to change.  I know it's a little harsh for some peoples taste, but it suits me at least.

2: Since the patrols are random, depending on which way you go and your luck, enemy contact can happen a lot faster than that.  I will consider moving the crash site somewhat for the final version though.

3: I thought it was hard enough as is with no respawn.  It's also a good breaking point, plot wise, where I can lead the players into part 2.  That's the rational for the decision to end it there anyways.  Expect another 2 or 3 of these missions, but I won't give spoilers on what I have planned.
Everything I have released for ARMA can be found here.

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2008, 22:02:23 »
I re-played this mission coop last night, and thought I would report on it again.

I think this really is one of the better coop missions out there, mainly because it fairly realistic.  Most missions are way over the top:  waves of enemies, scores of objectives to destroy, etc.   This mission has tension, with primary goal to evade capture.  However, encountering small (realistic) enemy patrols is highly likely, giving short bursts of violent action.  You must be aware at all times to survive.

The diversion is interesting.  And there is no requirement to take on all the tanks (but you can if you choose).

We had 3 to 4 players, and really enjoyed it.

Hope your sequel is in the works.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...