Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [co04]The Road To Everon  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Ionflux

• Members
(Review Completed) [co04]The Road To Everon
« on: 16 Oct 2008, 22:41:03 »
The Road to Everon v1.4

Description:

The mission takes place two days after the attack on The East Region, you are a special task force called in for reconnaissance missions. Take this mission on the way you want it. Go in silent and take the enemy by surprise, snipe from hills and move in or move in and take the towns by force. We implemented some great scripts to make this mission one of a kind.. hopefully :P. There is not much more to say about the mission.  :good: Enjoy

Mission Name: The Road to Everon
Mission version: 1.4
Mission side: BLUFOR
Mission type: multiplayer Coop
Players
: 4
Size: 1.7mb
Language: English
Mission time: Early morning to day
Required addons: none

scripts:
-Revive AI-enabled by Norrin
-A-bomb by Gaia(removed)
-Arti by Mr-Murray
-OnMapClick Artillery by SoLo
-Vehicle Respawn Script by {nBs}-Myke-{CO}
-ingame by myself

Change log(latest updates only):

v1.4
-modified briefing
-heal at ammo dumps
-added binoculars
-minor bug fixes
-modified Cerro Obrego
-improved EI Artillery

v1.3
-Start Location changed
-Briefing changed
-Whole first part of mission removed
-Added 4 player co-op
-Added enemy infantry
-Changes hill Cerro Obrego
-Added US ammo dump
-improved Everon
-Mission hardened
-Minor Bug fixes

v1.2
-Added Supplies in Gaula
-Removed chopper extraction
-Changed mission ending
-Minor bug fixes
-Troops to defend Gaula
-Troops to defend Everon

v1.1
-Mission not ending fixed
-Populated Everon
-bug fixes

Thanks & Credits:
1rony, Maximus, members of Armaholic.

OFPEC Download:
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=184

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2009, 15:05:13 by Cheetah »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [co03]The Road To Everon (please review)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2008, 15:04:12 »
You need to identify which addons are used here, if any. Since its on everon I assume there is atleast 1 addon. Please provide the links so we don't have to guess.
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ionflux

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2008, 15:20:10 »
Sorry about that.. thread updated

*edit*

I hope you guys haven't forgotten about me  :dunno:
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2008, 22:59:16 by Ionflux »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2008, 05:31:31 »
Breifing
The description in the lobby is cut off. You should shorten it...
No pic in the briefing. You should have one.
The briefing is not brief. Hehe You have a lot of information in there and by the looks of the objectives its quite a big mission. Consider moving all the objectives on to one page. It looks a bit sloppy having half the objectives on two pages.

No weapons selection... should have one... will investigate the base a little more. Ok didn't find any ammo, and I hate the m4. Give the player a chance to choose some better weapons. I'd rather have a m16 over the m4. Ok nevermind I found it at the second base.

Mission
No intro, consider adding even a small one... The short drive you could turn this into a easy intro. I forgot to pick up ammo at the base before I left.

On 2 tries the helo was shot down. On the 3rd try the helo never went over the hill. it stayed stuck. I gave up after that.

Some notes:
You have a lot of info coming at the player, I think you should try to minimize some of it. especially the warnings about waiting for the GL to enter. You should be able to solve these issues with scripts.

You have too many objectives which in my eyes aren't really objectives, we never did anything we just jumped from one vehicle to another.

You have spent alot of time being ambient life from what I've seen and I have died twice in the helo and gave up just getting to the dest. This mission has lots of potential! I like what I see so far. Atlas its just me playing by myself, should have the mates rounded up tomorrow night for a better test.

Just to add I think this mission is beta and not ready for review. I would change the title as you may get more responses to beta.

« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2008, 05:58:31 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ionflux

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2008, 22:04:32 »
Will start making changes today

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2008, 06:00:59 »
Another go at it tonite, with two people...

Helo didn't get up the hill but we jumped out this time. Managed to fight the battle in Modesta - tough fight through the hills and into town.

Gaula battle was good didn't die to much through here, found it pretty easy...

Valro battle was short, we ended up driving into town and shot it up pretty easily. We then got the objective completed message but there was still a bit of a fight left, took a few insertions to complete it.

East Artillery, this was also pretty easy, didn't die at all.

The Everon battle was a big disappointment, I would of expected it to be a much tougher fight into town. Instead we respawned a couple of times and with all the travel time, this west team came into town and did all the work for us. I think you should spruce this part up and include a closer respawn point.

Some notes:

Flags should come down or change once you have taken the area.

West weapons in east base, this is a tough sell if your going for more of a realism aspect of it. You could toughen it up by using ammo crates to limit the type of weapons available to the player.

The long insertion really dragged on especially once you got down to Everon.

You should disableAI  when there aren't enough slots to fill so you don't have this other unit respawning and traveling around.

Mission lasted about 2 hours(on the first real go at it), and with 3 people and more tries I'm sure that time will come down significantly.

I saw this error in the rpt file "Generating ST on the fly is very slow" I never saw this before but it happened when the helo wouldn't cross over the hill.

I also saw this error "Cannot find a sound file sound\ca\weapons\data\sound\explosion_large1.wss" I'm not sure if its a ArmA quirk or if it was something you did...

Overall

Its a decent mission, a new player to ArmA would really have fun with this mission as its fairly simple and with infinte revives you can complete it easily. Its very apparent you spent a lot of time on the bases and details and ensuring that the player knows what they are doing. You need to fix some bugs and I would really recommend removing some of those first objectives maybe even replacing them with custom voices.
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ionflux

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:14:31 »
Thanks Hoz, I started working at it again, made allot of changes, hopefully you will find it a little better this time :-[. This is only my 2 mission that I have made so I can understand why its not really impressive. Though there is something off that could maybe just be my imagination, when I went back and unpbo my mission I saw that name changes was made which was weird. But all and all I think you will like the new version. You see the thing is, we went to a couple of lans, tested the mission over and over again using the original version 1.2 and we did not find 1 problem mate, when I downloaded the mission again, I got the same problem with the chopper not going over the hill. Doesn't matter now though, I removed a lot of things that is not needed.

Thanks for the input mate, I only hope that when I am complete with my next version that you would still want to test it.

Mission updated: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4011

v1.3
-Start Location changed
-Briefing changed
-Whole first part of mission removed
-Added 4 player co-op
-Added enemy infantry
-Changes hill Cerro Obrego
-Added US ammo dump
-improved Everon
-Mission hardened
-Minor Bug fixes
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2008, 15:38:24 by Ionflux »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [co03]The Road To Everon (Beta Test)
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2008, 22:22:52 »
Update the first post with your new version and fixes. You can also attach your mission directly to the post.

I forgot to mention we never used the artillery never really had a reason too,  we did try to give it a go but had no luck that we could see or hear with it.

We'll add the new version to the list for our next session.

edit
We gave it another go last night...

I liked the first bit of travel in the other version, that part really showed you took the time and payed attention to detail. I think it was a mistake to remove this part rather then correct the broken parts. I think you could of removed the helo part and had the players drive in. you could of had a camera script follow the vehicle while you did some introductions.

The first battle wasn't as spectacular as it was the last time we played. We actually moved into Modesta fairly easily, and captured it. It seemed like in our attempt in the night before the whole danger area part moved into modesta town but not this time. once we took the town the reinforcements came in and finished the job for us.

Over all this time around it seemed alot easier, you might benefit from having some well hidden guys around the towns, in the houses ontop of roofs, check out Fleepee's light house mission, he does an excellent job of hiding units and combined with the probability of presences you can give the player a reason to come back and increase the replayability factor.

We never got a chance to complete the mission as the mission was freezing up for one player. We ended up quitting after the battle at valor.

Notes:

You should disableAI  so that the other AI units are tagging along. With the respawns and revives it doesn't make much sense to have them tagging along.

Units with NV goggles still on, well into the battle. not your fault I think but for the first couple battles even when the sun is up the ai still have the NV on.

Running the salvo missles was causing one guy to lag out and freeze up.

One guy had to rejoin, and when he did he received some script errors we didn't record them unfortunately. but I will see if I can getthem from him.

You switched the mission from 3 players to 4 players. You should reflect this in the desc. i think it says a 3 person CO mission.

Include your promotional pics in the zip file.

Include a pic within the breifing. it dresses up the briefing and most people expect to see one here.

The mission is like 1.4 mb but I didn't hear any custom sounds, the size seems large for mission without custom sounds. I didn't decompile the mission but maybe you have some sounds and they arne't working.

At the US ammo dump, your missing a crate with the g36 ammo, where at the respawn you provide this crate. Not really an issue but if its a US ammo dump you should include all the ammo for the US.

« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2008, 15:27:06 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ionflux

• Members
Re: [co03]The Road To Everon (Beta Test)
« Reply #8 on: 07 Nov 2008, 11:47:07 »
Change log:

v1.4
-modified briefing
-heal at ammo dumps
-added binoculars
-minor bug fixes
-modified Cerro Obrego
-improved EI Artillery

You should disableAI  so that the other AI units are tagging along. With the respawns and revives it doesn't make much sense to have them tagging along.

This is the only thing that I didn't change, the script that I am using is AI-enabled, some guys on the BI forum said that they preferred the AI, when you play the mission alone the AI can be really helpful. Thanks to Norrin

Download

« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2008, 11:50:13 by Ionflux »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [co04]The Road To Everon (Beta Test)
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2008, 06:45:47 »
Did you fix the problem with the lag  or find any issues?

Running the salvo missles was causing one guy to lag out and freeze up.
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ionflux

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2008, 18:30:04 »
Checked the script went over it, found no issues, tested it with other player and no issues. I honestly don't know what happened.  ???

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2008, 18:33:57 »
Ok We'll give it another go as is and see...

Edit:
Well we played through it again tonite..

Change the repawn message to say something other then Position 1, there is no postion2 and it would look better if it said something like outpost or base or ammo cache.

The two trucks seem to come in late at modesta always after the town is clear.

Everything else seemed to work well. We played for 1.5 hours with 3 people.

Edit2:  You should hide the DAC init when the mission starts.

EDit3: I'll review this one...
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2008, 02:10:18 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: (Review Complete) [co04]The Road To Everon
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2008, 17:01:50 »
Review completed and available in the Mission Depot.
Xbox Rocks