Version 1.2Mission: Hog's Breath
Mission by: HailStorm
Current version: 1.2
Story: conduct an air strike on an enemy convoy in the South Sahrani desert.
Version needed: ArmA 1.14
Type: Single Player only
Island: Sahrani (sara)
Addon Requirements: noneSpecial Features:
- Two Separate difficulty Levels; Veteran difficulty won't be a milk run!
- 60+ lines of recorded dialog, using proper aviation radio terminology and lingo
- a level of realism and immersion not yet seen in an aircraft-related mission, including actual aerodrome procedures
- built-in contingency plans; break your jet, and you (may) not be forced to walk home!
- it's not a mission that forces the spamming of high-powered weapons! think tactically to complete your objectivesa little bit about this mission:
I've had this in the making for a long time, well over (heh, two years now). The reason it's taken so long to do, was because I really, really didn't like the flying model in ArmA, yet also felt that flying was too under-appreciated at the same time, so a lot of it was me working on it for a week or two, then getting frustrated with all the bugs and everything and leaving it for a while, then coming back to do some more later.
This mission is both a revolt against those "fly-straight-to-this-area-and-spam-missiles-rinse-repeat" objectives that seem to be the norm with flying missions in ArmA, as well as proving the concept that you can take a relatively simple mission and take it to another level by introducing a standard of immersion and realism not yet seen in a mission of this type. it started as a simple play-around in the mission editor, to a personal challenge to see how far I could take the concept/premise. so, the mission may seem have echoes of a really newbish mission (eg. waypoints, unimaginative targets, etc.) but I've attempted to show that these things, that are often the cause derision due to lack of realism, actually can add to the immersion if you put it in a finely polished and executed package - to show what you really can and cannot do with ArmA.
It's also the first mission I've ever considered fit for a beta release, so it should be interesting to see how it goes.Change log
- v0.898 beta
- v0.899 beta
- Locations of way points and flightpath placed on map via markers.
- Altitude cap raised from 100m AGL to 150m.
- mission will no longer immediately end upon the convoy reaching it's destination when the player has ejected and is attempting to exfiltrate - mission will wait till the player has completed the exfiltration before moving to the lose outro.
- Removed R-73 AA loads from 2 of the 4 interceptor Jets.
- added several smoke grenades to the gear screen.
- ammunition cargo removed from the trucks parked in the Hangars.
- Convoy driver skill upgraded.
- A few spelling errors and weather report errors rectified.
- v0.941 beta
- added new (and much improved) 'intro' and 'outro - win' cut scenes.
- fixed the evac call from the island not triggering correctly.
- added more enemies to the second objective
- added new dialog and radio messages
- added "bitchin' betty" audio warning track to the below the radar segment. The player will now get an audible "WARNING: ALTITUDE!" from betty if they are flying above 110 metres, to warn them of the altitude infringement at 150 metres.
- altered November Two wreck demolition.
- v0.944 beta
- fixed radio chatter to proper 'cfgRadio' format - radio calls will now not overlap or play with time acc. on.
- added two difficulty levels - regular difficulty features less enemies, and a higher altitude cap.
- added repair/re-arm point at the western end of the airfield. unlimited reloads on regular difficulty, a single re-load on veteran.
- tweaked trigger positions and added new radio clips to improve mission immersion and resilience.
- v0.945 beta
- Added new script that makes the 'destroy convoy' waypoint lock onto any surviving ural trucks (regular difficulty only)
- Added new radio call warning the player when intercepting fighters are within 4KM (roughly two miles)
- FIXED: properly Removed the R73 missiles off 2 interceptor jets.
- rejigged some trigger parameters to enable the mission to be able to be completed using alternative vehicles (like an AH-1).
- waypoint text now uniformly changed to capitals (OFP style)
- edited a frame in the intro movie to get a better profile shot of the A-10
- Final Release Version
- Added Credits
- fixed several spelling errors in the briefing
- changed outro flyover altitude to hopefully prevent crashing
- changed several parameters of the Obj. Bravo helicopters (waypointing, Weapons)
- Added code to prevent abandoned boats from preventing the mission progressing
- Extended the UAV intro to better sync with the sound effects
Anyway everyone, hope you have fun with this, it's a flying mission that that I hope should have a different 'feel' to it. oh, and by the way, I apologize in advance for my really, really bad American accents - I'm Australian, so it's not really natural for me to do them (though the air traffic controller is supposed to have an Aussie accent!).
Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.