Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Falklands Mod Progress  (Read 83238 times)

TkKivi

Re:Falklands Mod Progress
« Reply #105 on: 06 Jan 2003, 10:53:44 »
Hey about the island, you could make a grass and debris patch like 50x50m and place them all across the island, would give a nice look

DeLiltMon

« Reply #106 on: 06 Jan 2003, 18:39:58 »
Very nice, wish I'd thought of using a Chimp for my first test of the Landy - I ended up in the Nogova river.
I've got MOD security clearance, is that real VTOL? If so your the first ones I've seen that have cracked it, well done to you sirs!

Eviscerator

« Reply #107 on: 06 Jan 2003, 19:08:01 »
ive seen a working VTOL script in RTS3 which looks to be the same way they are doing this (through the action menu)
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2003, 19:10:21 by Eviscerator »

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #108 on: 06 Jan 2003, 21:31:02 »
somehow i knew you would evis, hey at least we (KLINK) got it working in the sexiest plane ever :D

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #109 on: 07 Jan 2003, 03:47:37 »
What is RTS3 a mod ???

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #110 on: 07 Jan 2003, 09:30:39 »
its a game mode like command and conquer where u build your own base and vehicles and u got to make your own money, not my sort of "GAME MODE"

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #111 on: 07 Jan 2003, 20:38:31 »
Sea Harrier on patrol
San Carlos Bay
Falklands Islands
April 1982

Monkey Lib Front

« Reply #112 on: 08 Jan 2003, 01:06:54 »
Looking sweet, just wondering did they have the Ski Ramp in the falklands, and if they do are you having problems with it?

Ash

« Reply #113 on: 08 Jan 2003, 01:11:27 »
They did indeed have the ski ramp on board HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes.. We havent found any problems with them as the models arent yet complete  :)
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2003, 01:11:46 by Ash »

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #114 on: 08 Jan 2003, 01:33:51 »
of course they did  ;)

basically a harrier will never normally take off using VTOL - this is because it uses too much fuel to actually lift the Harrier up - this is based on RAF SOP's (standard operating procedures)

on combat missions, the pilot wants as much fuel as he can, so he can last as long as possible, and have reserves just to make sure (never know what could happen). A VTOL takeoff will waste too much - so they invented the ski ramp - this unique system cuts take off distances in half...

basically the pilot will set the nozzels tp full back and move off at full thrust... as the harrier climbs the ramp, he will flick the nozzles full down at the last minute to give lift - and hey presto, you have one of the smallest air craft carries in service and an easy takeoff... landing is done by VTOL - as all they are doing is slowing down their decent, not fully lifting their weight - and also you are home dry, so fuel isnt a concern

as for the Marines wasp class carrier - no ski ramp and consequently a longer take off - not sure if they have catupults - im sure they dont, they use a similiar method as the brits, but dont have the ski ramp which makes the carrier smaller. They deffinatly land VTOL.

now the new pics - great to see the pilot fills the cockpit - looks perfect - the textures on the last pic look a bit dodgy - maybe its the pic/pc/ or lighting.

btw, the pilots will take off VTOL - but not during combat - unless under very unusual circumstances - or if they wanna have some fun.

one question - how are u going to get the AI to use it? as in, i would like to see a working script that makes the AI use VTOL correctly - this has to be one of the most eagerly awaited addons :thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Ash

« Reply #115 on: 08 Jan 2003, 02:01:28 »
The poor AI is having a hard time using it atm, but it's being worked on as we speak  :joystick:

Eviscerator

« Reply #116 on: 08 Jan 2003, 10:25:40 »
of course they did  ;)

basically a harrier will never normally take off using VTOL - this is because it uses too much fuel to actually lift the Harrier up - this is based on RAF SOP's (standard operating procedures)

on combat missions, the pilot wants as much fuel as he can, so he can last as long as possible, and have reserves just to make sure (never know what could happen). A VTOL takeoff will waste too much - so they invented the ski ramp - this unique system cuts take off distances in half...

basically the pilot will set the nozzels tp full back and move off at full thrust... as the harrier climbs the ramp, he will flick the nozzles full down at the last minute to give lift - and hey presto, you have one of the smallest air craft carries in service and an easy takeoff... landing is done by VTOL - as all they are doing is slowing down their decent, not fully lifting their weight - and also you are home dry, so fuel isnt a concern

as for the Marines wasp class carrier - no ski ramp and consequently a longer take off - not sure if they have catupults - im sure they dont, they use a similiar method as the brits, but dont have the ski ramp which makes the carrier smaller. They deffinatly land VTOL.

now the new pics - great to see the pilot fills the cockpit - looks perfect - the textures on the last pic look a bit dodgy - maybe its the pic/pc/ or lighting.

btw, the pilots will take off VTOL - but not during combat - unless under very unusual circumstances - or if they wanna have some fun.

one question - how are u going to get the AI to use it? as in, i would like to see a working script that makes the AI use VTOL correctly - this has to be one of the most eagerly awaited addons :thumbsup:

Is it because of the fuel? I saw some program on the harrier ages ago and it said its because of the water to cool the engines, they only have about 90 seconds of hover available and with no alternative conventional landing available you better save that :) Also theres the problem with the weight of a fully loaded harrier, anyway...as ive already said, pretty harrier :)

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #117 on: 08 Jan 2003, 12:37:19 »
Thats a new one on me Evis...

I'll ask one of my mates (Works for "QinetiQ"[A company which does all of the research into design and development of new kit, bit of a crappy re-name from DERA] for the MoD, fixing Harriers for a living, if anyone knows he will...)

Monkey Lib Front

« Reply #118 on: 08 Jan 2003, 14:23:43 »
I could not remember if they implemeneted the ski ramp after the falklands or not,

anyway i thought it only could Hover fo 90 seconds because the Harrier only has enough water to cool the engines for that amount of time anything after that and the engines will overheat, also because at the start of a mission the aircraft will be fully loaded with ordinance therefore a heavier load and more consumption.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #119 on: 08 Jan 2003, 16:10:00 »
fuel, water, same difference - well it wont take off using it because its just to heavy and puts too much strain on it.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion