Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Posting Features  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Luke

• Members
  • Thank God! The OFPEC Staff are here!
Posting Features
« on: 23 Aug 2008, 01:29:02 »
I noticed (not too) recently that numerous features have disappeared such as glows, super/scubscripts, and underlines.

What Happened?

Luke
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Posting Features
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2008, 09:38:42 »
We noticed that a handful of members were using these features excessively in posts, so we removed them. OFPEC has for a long time been focussed on providing help for editors clearly and without clutter: applying these effects to text within a post is distracting.

Offline Luke

• Members
  • Thank God! The OFPEC Staff are here!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 05:01:36 »
Dear Bedges;

I respectfully ask for the readmission of the superscript, subscript and underline features.

I can understand that the features removed can detract from attention to topic and bandwith,
and I have been guilty of such things myself.
(While I won't say where, you'll find out, as while Big Brother is watching, Bedges is watching Big Brother  :whistle:  :P)

Anyway I ask for these three features,
as they have been helpful in displaying plus-minus (an underlined plus),
and degrees (a superscripted lower-case "o").

I cannot think of any way to abuse the Super/subscript (maybe saying this damnning this petition),
and the only way to abuse underline that I see, is to use enough that if the weight of the data itself were its weight in narcotics,
it would have to be enough overdose the world 3 times over.

Anyway the only features I have be guilty of abusing are (all right, so maybe I will tell you  ;))
glow ond one occasion and sporadic massive (20pt) font resizing.

Anyway, I understand all removals except the three I petition, and just to set that straight, are:
1) Underline
2) Subscript
3) Superscript

and so respectfully ask you to consider adding them to the toolbar once again,
and maybe have font resize take their place (I've not seen anyone use it to date, but myself).

Thank you for at least listening.

Sincerely,
Luke
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2008, 08:12:55 »
I've used the text size options pretty often. I like giving my text special touches by the use of it.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2008, 10:57:47 »
Whilst superscript/subscript can sometimes be useful there is always a way to make whatever you want to say make sense without them.
Underline is mostly used to draw attention to some phrase or sentence, there are other methods available ...... for example, bold, italics and, as mentioned already, text size, either with or without bold/italics.

To indicate degrees for another example just spell it out in english.   :cool2:

Planck
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2008, 11:01:44 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.