Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)  (Read 32691 times)

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will
« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:36:39 »
Hi Undeceived!

I retried your mission and I must regret that it is WAY too difficult for me. I got as far as almost to the "crown" atop the mountain, yet contrary to last time there are at least 2 different soldiers converging on me, no chance to finish them off. And this despite me taking care to kill all soldiers in my way during infiltration.

If you ever decide to lower the difficulty I'll give your mission another spin.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2008, 21:33:50 »
Hi Mathias!

Can you tell me if the two soldiers were exactly at the "crown" position (or a few meters around it)? Or were you talking about the two soldiers + sniper at the fire aprox. 100 meters south of the crown?

Can I also ask: Did you follow the green markers which indicate the best route to the position? This should make things a bit easier...

Thank you for your feedback!
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2008, 22:43:54 »
Hi Undeceived!

I did follow the green arrows during a first attempt a week ago, but this time, I tried to walk on the flanks of the ridge, a few meters to the side of it. I was a few meters south of the crown position, and I had killed the guard post with camo net southwest of it, where a fire was also present. The 2 soldiers + sniper that you describe converged on me from slightly behind and left.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #48 on: 28 Dec 2008, 08:07:45 »
Undeceived,

Excellent mission so far, but I hit a bug or something...

Intro:
Good camera scripting, I liked the interesting shots. Sort of didn't make sense. But I was hoping the mission was clear up all of it.

Briefing:
Good briefing with plenty of detail. Not much I could find wrong, didn't check spelling as I assume it was already checked quite a bit.

Selected the G36C and full mags for MP5, G36C, and M9S.

Mission:
After insertion, I move through the forest to the crown point. I evaded a patrol shortly after insertion, and then bypassed the first tent area. The touch with the slaughtered civilians was a good touch. At the OP just before the crown, I took them out with my MP5. I then saved which unknowingly wasted one, and moved into my OP at the crown. By the way, if you could let me know how the Russians managed to get that ZSU up on top of that mountain, I would really like to know ;). Anyway, I liked the cut scene - some good camera shots. I would really rather have a save here after the cut scene. It was rather exasperating having to watch the same cut scene about five times. I would usually become target practice for the armed soldier next to the OBJ.

After the Spetz Naz exfil'd, I waited until green light, and took the shot. I killed the main OBJ as well as the other two soldiers, and then exfil'd to the north. I slipped past the BRDM-AT and eliminated the three OPFOR at the shelter, than ran all the way back to the exfil. The storm sounds, etc. made it pretty tense on the run. I was afraid to turn around and find those Black Venom Spetz Naz on my tail or something. Excellent ambiance. Then I found out I had to make it back to Pacamac. Grrrrr. LONG flipping hump over the hill.

Anyway, I made it over the mountains to Hunapu, avoiding the town after I was yelled at. (I was really just trying to talk to the civilians running toward the town.) I found the little bay with some OPFOR, and took all of them out. Also noticed two vehicles moving down the road, one with RPGs sticking out the roof. I thought they were Russian but avoided them. Later I suppose they were the Resistance moving to the LUP or something. Also found the burnt out hulls of the BMPs - don't know if they have any significance. Again, it was some pretty creepy sounds and feeling as I was making my way to Pacamac. I thought it was a little anti-climatic when nothing happened though. Maybe it was because I was afraid to check out the fire - lol.  :whistle:

Made it to Pacamac. Entered the courtyard and dropped my weapons when challenged, then saved. Answered (A) the first time and watched as my body was lit up. Reloaded, answered (B). Picked my weapons back up, and headed to the LUP. At the LUP, joined up with the resistance and didn't have any problems with that one, and headed to an overwatch west of Matar...whachamacallit. Masbete. Part way there, somebody called on the radio and my guys tell me to wait for a few to catch up. The screen goes NVGs, and pans out. Then it just sits. I waited for about 7-8 minutes real time, probably longer than it took me to walk from the LUP to my current position, then gave up, and aborted. Dunno what I was waiting for/to happen, but it never left the NVG camera thing.

Outro:
Not there yet.

Pretty good mission so far. I would say the scripting and action is excellent. The long distances and walking are some detractors, but I think that it's good overall.

Tyger
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2008, 08:17:27 by Tyger »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #49 on: 31 Dec 2008, 14:51:45 »
Hi Tyger!

Thank you very much for testing the mission!

First of all, sorry for this showstopper!! I thought that it would be eliminated once for all but sadly I see that I will have to overwork it once again... :confused: Dammit...
I will do this asap and report here with an update. Sorry again!
I really hope that you are willing to try it out again. I really need to have it tested some more times because it is very complex (or is it just my noobish scripting skill that is confusing?...  ;) ).

Anyway... Thanks again!

By the way, if you could let me know how the Russians managed to get that ZSU up on top of that mountain, I would really like to know
Hehe, these Shilkas are the newest Russian technology! They even can fly for 20 seconds!!! ;)

I will add one more save possibility after the "crown"-cutscene. Thanks for the idea!

...way to Pacamac. I thought it was a little anti-climatic when nothing happened though.
Damn, another thing that didn't work... I put a Russian sniper on a hill, when you have passed the little bay with the Russian smugglers... But he didn't shoot at you, did he? :( Hm, I still need to shape this up a little bit.

See you, Tyger!

Edit: @ all who helped me already by testing the mission: I will add a version of the mission that begins in the middle of it - at Pacamac. So if you would kindly test it again (which is very important for me because you already know the mission a bit and can give me precise information), if you want you can play from Pacamac onwards and save the long journey from the north to Pacamac.
I will update the first post when I have prepared the thing.

Thanks to all who help(ed) me! I wish you all a happy new year!
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 15:04:56 by Undeceived »

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #50 on: 31 Dec 2008, 16:52:02 »
Not a problem! I've been looking for a good SP mission to play that doesn't require QG and this fits the bill nicely. :)

I put a Russian sniper on a hill, when you have passed the little bay with the Russian smugglers
Negative, he did not fire. Which side was he on? The right or left side of the road as you enter Pacamac? I might go back and see if I can find him.

Looking forward to the next installment!

"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #51 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:19:22 »
This lazy bastard is on the left side of the road...
When you are moving on it passing the little bay with the russians and go up the hill (right after the bay), he should begin shooting at you right after you are totally exposed. He's on a hill some 200 meters away at aprox. 11 o'clock next to some rocks and under some trees.

I didn't want him to kill the player with the first shot, so I lowered his skill until some seconds pass, then I put it up again. But I don't know why he's not shooting now... :(

Looking forward to the next installment!
Thx, Tyger!
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2009, 20:22:05 by Undeceived »

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #52 on: 03 Jan 2009, 01:15:38 »
Alright take two :)

ArmA v1.15 Beta, with Durgs Vegetation Fix

Intro:
Same as before.

Briefing:
Good briefing with plenty of detail. Not much I could find wrong, didn't check spelling as I assume it was already checked quite a bit.

Selected the M24 with 5 mags, and 6 mags for MP5.

Mission:
First, I suggest that you add a health check for that med kit. I accidentally used it on the beach when I was trying to switch to my secondary weapon, and wasted it.

Nothing more to add from above until after the OBJ was eliminated.

This time, trying to get off the crown and back to my exfil point was much harder. There was a squad(+) in the valley and the crew of that BRDM ATGM were effing snipers. I suggest you tweak their skill a little, as I was getting sniped from over a kilometer away, through fog. I couldn't even see them with my M24, but I sure did see their tracers. I moved across the valley and shot the sniper on the top of the hill. I swapped out my M24 which was empty for the SVD and then picked off another ten or fifteen OPFOR from my perch. Then, I climbed in the BRDM which had been abandoned, drove it to the top of the hill, and took out the T72 and BMP that were driving around to the NW. Then, I hightailed it to Pacamac from Fuchsbau's FRAGO. I really though this part was fun, but at times quite frustrating due to the skill of the enemy.

Nothing much happened from this point up until I reached the Russian smugglers. I easily killed them, and ran up that hill waiting for the sniper. Again, he did not fire. I found him, and fired at him probably seven or eight times, but he did not return fire. So I took him out.

At the approach to Pacamac, Fuchsbau suddenly radios for me to climb a hill and survey the town. You might want to Luchs radio in something like, "Fuchsbau, I'm approaching Pacamac." Otherwise it seems like something out of a Sci-fi movie where they just "know" where you are :P

A quick grammar thing, when talking to the resistance leader, he says "Near Hunapu, some of us inflammed a fire" --> Should be "Near Hunapu, some of us lit a fire".

I met up with the resistance, and we moved down the valley. This time, the cut scene worked, and I talked with the kid. Then the other guy moved up and we had some sort of argument about weather or not he was in the resistance convoy? Could you explain, I think I missed part of it...

I eliminated Mataredo quickly, and hid all of the bodies, then moved to the forest and met up with Falke. We moved in on the camp, and this part drove me nuts. It took me a solid four hours to beat just this part because the Black-Venom kept shooting me through the trees and such. My tactic that beat it was to move SW of the OBJ, position Falke with the MP5 where he could watch the front and right. The resistance fighters were above Falke to cover him. I held the left flank and front with my SVD. I engaged the four Black-Venom near the jeep and tents, then told everyone to fire at will. Falke took out most of the Black-Venom who tried to approach from the right, and the few that went left I was able to take out with my SVD.

Then I moved in on the camp and clear the last Black-Venom hiding near an ammo box. This is where i stopped. 

Outro:
Not there yet.

Again, the scripting is good, but this time around, the difficulty was much harder. I think last try I got lucky. I don't want to suggest that you tweak skill levels too much, because I don't think I am very good, but I do think that when vehicle crew snipe you with an AKS74U, their skill is a little too high  :P

Other than that, it's been fun! I think that the Black-Venom camp is good because you can't just brute force the camp, you have to use tactics.  :good:

Keep up the good work, and maybe find some way to check on the cut scene near Mataredo, in order to ensure it works every time.

Tyger

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #53 on: 03 Jan 2009, 02:21:50 »
Haha :D
Thank you very very much for you time, Tyger!! I really don't think that I would have spent around five hours to test a mission, so... Thank you !

Hm, I don't know why the skill of the AI is so high, the only unit I've set higher was Black Venom, the others mostly are skilled normally.
Could it be that this has something to do with you ArmA difficulty settings?
I never experienced such situations (in other missions too) that the AI sniped me with an AK from 1km through the fog. Don't know... :dunno:

Thanks for the grammar thing!
And... about the sniper that joins the team and argues with the player: When Fuchsbau tells you (by Sci-Fictionally knowing your position ;) ) to take a look over Pacamac, there (if all works right) comes a white car that passes through the village in which the sniper sits. This is what Luchs tells him, that he saw him sitting in there.

I'm really sorry for you that it took you so long to take the spetznaz camp. I hope that you're going to continue the mission sometime. But maybe you really take a look over the difficulty settings of ArmA (I don't know, maybe it helps) because there is still a little trouble to come... :)
Thanks again.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #54 on: 03 Jan 2009, 02:29:26 »
Hahahah, yeah the trouble to come has me stuck. I don't know, maybe it's the 1.15 beta that's screwing with it. Or you might be a better player than I am :D I'm not very good.

I'll keep playing. That armor ambush has me in a bind though. I managed to damage the convoy three out of eleven times, but I keep engaging some SF units to my rear who wipe me out quite neatly. I'll give it a shot later after I take a break though. :)

[EDIT]
Alright, to continue from above.... this time with ArmA v1.14 and Durgs Vegetation Fix

Overview: As above

Intro: As above

Briefing: As above

Mission:
... cont...

The enemy was a little more forgiving with v1.14, so it must have been some update or setting in v1.15 that made it much harder.

I tried the ambush several times with Falke setting his charges and running, but as soon as he would run more than apx. 20 meters from the charges, he would detonate them. So I ended up making him drop them, and then running down and setting the charges myself. I then had my squad run to the mountain Punto Precito while I blew the charges on the convoy. Then, I caught up with them. As we moved up to the mountain, an Mi17 dumped an airborne squad right over us. We cleaned them up quickly, and moved over the mountain toward Hunapu. I dropped off the resistance fighters at the house, who did climb into the truck. Then, we moved to Hunapu, and I called in the slick. We ran the LZ, and I was told to board the chopper.

Outro:
I'll consider your closing scenes an outro, even though they technically weren't after the AAR.
The closing scenes were very cool with some good camera scripting. Good job there!

I finished the mission with a score of 32560, and it was fun, albeit hard at times! I really liked it! Good job! I would give it a 7 or 8, with emphasis on the quality cameras and scripting. It was quite an enjoyable mission.

Tyger
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2009, 05:06:16 by Tyger »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #55 on: 03 Jan 2009, 13:14:36 »
Wonderful test, Tyger! This really was "time-eating" for you, I know! So really thanks, mate!!!

Can I still ask you some little questions? :)

Can you name some more (two or three) things that you didn't like so much? I want to know these things to make the mission as good as possible...
I suppose, the (boring) long way to Pacamac is one of such things, do you remember others?

I'm really happy that the drop of the paratroopers at the end of the mission did work!! Was there anything suspicious there, in terms of mission or scripting bugs?

Again, thank you for your help!

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jan 2009, 18:02:42 »
Well, the biggest issue was the difficulty, which between v1.15 and v1.14 was different. I think that the two times I played it in v1.14 were fun, mostly because the difficulty was easier. I'm going to go back and play the Black-Venom camp in v1.14 to test this theory.

This really was "time-eating" for you, I know! So really thanks, mate!!!
Not a problem! All in all, even though it seemed like I was agravated, it was a good mission. I was mostly aggravated at myself for saving at all the wrong times, my lack of skill, and Falke, who is an effing idiot sometimes :D. So don't take all the above wrong - its a good mission!

2-3 Things Didn't Like So Much:
- The long hump over the mountain to Hunapu. The trip to Pacamac was okay because of the cars, Russian smugglers, and the sniper. The biggest problem is that my character can't jog up and down slopes, so it takes forever. Second time I played, I stole that BRDM and drove it over the mountain - wasn't so bad then! (Although, I did end up flipping the darned thing trying to drive it up the hill next to Hunapu... :()
- The convoy. It seemed like at this point you were trying to add in more action, but it doesn't quite fit with the storyline. It is a good challenge though, mostly made harder by my inability to rearm properly before we attempted the ambush. So basically the only problem with it is that it doesn't flow with the storyline.
- After we make it over the mountain after the convoy ambush, the mission kind of winds down too fast. There's no more action, just a walk to the chopper exfil. Maybe when we reach Hunapu, have a UAZ drop off some soldiers or something. Just a little action to fill the void.

Paras:
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the paras mission- or scripting-wise, but every time that it happened, part of the paras either dropped directly on top of us or right in front of us. Other than that, it was good. Oh, and one time, they deployed way too low, killing probably three of them outright. But it was probably a fluke in the AI, so don't worry about it.

Another thought, while we're fleeing the convoy, the illum that you have floating around sets a tone of almost fear and a sense of urgency. You seemed to make it clear that we were being hunted, coupled with that slick flying around - wow, it was tense. Excellent job!

[EDIT]
Yeah, the Black-Venom camp isn't as bad on v1.14. :)

And one more thought: the dynamic weather is awesome! It was quite interesting at times because the fog was so thick and the rain so hard, I had no idea how I was going to see any lurking patrols!
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2009, 19:14:20 by Tyger »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #57 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:37:44 »
Thanks for your replies, mate!

And it's good to read about things that are not so good!
I think that I can do something with all of them...

Especially the convoy... I think you are right!
What do you think about the idea of implementing this objective as an alternative task (considering that it's not fitting in the story anyway)?
Beside some other side objectives like the young brother of the leader of the resistance in Pacamac.
And I'm also making another side objective to make the long way to Pacamac a little more "spirited".
Or other alternative tasks... Does someone have other ideas?

The mission would then look a little bit like...
"A main story line with the target person and then the massacre at Mataredo, investigation, elimination of Black-Venom and evacuation - along with (hopefully) a lot of optional objectives."

What do you (and others) think about this? 'Cause I'm still unsure about taking the convoy-objective out of "duty" and putting it as "optional"...

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: 07 Jan 2009, 10:58:58 »
How about making the convoy objective relevant to the mission, but not obligatory? I.e., you're told there's a convoy coming in: their orders are to clean up Mataredo (?) entirely, removing all evidence of the slaughter. If they're allowed to do this, the world will never know! However, if you do destroy the convoy, there will be time enough for you to redirect a satellite or whatever to get proof, thus putting the Russians in the public eye.

Alternatively, the convoy could be reinforcing some local garrison who has orders to hunt and kill the rebels - if you don't want to take it out, the surviving rebels in your group will leave the group and head northwards anyway (probably getting killed) - and in the end you'll get an outro/something that tells you that the rebels were all wiped out shortly after your left.

That kind of thing, y'know? Not obligatory, but optional - as your conscience tells you. :)

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #59 on: 07 Jan 2009, 14:20:38 »
These are great ideas, Wolfrug!
Yes, I think that the relevance to the story is important in this case because the objective is pretty large and triggers a lot of additional actiona and length...
Thanks for the inspiration!

Damn, I need to finish this mission... ArmA II is coming! :D Still some work to do.