Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how can i stop IA from going prone every time an aircraft passes  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Michael

• Members
  • www.zonekiller.ath.cx
    • ZoneKillers
how can i stop IA from going prone
every time an aircraft is in the area??

is there a way to get the AI to ignore air threats and not go prone ???

Offline Manzilla

• Members
I may be mistaken about this but I believe you are in the wrong forum area. If you post these questions in the General or Advanced areas you may get an answer much faster then here. I wish I could provide some assistance with your matters but it's way beyond my knowledge.

Here's the "General" forum: 

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?board=80.0

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
You tried setunitpos "up"?

Also, try setting the captive state of the plane to true. You can always set it back when you want it to get fired upon.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
If you post these questions in the General or Advanced areas you may get an answer much faster then here.
Whilst not understanding the first advice since this is the general board ??? the second advice is wrong; this is not even remotely close to being advanced.

@Michael
If you think you posted in the wrong section you do not go posting the same thread all around, you contact a moderator to move it.
Best way to do this is to use the 'report to moderator' button.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Manzilla

• Members
h-

I'm not understanding your gripe with my post. The post was opened in the Beta testing section. So I offered my suggestion. I thought it was pretty clear that I don't know the best place for it, since my knowledge of scripting is zero. Had I known my "advice" was going to be criticized I guess I should have included (beta Test Please) somewhere in my suggestion.

My only thoughts were helping him receive an answer as quick as possible, hence the "advice". I was under the impression that is the purpose of forums. My apologies for the wrong "advice".
« Last Edit: 08 May 2008, 17:56:35 by Manzilla »

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
i was looking at a post in the BIS forums about this.. the last answer was...
Code: [Select]
// put in trigger over entire battle area;
{_x setunitpos "UP"} ForEach thislist;
act: anybody
which i did..
but the bots still hit the dirt... in the limited time of scripting i have.. i have noticed, no matter how much you 'tell' the ai to do something... it usually does whatever the hell it wants...

so my question like Michael's...is there an actual way to force the ai to never go prone?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2008, 01:14:12 by loki72 »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
I'm not understanding your gripe with my post.
I had no gripe with your post.
Just with the advanced section recommendation  :D

Didn't know this was started in the beta boards though, did look for it there but didn't see any 'moved' notices..  :scratch:

Offline Michael

• Members
  • www.zonekiller.ath.cx
    • ZoneKillers
h-

I'm not understanding your gripe with my post. The post was opened in the Beta testing section. So I offered my suggestion. I thought it was pretty clear that I don't know the best place for it, since my knowledge of scripting is zero. Had I known my "advice" was going to be criticized I guess I should have included (beta Test Please) somewhere in my suggestion.

My only thoughts were helping him receive an answer as quick as possible, hence the "advice". I was under the impression that is the purpose of forums. My apologies for the wrong "advice".

Manzilla thankyou for your advice and which i appreciate.
Yes i to thought that these forums were to get help not to be told
without advice that your wrong.

Again thankyou and your advice may help solve my problem

i was looking at a post in the BIS forums about this.. the last answer was...
// put in trigger over entire battle area;
{_x setunitpos "UP"} ForEach thislist;

which i did..
but the bots still hit the dirt... in the limited time of scripting i have.. i have noticed, no matter how much you 'tell' the ai to do something... it usually does whatever the hell it wants...

so my question like Michael's...is there an actual way to force the ai to never go prone?

There must be a trick to it somewhere
As soon as you put a enemy plane in the area the AI stop go prone wont follow their scripts even if you tell them to get up they get strait down again
it does not seem to make any difference with what combat mode or behaviour mode the AI are set at nor does it make any difference if you set allowFleeing 0

The answer to this would be realy handy to anyone making missions with AI and Air so lets hope we find a solution

Michael

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
One thing: are you using any mods? There are plenty of AI mods out there that are invasive, i.e., they force behaviour on the AI such as hitting the dirt or stop following waypoints. Included in this list are mods such as Group Link II, ECS, SLX and XAM. So be sure you're not playing with one of those if you want to seriously modify AI behaviour - and also remember people playing with said mods are likely to experience something quite different ANYWAY.

Which leads me to my second point: why is it so important for you that the AI doesn't hit the dirt when an aircraft approaches? I'm almost positive they don't do that with the vanilla AI when it comes to airplanes at least, I might be wrong though. And in anywhichcase: I was trained to duck and cover whenever a hostile flier went overhead, so why not let the AI do it too? It's plain common sense.

If there is however one particular plane in your mission that you don't want your AI to react to (maybe it's there for ambience etc), simply make that plane setcaptive TRUE (look up the setcaptive command in the COMREF) and they will happily ignore it. There are alternatives to this, but that's the easiest way.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
i hope i'm allowed to come in on this, as the second question was at michael..

but as per my interest and the first part of you question... i thought the same and took the 8 gigs of mods out...
and now only have the queens gambit, editor update, six_editor update, and the extended event handlers.
however with michaels question relates directly to my thread about the continuous ai spawns. i realize that in the 'real' world anyone would duck with an enemy jet comes overhead... however.. in the mission hatfield vs. mcCoys.. i'm not looking for the highest i.q. for the family members.. know what i mean? :D

is it possible to override the core behavioral patterns of the game?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2008, 01:57:25 by loki72 »

Offline Michael

• Members
  • www.zonekiller.ath.cx
    • ZoneKillers
No addons  No Mods Just plain Arma

i have a mission that you are air support for AI ground troops
with dogfighting ect but the AI must finish there ground mission and as soon as a enemy plane shows up
they stop, flutter around and wont proceed onwards .

i dont have the option to set anything captive ect  as the mission requiers the planes to be hostal

simply i just want the AI to goto there waypoint reguardless of weather any enemy planes are in the area..

i dont mind if the do it slower but just not stop till all planes are out of the area...

« Last Edit: 09 May 2008, 02:15:35 by Michael »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
Yes i to thought that these forums were to get help not to be told without advice that your wrong.
???
I said that the a d v i c e   was wrong, I didn't accuse any person being wrong..

And I'm a moderator, so if I see something that in my opinnion requires moderating I do that, or are you saying that there could not be any moderating done unless some answer to the original question was given?

And I'm sorry that this thread is now drawn into this complete off-topic crap, I would be more than happy to continue this via PMs if you feel this is worth continuing.
I don't think it is myself..

EDIT:
As for the original question, have you tried using that suggested unitPos "UP" in a looping script?
It might work..  :scratch:

Put in any unit's init field (just one per group though):
this exec "script.sqs"
script.sqs
#for
{_x setUnitPos "UP"} forEach (units group _this);
~1
? (count ({alive _x} forEach (units group _this))) > 0: goto "for"

That live check thing probably doesn't work, but something in that effect :dunno:
« Last Edit: 09 May 2008, 03:26:14 by h- »

Offline Barbolani

• Members
Hi,

Maybe you must guve more info.

Im guessing youve got:

- Player in a plane
- Enemy AI in a plane / chopper any air unit
- Friendly AI on the ground

If you setcaptive the enemy AI plane, it will attack you or the ground troops anyway, and youll be able to attack him as player (the AI friendlies wont do).

If you want the ground troops to attack the enemy plane, needing them to be stand up and ignoring the enemy plane has no sense...

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
There is probably no way to keep AI from going prone without disableAI.  You can not over-ride this combat behaviour with setPos.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2008, 16:32:55 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
i've been working with this.. with the hillbilly mission.

in one of the scripts i'm working on.. since when the ai has a gun it responds to gunfire even when put:
This setCaptive TRUE; This Setbehaviour "CARELESS"; this disableAI "Move"; this disableAI "Target"
with this

code snippet:

#Move

_mccoy setUnitPos "UP"
? _mccoy distance _target <= 1 : goto "attack"
? _mccoy distance _target > 1 && _mccoy distance _target <= 5 : goto "engage"
? _mccoy distance _target > 5 : _mccoy doMove getPos _target

~1
_mccoy setunitpos "UP"
~1
_mccoy setunitpos "UP"
~1
_mccoy setunitpos "UP"
~1
_mccoy setunitpos "UP"
~1
_mccoy setunitpos "UP"
Goto "Main"

they only hit the deck for a sec and then get up... i know its sloppy.. but it seems to be the only way i can see... so far to override the games core behavior model.

Offline Michael

• Members
  • www.zonekiller.ath.cx
    • ZoneKillers
there does not seem to be a way to override combat mode except to go up to stealth mode
i did however have some success by changing the setCombatMode to green whenever they
went to combat mode and they still moved forward better than they did without this script.
it also shows what modes the AI are in.

in the init field of the AI leader put

[this] execVM "courage.sqf"

Put this in a script called courage.sqf in the mission folder

_leader = _this select 0;

_grp = group _leader;

_l = 0;

while {(count units _grp > 0)} do
{

_b = behaviour leader _grp;
_c = combatMode _grp;
_num = count units _grp;

if (behaviour leader _grp == "AWARE") then {_grp setCombatMode "YELLOW"; _l = 0};

hint format["Behaviour Mode : %1  \nCombat Mode : %2 \nLoops : %3 \nTroops : %4",_b , _c , _l , _num];

waituntil {!(behaviour leader _grp == "AWARE")};

if (behaviour leader _grp == "COMBAT") then {_grp setCombatMode "GREEN"};
sleep .5;
_l = _l + 1;
_grp setBehaviour "AWARE"; _b = behaviour leader _grp; _c = combatMode _grp; hint format["Behaviour Mode : %1  \nCombat Mode : %2 \nLoops : %3 \nTroops : %4",_b , _c , _l , _num];
sleep .5;
};

it helps a little i think.

Offline Knight Trane

• Members
Would something like this work to keep AI Civies from running from WP to WP.  I only want them to run when theres something to run from.   i.e. Troops! or exploded ordnance.

Offline Michael

• Members
  • www.zonekiller.ath.cx
    • ZoneKillers
Yes you will be able to give the civs an order on the change of mode they are in

waituntil {!(behaviour leader _grp == "AWARE")};

_grp domove _pos;

Offline Knight Trane

• Members
Thanx, will try when I get a chance.

Offline D007

• Members
ALso you could follow this method at the following link.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableAI. gl