Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review completed)[SP/AD] Fly Like An Eagle  (Read 24213 times)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] Fly Like An Eagle
« Reply #60 on: 27 Feb 2009, 16:29:24 »
Version 1.5 is finally here:
Link can be found in the First post.

Change Log:
- More typos fixed
- One possible enemy presence in forest meeting removed
- Radio visible on map after load game
- Changes in SF diversion
- Evac chopper should survive better
- SF moves faster to Eponia from diversion hill
- Error between RTEditor and UPS fixed 
- Some other fixes

Be free to beta test. POW camp should be little easier now but still challenging.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 21:43:54 by savedbygrace »

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] Fly Like An Eagle(Updated..Please Test)
« Reply #61 on: 01 Mar 2009, 23:28:46 »
Hi SaOk!

Here's my opinion on your mission:

Overview

A decent pic, and the text is almost a poem.  :)

Intro

The intro is very impressive. I liked the scenes of utter devastation and the crystal clear voices with that American accent.

Briefing

The briefing is top notch too. It accompanies several sub-sections, good photos and all the background information one could ask for. Excellent job.

Mission

I was already aware that this mission sets a high standard, judging from the briefing and intro. But the mission almost blew me away, with volumes of radio chatter that accompanied the whole flying part. It was great to fly to the frontline, evacuate the wounded, insert the spec ops and feeling like a real pilot while doing it.

From my last try, I knew that the mission would be more challenging after the crash. Like last time, I moved up into the woods, found a camp and then the story went on with a radio conversation that felt very realistic and that chat with the spec ops that introduced me to my "easy" part of the mission at hand.

The POW camp was hard, but I could beat it. A close shave anyway because of a misplaced savegame. After I managed to free the POWs, kill a BMP afterwards and make my way to the abandoned camp, I ran across a troop emplacement just a few hundred meters east of the POW camp.

The enemy had lots of cover and concealment, and the bushes there hindered my movement. At this site I lost all my newly gained squad, and due to a misplaced savegame, I had to quit.
Up to this moment the mission lasted more than 2 hours for me.

Conclusion

A labour of love and it shows. This mission is great, but also very long and almost too challenging for me. If it would be part of a campaign, I would suggest to split it into 2 missions: The flying and the grunt part.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 Mar 2009, 11:10:58 »
Thank you for testing this mission. I agree that savedbygrace have made an excelent job with all the story, dialog, briefing, overview, intro, outro, voices and other cutscenes. :D

After the abandoned camp there is only little resistance to clear in Eponia before remaining SF squad should come to help you to defent the town against massive enemy assault. Then you only need to destroy two shilkas from good distance and the rest is easy. I have competed the misson less than 2 hours. But I agree that its quite long. :)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #63 on: 13 Mar 2009, 16:45:11 »
This mission would still need more testing. There is a lot scripts at end of the mission which could still behave strange sometimes. I havent found bugs myself, but there is always some when someone else is testing.

There will be a new version in future:
-new objectives will be displayed as hints
-there will be satchel storage in Eponia
-"forest meeting"-cutscene will be upgraded
-SF part in Eponia needs more work
-the first failed evac event will be better
-final evac needs to be more reliable

I could add other things/features too if someone have some ideas (even big ones).
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 17:38:38 by SaOk »

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
« Reply #64 on: 13 Mar 2009, 18:53:59 »
I didn't see any errors while playing. But I didn't see any SF in Eponia either because they all died from "making noise".

This is one of the most professional missions I've played so far. The only thing I didn't like was the end. I expected something cold-blooded like "Remember: All heroes die!"  :cool2:
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #65 on: 14 Mar 2009, 04:03:01 »
Did you not see the Outro then?

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #66 on: 16 Mar 2009, 12:28:24 »
You could hold testing for a while. There will be massive changes for next version.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #67 on: 14 Apr 2009, 21:25:31 »
New version 1.6 is here and ready for more testing. There is massive changes so its likely that there is some new fancy bugs to report. ;)

Changle Log:
v1.6:
-Rewritten objectives, dialog
-Remade forest cutscene
-Remade much more complex SF behaviour (Player isnt playing the key role anymore)
-Dynamic reinforcements for SF
-Over 200 new voice files (for cutscene, sidechats and dynamic random voices during mission/close combat)
-Difficulty Selection (affects to available weapons in SF ammobox, enemy manpower and flying part)
-Dynamic Markers for SF
-Objective hints
-Appendid outro
-Many other bug fixes, tweaks

Download link is at first post
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 21:35:45 by SaOk »

Re: [SP] Fly Like An Eagle(Updated to version 1.6..Please Test)
« Reply #68 on: 16 Apr 2009, 00:43:51 »
i downloaded the new version and everything is goin good untill i reach the forest cutscene when i find the radio 9 times outa 10 as the cutscene begins my guy dies for no reason at all he just starts taking hits and then hits the ground and i have to start all over its really frustrating.
Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #69 on: 16 Apr 2009, 01:21:52 »
As I said in armaholic commments - I will start searching the reason what is causing that. I havent encountered that yet myself but it happened once to savedbygrace. We thought then that it had something to too with testing tool which savedbygrace was using. Its confusing that it happened in cutscene where player is captive. But it seems that there is something randomly wrong. Thanks for reporting this bug.

« Reply #70 on: 16 Apr 2009, 01:36:49 »
So far thats the only major bug ive found everything else seems to work fine just that one thing happening 9 times outa 10 is whats driving me insane i tried to find what might be causing it but i had no luck.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 Apr 2009, 15:20:21 »
I removed some objects from the tent floor which were really close to the player. Hopefully that was causing the random death.

The download link for version 1.61 can be founded in the first post. I removed the old file from the server:
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2009, 05:04:15 by savedbygrace »

« Reply #72 on: 18 Apr 2009, 06:07:42 »
Those objects that was in tent was the problem now ive been able to get through that cutscene. Great mission i love all the new voices.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP/AD] Fly Like An Eagle(Updated to version 1.6..Please Test)
« Reply #73 on: 23 Apr 2009, 17:47:13 »
I updated mission to version 1.65 which is hopefully the final version. Mission would need now more testing and if all looks/works good then it could be ready even for reviewing. SF groups work best in "normal" difficulty. In "hard" and "very hard" they die much more easily and mission could be slow if player isnt aggressive. I still think that mission is most fun on "very hard". Difficulty level only affects to enemy manpower, available weapons in SF ammobox and flying part (player is captive when closing to Mercalillo on "normal") so there shouldnt be any separate bugs for different difficulty levels. "Very Hard" uses all of the spanwing scripts and at least i havent got any errors yet.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
played in Hard

The intro is absolutely superb.

The radio cut scene at the abandoned base is a hell of a lot better, and I thought it was good the first time. Good work!
The ammo crate right outside the tent is better to, less confusing.

I saved at the enemy camp so I can replay a few times from there.
The map is nicely set up at this point and the objective should be nice and clear to anyone playing.
Heading to the pow's I am thinking what a wonderful game and I haven't even fire one round yet.
I heal with a medic by pressing 5,4. got ko'd at the gates 1st time.
Nice voiceovers set the mood!
After dieing a few times I can see the randomness.
Getting inside the camp was like hell!

Felt like an honor working with the SF's and they leave me some kills too. Must be in the scripting.
Object placement and sound effects really ad to the impact of realism in the mission.
Evac went down in a ball of fire. Preparing for assault. I didn't really get the tractor bit. But I am sticking by the SF troops with my two (still alive gunners).

Saved game here without an AT weapon to help with shikias. Might have to restart and play from last auto load for fun.
Sorry have more later for ya!
Cheers schuler
Semper Fi