Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Eastern Front WWII mission idea/question for the forum  (Read 6573 times)

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Eastern Front WWII mission idea/question for the forum
« Reply #15 on: 09 Feb 2008, 20:03:04 »
Hi Lee!

Just tested your mission, but did not complete it. Some points....

I like the extensive Briefing and the three phaselines you provided, as well as the mortar support. The feeling of the mission itself was much different than my expectations. The defense line B (which I selected) was quite bare, just 2 AT guns, no fortifications and the bright orange Urals did not help immersion. Could you use the military green ones?
Soviet infantry did not come in waves, but only small groups which much lull of activity in between. No offence meant, but to me it felt more like battling some bands of insurgents and not the mighty Red Army. Somehow I miss the MG42s that were so importand to the Germans.

The reason for me not able to complete the mission was that I reached critical losses rather fast (at 32-35 % levels), with little cover (just the trucks) available, and not enough tools to cause the horrendous losses the Red Army suffered in WWII.

Enough of words, I illustrate what I expected with a little "editor-thrown-together" thing.

But great to see that you kept the motivaton for completing this mission!

Offline Denz

« Reply #16 on: 09 Feb 2008, 20:40:47 »
Great, one niggle though you didn't include a link to just the mission. I can't be bothered to download a package for addons I already have.
 I did find it on filefront - I take it it's the same version.
edit:
link removed
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2008, 22:23:51 by Denz »
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
  • John 21:25
« Reply #17 on: 09 Feb 2008, 22:00:28 »
hey Mathias,

Thanks for testing it out.  Its definitely in a "feedback" stage so thank you, glad to get a first WWII mission out there and the ball rolling on this historical era for ArmA.

-I wasn't sure how hard to make it (you can never tell as the designer because you "know" where the bad guys are.  So i can make it much harder with more waves of russians.  The MG42's are in your unit, there are a few.

-I wasn't sure what truck to use, but i will take your advice and change that. 

-I was not sure how much defenses to have at each line, i will add more and add more Russians. Part of the reason for not too many objects is i am waiting on the tanks.  Originally i wanted to have the player as a panzer tank commander in a tank battle in the rolling hills area. 

Did you use the Stukas, or have the Fuhrer intervene or the SS troops etc?  Those are some random events.  Check out init.sqs.    Any other ideas for things you would like to see Mathias?

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2008, 22:33:47 by LeeHunt »

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2008, 17:51:11 »
Hi Lee!

I must admit that I just tried the mission a bit, so no I encountered no random events (hit the critical losses even on the first defence line), maybe it would be better to raise the critical losses mark up to 50%.

Just a random thought: A mission on North Sahrani in winter conditions could realistically do without tanks due to hilly terrain. Maybe pitting some Gebirgsjäger in the Caucasus or Austria/Bavaria against the Russians? Not that your mission is not good and worth further development, just had this quick idea for another WWII mission....

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:00:11 »
Hey Mathias,

Thanks, i do like the idea of using North Sahrani.  I really just want to get this mission format out there- i wanted to make something decently fun and playable and then get feedback, so don't worry about criticizing.  I can't make better stuff without the feedback  :yes:

-Did the critical losses stop the mission or did you get killed?  DId you manage to retreat off map? 

When my PC comes back i'll be able to juice up this mission with more Russians etc and play around with a winter forest one on North Sahrani. 

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:46:19 »
Well, the critical losses worked both ways, most of the time stopping the mission.

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2008, 18:05:58 »
ok Mathias- you've just woken me up to another point-- i have it set so that when you are killed the same screen runs as when you retreat off map. So when the mission "stopped" you'd almost certainly been killed and the camera cut straight to the results summary.  more to fix :)

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2008, 21:57:55 »
This topic has at least three post with different addons listed, if would be good if it is stated clear that all the addons listed in the very first post are the very and only ones needed to test anything.

Offline LeeHunt

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2008, 22:33:58 »
right i just fixed it.

When i get my "damaged" PC back from Alienware i'll be able to update the scenarios etc
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2008, 17:11:08 by LeeHunt »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2008, 17:07:24 »
This looks appealing. I'm a war Buff as well and this endeavor has potential of spawning many fans. The Eastern front was a war which was decided by weather and timing and could perhaps be the deciding factor in many missions. Logistics were essential to german warfare across such widespread territory of unknown terrain. I could see frostbite scripts which effect the aim and health of even the elite soldiers if they are not taken care of properly. I see the destruction of supply chains being the focus over complete elimination. The aerial bombing of ships of russian reinforcements affecting the outcome as well. Great cities of rubble being the center of urban bloodshed and perhaps a drawn out battle between two elite snipers as they struggle to hunt each other down. Cold scripts which effect the armor and introduce functioning percentages for all metallic equipment. Ration kits in addition to first aid kits to prevent starvation. Perhaps an additional command added to all squad leaders via radio that he must remember to tap off periodically to keep the moral of his men high and thus their performance. Too bad their are no decent working trains for the game as that would expand the number of possibilities as well. Sad to hear the cutback of cinematics though, but I understand, is it hard to get German and Russian accented speakers?