Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [MP COOP 1-8] Lighthouse expedition  (Read 12172 times)

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
Mission name: Lighthouse Expedition

Mission type: multiplayer Coop
Players: 8
Size: 217ko
Author: FleePee
patch 1.14
Required addons: none
Language: english and French
Weapons pool in the briefing
moving respawn points as you change of objective and weapon respawn (you keep weapons and ammo after you die)

Description: You have to free 2 towns, Tiberia and Iguana, before going to the lighthouse and take control of it.
In Tiberia, there is a whole squad retained as prisoners.
Enjoy!!!

Installation: Copy the file " Lighthouse_Expedition_V3.Sara.pbo" into the "ArmA\MPmissions" folder.

scripts:   
- minefield by kronzky
- hostages by Nataniel (edited)
- Weapons Respawn Script v1.04 by toadlife revised by norrin
- dismount by sharkattack
- initFlags by Spooner

Special thanks to Mandoble and Spooner  for their scripting helps, to Cheetah and Hoz for their beta tests of the mission!

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2008, 15:42:03 by Cheetah »

Offline Denz

Re: Lighthouse expedition review please
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2008, 06:17:54 »
 :welcome: fleepee,
Always nice to have fresh missions coming in  :yes:
I moved this here as it's more appropriate for each mission to have it's own seperate topic.

Now, do you want this to be beta tested first by our diligent members and staff first?
We do this to ensure the mission is as good as it can be and that any bugs are ironed out before we review it.
After all, we all want quality missions to play ;)
Or do you want to just go straight for the review?

Also, could you modify your post to include some details about the mission please (like in the readme).
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [COOP 1-12] Lighthouse expedition review please
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2008, 19:26:09 »
If this mission is to be reviewed, it has to be available in English.

Also, I recommend that you add more information.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
Re: [COOP 1-12] Lighthouse expedition
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2008, 15:11:58 »
here is the english version and two screenshots of the mission...
I've tested it, it seems to be ok...
Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2008, 20:12:45 by fleepee »

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:50:34 »
What's this mission about? I'm not sure whether to try or not. Please add a description and other info for us.

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2008, 17:59:37 »
What Manzilla says, good to see this one in English by the way :).
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [MP COOP 1-8] Lighthouse expedition
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2008, 06:35:00 »
Installation: Copy the file " lighthouse Expedition.Sara.pbo" into the "ArmA\MPmissions" folder.

Actually your mission file name contains %20 for spaces.  To fix simply rename the mission folder and remove the spaces. I think the _ (underscore) is a safe replacement.

Regarding the mission being English, the title displays and I think one hint was still in french.

Intro

There is none, kinda standard for MP, even a short one would be nice. You can always add an option in the lobby to disable it.

Briefing

No picture, I would recommend adding one.

The Briefing is pretty good has enough information.
The free the prisoners objective shows up last and really its the  second objective or possibly third in the list.

Mission

As soon as the mission starts there is a hint that says All Areas Clear. Not sure what the meaning of this. :D

I actually enjoyed this mission, I played with one other person on a dedicated server no addons vanilla arma 1.14 and we finished it in about 1.5 hours. I like the progressive respawn however I think you should provide some notification that the respawn point was updated. At the very least mention it in the briefing. In fact there is no mention of the type of respawn (ie group, or location) I wish I had disabled the AI in the lobby.

The first part of the mission was kind of slow, although we were taking our time not knowing there was respawn available. The machine gun nests were really effective in killing off my other team mates.

We reached the base where the prisoners were standing, I freed all the prisoners but then nothing happened, they didn't move at all, then I got shot, and had to work my way back in there, once we killed all the units around the base, the prisoners then moved on to the chopper and the objective was successful.

It took some time for us to advance in the next couple parts of the mission, nice job on the men in the tops of the buildings, they were very effective.  The BMP for the most part was stuck between 2 buildings and was an easy target.

The last part of the mission, the part where you need to cross the bridge to get to the light house for the most part was a turkey shoot. Hardly any opposition and the east tried to cross the river which is always bad news. Maybe consider one of those sand bag fortresses strategically placed along the top of the hill. after all the job here is to take the tower.

Overall a pretty good mission but I think you could appeal to alot more people if could have 3 choices in the lobby screen for different respawn options.
1 (Easy) your progressive respawn.
2 (Med) Change the respawn type to group  for a higher difficulty so that you can only respawn to the group units and when they are all dead mission over.
3 (Hard) no respawn at all (which would appeal to alot of people).

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008, 06:39:58 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2008, 09:22:38 »
 :good:
Thank you for your good feedback, and i'm glad you enjoyed the mission!!
I made some corections and changes you proposed, and will modify the zip file in the post.
But i don't know how to propose choices of respawn in the lobby and how to edit the mission in that way...
(and for my part, I think it's impossible to achieve that mission without respawn!)

I'll also try to make an intro, but I don't know how and don't want to spent much time on it... :dunno:
thanks again!!
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2008, 09:42:28 by fleepee »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [MP COOP 1-8] Lighthouse expedition - review please
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2008, 16:43:06 »
To offer choices in the MP lobby you need to add some things to the description.ext &  init.sqf or init.sqs. Its been a while and I'm kinda copying someone elses entry.

Code: [Select]
[b]description.ext[/b]
titleParam1="RespawnType";
valuesParam1[]={0,1,2};
defvalueParam1=1;
textsParam1[]={"No Respawn","Progressive Respawn","Group Respawn"};

[b]Init.sqf[/b]

if (Param1 == 0) then {respawn = 0};
if (Param1 == 1) then {respawn = 3};
if (Param1 == 2) then {respawn = 4};

This code might not work as is, its just an example of what needs to be done. Look forward to testing the updates.

Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2008, 19:45:35 »
 :clap:
Thanks for the reply and the codes!
I will try to insert them soon...

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2008, 01:45:10 »
I noticed one more minor problem and its really up to you if you want to fix it. But your missing the Header Class in the description.ext which helps identify the mission and the number of playable slots in the MP game browser. See the header class section in the biki

Ok I noticed something else. I went in the mission to check some stuff out and without killing someone or moving for that matter, I ran #missions to start another missions and 2 of the objects were checked as completed. Take control of Tibera and Free the prisoners.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2008, 02:50:54 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2008, 13:53:39 »
ok!
description.ext will be modified...

I went in the mission to check some stuff out and without killing someone or moving for that matter, I ran #missions to start another missions and 2 of the objects were checked as completed. Take control of Tibera and Free the prisoners.
I checked the mission: variables in the init field of the leader, now moved in the init.sqs file... Perhaps you didn't play with the leader...
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2008, 18:24:52 by fleepee »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
When you update the mission version consider updating the RAR file and don't change the topic to (re-modified) Only change the topic title when its ready for review please. :)

Tested the new version and it works well took us 1h 15 mins for 2 of us.

For the most part some of the comments I made about your other mission apply here like, weapons pool, respawn pt update notification, etc.

When you respawn your ammo doesn't stay so after a while you run out. This kinda sucks, maybe look at using like a respawn script.

Still some french hints and target boxes. Have you considered using stringtables?

Overall I think the mission is pretty fun for a mindless killing spree. We all like those from time to time. For me the re playability is low because once you complete the mission thats it the only way to improve is bringing your time down. Don't get me wrong I like these types of mission but only on a occasional basis.

« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2008, 05:41:28 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2008, 12:32:56 »
 :good:
Thanks again for your reply!
And sorry for my mistakes, I'm not a professionnal mission maker!  :D

When you respawn your ammo doesn't stay so after a while you run out. This kinda sucks, maybe look at using like a respawn script.Sorry about that, I copied a weapon respawn script edited with french army arms addons! :whistle:

I also tried to add the respawn type choice in the lobby, but while playing, the respawn type was every time "base", whatever the choice you made in the lobby, or the game was crashing, dure to my scripting skills!! :scratch:

Have you considered using stringtables?
I'll check it out, but you're right, I should read a little bit about stringtables (and weapons pool)!
(As I've always have made missions for personal use (and with on-line friends on OFP and arma), i made them directly in french...)
Overall I think the mission is pretty fun for a mindless killing spree."That's the way I like it!" (sing!)
It's fun with team mates!
Thanks for your testing, I'll make updates...
See you!

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 03 Sep 2008, 14:47:42 »
Check shark attacks mission it has the weapons pool in it.

And sorry for my mistakes, I'm not a professionnal mission maker!
Don't be sorry this is why you beta test at OFPEC :D   We try to encourage the best from mission makers.

I also tried to add the respawn type choice in the lobby, but while playing, the respawn type was every time "base", whatever the choice you made in the lobby, or the game was crashing, dure to my scripting skills!!
Use the editing boards for help! Thats why they are there.  :)
Xbox Rocks