Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: newbie's question - full collision detection  (Read 1943 times)

Offline tomaszpme

• Members
newbie's question - full collision detection
« on: 31 Mar 2008, 12:37:42 »
Hi all, I am quite new to Oxygen2 and I have rather dumb question.
What should I do to apply fully working collision detection to my model? I created a big box, applied geometry LOD, defined mass (1000kg) and named selection as "Component01". When I place it in Arma Editor, it shows up correctly as a big gray box, and plain collision detection works, i.e. player can't sweep through it, but hits the wall while approaching. However when I use "createvehicle" in script, Arma places the box anywhere without bothering surrounding environment, that is places it in the middle of a house for example. What should I do, in order to prevent ArmA from placing my object inside other object while using "createvehicle"? Is there anything else what I should do in Oxygen, or is it a matter of a config file? I used Brsseb's crate config as a template.

Tomasz

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
Re: newbie's question - full collision detection
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2008, 16:42:14 »
Hi Tomasz,
Not sure if this action can be avoided, if your script command or editor drop says "please place the item exactly here" thats what it will do.
I can't say I have seen any other objects in ArmA that DONT do that.
Have you seen different example that do "jump" away from other structures on the map?

BTW, in O2 you are meant to use;
>Structures>Topology>Find Components
and let O2 automaticily assign the "Component1" name and to ensure all bits in the GEO lod get given "structure".

Offline tomaszpme

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2008, 17:01:58 »
Gnat, I mean difference in behavior of "createvehicle" and "setpos" commands. "Setpos" places an object exactly at the given coordinates, while "createvehicle" tries to put vehicle in such a place that will prevent from collision.

Tomasz

PS. Thanks for the tip on component auto recognition!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 01 Apr 2008, 13:32:29 »
I tested this quickly with a "house" class object and then with a normal object ("Land_Panelak" and "RoadCone" respectively) in the editor, and indeed you are correct : a createvehicle'd object such as RoadCone or M113 will be placed outside the building if you attempt to createvehicle it inside it. However, the house-classed object was happily placed inside the other house with no problems whatsoever. I also tried with an AmmoBoxWest, which behaved like the RoadCone. My only theory is that there's some difference in the configs of your particular box - are you sure it's not inheriting anything from the House classes? :D

:dunno:

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline tomaszpme

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2008, 20:27:17 »
Wolfrug, Bingo!

The class copied from a sample config in Brsseb's tutorial inherrited from building:
(All->Static->Building->TargetTraining->TargetGrenade)
When I changed it to (All->Thing) as with RoadCone, Arma placed my lovely gray box next to map obstacles!
Thank you very much!

Tomasz