Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Weapons Configs  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Callaghan

• Members
Weapons Configs
« on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:52:22 »
Hi all,
I am trying to compile a database of all the main weapon packs including all the data that editors might need when designing missions with shops. Its also interesting to compare how various addon makers simulate the same things in different ways, and of course to work out what gun you really should be using..
Anyway I have a couple of problems that i'm sure have simple answers.
1stly, where are the configs for the new guns i.e. M16A4, I would have thought they would be in weapons3.pbo but no.
2ndly, where is all the 'core' and 'base' data held? All weapons default to this config where other data isn't specified, so I really need to find it, but don't know where...
If someone could save me the trouble and post up the bins, or even unRap them and post up the text I would be very grateful as I do not have a copy of arma to hand but am still able to work on my database. I will share it with all when it is finished.

It will include formulae that will give totally new values from current data, such as 'firepower' and 'value', for use in scripts etc.

It will cover all BIS weapons, all RH, RHS and WIP weapon packs to name but a few

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Weapons Configs
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:44:08 »
1. The M16A4, etc. are, in fact, in weapons3.pbo, but are defined within separate sub-folders, rather than in the main "weapons3.pbo:config.bin" file. e.g. "weapons3.pbo:m16a4/config.bin" or "weapons3.pbo:m107/config.bin"

2. bin.pbo and core.pbo are in the "ArmA/Dta/" folder.

(I'll send you the files if you give me your email address)
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2008, 12:46:04 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2008, 14:32:33 »
OOh, nice. If you do compile such a list, be sure to submit it to us here at OFPEC and we'll upload it for you for future reference! Good initiative!  :good:

(although it's not a general editing question no matter how you turn it - maybe better suited in the Addons Discussion forum? :))

Edit: Just went ahead and moved it. :D

Wolfrug out.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2008, 14:35:54 by Wolfrug »
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Callaghan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2008, 15:03:09 »
I will indeed submit it when its finished. Am writing it in Excel for ease of presentation. One of my clan mates will convert it to Access. I am including little extras such as hyperlinks for each item that take you to an webpage for that weapon (Wiki for most, others for more specific variants). I will be ommiting certain data that most people wont need, if there is a demand however (for e.g. sideAirFriction) I will include it in an update.

I have the weapons3.pbo with me but whichever way I unRap it I cant find these extra configs...

Also, does anyone know how to make sense of the recoil system?

BIS example
Code: [Select]
AK74Recoil[] = {0, 0, 0, 0.06, 0.01, 0.012, 0.1, 0, -0.02, 0.1, -0.01, 0.01, 0.05, 0, 0};
RH example
Code: [Select]
RH_AK47Recoil = {0, 0.010000, 0.011000, 0.017000, 0.010000, 0.011000, 0.200000, 0.005000, 0.007000, 0.300000, 0, 0};

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2008, 15:50:36 »
Once you unpack weapons3.pbo you will notice there is a config bin there, this config only has info about vehicle weapons.

There are several other folders in there and each one contains a separate config.

For example the folder called  m16a4 contains the config for that weapon.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2008, 16:02:52 »
That is exactly what I said, Planck ;P

Rather than building a separate database manually, wouldn't it make sense to write a little script (in Ruby, Python or Perl, for example) to parse any config file and generate a database (or even just a comma-separated file) from that. More effort to start with, but then you can add any new or updated config in seconds. You could also more easily create multiple outputs from the configs (html, database, csv). I did consider doing exactly this myself, but I found it easier to just unpbo and search through files when I personally needed the info. Only worthwhile if you want to generate universal reference material for everyone, as you are planning to do.
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2008, 16:18:33 »
I wouldn't have thought mission makers would need the whole guts from a config for a weapon anyway.

The Comref weapons list should to be enough for most mission makers.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Callaghan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2008, 16:44:22 »
this isn't for most mission makers.
Its for advanced mission makers and script writers, having all the data collected together like this as well as new variables for things like firepower allows for scripts to be made that work with lots of different addons.

Offline Callaghan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2008, 18:39:19 »
Ok heres the first release. This version is protected. If anyone wants to add/modify please inform me first and i'll send you an open version.
Someone here at OFPEC get hold of me via email and we can organise a proper upload.
I hope you find it useful -

http://www.filefactory.com/file/321554/

Arma Armaments Database 0.8

Applies to 1.09, will update to 1.11 next week