Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] A Touch of Frost v1.11  (Read 5287 times)

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
(Review Completed) [SP] A Touch of Frost v1.11
« on: 18 Feb 2008, 22:09:28 »
Mission Summary:
Your West platoon will raid a radar site on East-occupied Kolgujev to secure its secrets.
Insertion is by parachute, extraction by boat.
This is a NIGHT operation:
Play in Cadet mode with passive night goggles;
Work in Veteran mode with Balls, Eye, MkI.

Features:
Download one mission, get two free!
Based on a true story (though GI Joe's playing the part of Tommy Atkins again)
Pseudo-realistic briefing
Ultra-realistic weapon selection (you get what you're given)
In-mission radio dialogue
Randomised Russian reactions
Voiced intro and outro
Savegame via radio menu
Low carbon footprint (it's dark, you might need to turn your lights off!)

Addons:
ACF_ATOFaddons.pbo (included in zip)

n.b. This is a slightly-tweaked version of my first mission released on OFPEC in October 2004 and subsequently lost in the big crash. The original mission review is included in the zip.

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2010, 00:56:57 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline zwobot

• Members
Re: [SP] A Touch of Frost v1.11
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2008, 22:35:31 »
Now that's a coincidence. I was just looking through the "favorite mission topic" in BIS forum to see if I could find a link to this mission, after I read some articles on Operation Biting and the Bruneval raid on Wikipedia  :D
This is one of my favorite missions  :good:
"Executing tactics in real combat is the hardest thing one can ever do...well I've never given birth but..well whatever."

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2008, 09:57:50 »
Hey ACF,

good to see you submitting this mission, the big crash sure made a lot of missions disappear  :clap:
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2008, 14:37:54 »
Clever sense of humor, me likey likey . I remember this one, we'll have to see how she tweaks up.
P.S. Very dark, cant play this one during the day. opps my leg,,,,,, :o
 Eye of the Storm is looking pretty good too.
Semper Fi

Offline Denz

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2008, 22:45:37 »
Ok, seeing as I cannot beat Eye of the Storm - everyone dies and so the mission can't meet it's objectives. If I could only get out in front of the main body to make a difference before they all get killed.

Anyway, that's not this thread.
I remember playing this a long time ago but can't recall what is different about this tweaked version. I do play alot of missions ;)

Overview
Fine. A good picture with border and good description of what lays ahead.
I'd prefer the version number on the first page but at least it has one  :)

Intro
Oh this is a great intro, a nice mixture of story telling with a good dose of humour thrown in.
The officer falling out of the truck was hilarious - I loved the "action" music that proceeded it.
Also, the "Dirty Dozen" style objectives rhyme is worth a mention.

Briefing
Everything you could possibly need to know. Plenty of details.
No typo's, no problems.
No gear selection either :P

Mission
Just after the drop my men got snarled up in the walls of a garden and it took a while for the dumb AI to figure their way out of it.
Made my way across to the barracks and lined the hills and the fenceline with them.
There was a rogue US soldier wandering around by here.
Me and "my boys" gunned down anything living that attempted to leave the base.
After the other squads reported in that they had completed their objectives. Joined them in the run to the RV point.
Took a few stray shots from a hidden machine gunner and some enemy forces in Bruneval.
Boats came on cue. Loaded my squad into the one on the far left of the RV area.
I watched the other squads load into the other boats before loading myself.
Got a message "You survived..... did we succeed?" which gave me an uneasy feeling.
Then A black screen that says "please wait for the mission to complete", which tried my patience for a while.
When the game screen comes back into view I can hear gunfire for a few seconds and then the mission ends. Yay!!!

Kills 9. Completed in 34 mins. Score 8850 and four white ball thingys.

Outro
I have to say I'm not a fan of the outro but again, there is nothing wrong with it.

Summary
A good, well made mission that covers a considerable area of Kolgujev.
I would prefer a little more action on the route to the RV but that could just be me :D
No problems encountered although the AI snarl up at the beginning annoyed me but it didn't affect the mission at all.
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2008, 23:53:06 »
Cheers for the feedback - it's a relief to know my tinkering didn't break anything.

The changes are pretty minimal. Hawkins' original review mentioned a duplicate action - never seen in the testing - so that bit was reworked. I also picked up his comment about the briefing and made it a lot less brief. The other main change was to increase the difficulty of the of the cadet version so it was a valid mission in its own right rather than a walkthrough. There wasn't much I could do about the outro as there is no 'win' state in the conventional sense. The primary purpose of the outro was to reinforce the briefing but there was an element of laziness in reusing the intro sounds...

The "please wait for the mission to complete" screen masks the completion of the mission under acctime which sometimes seems to take forever. I couldn't think of any way round this because the mission is scored on the platoon's performance, not just the player or his section, so it has to finish. Difficulty is dynamically managed so that AI groups stand a decent chance of doing their bit as long as the player does his. My take on reality is that you can do whatever you want, but if you don't do what you're supposed to then there are likely to be 'real' consequences.

Anyway, Bravo's the easy job - how did it go with Alpha and Charlie?

Offline limmy3

• Members
  • OFP crazy!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2008, 07:17:36 »
This mission was played in GRAA mod 3.0

Overview
This is a good overview with a short description.
The version number could have been on the first page.

Intro
Nice and entertaining.

Briefing
Very detailed and classified.
The map structured very fine with lots of details.
The RV symbol could have been placed nearer to the beach with an arrow for the approaching boats directions.

No gear selection either :P
Sorry you're mistaken there is a gear selection although it's not very detailed.
I missed Hand Grenades and Grenades for the M203 when it is offered.

Mission
I played it meanwhile in all sections.
The darkness made it sometimes very difficult to see the combatants and I've been shot death several times.
The time table made it not easy to find a good position in the needed time and to study the terrain to make a good assault.

Therefore is the changing of sections and randomized mission handling a very good feature.

Outro
This is kept neutral.

Summary
A very good mission with a lot of playability.

For myself individually I think if this mission would have been made with the right add-ons and I mean from the WWII
it would be a historical mission.  They are available by now.
Perhaps find a more suited island.
This would make it to a very special mission with a historical background.
And the right name ...

Regards limmy3
The only necessary for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2008, 04:49:53 »
While these reviews are steamin' hot. Is anybody taking this mission for official review yet? If not I'll be glad to take it under, hopefully if it's not to big for my 512MB of RAM.   :confused:

oops, noticed it was reviewed on the old OFPEC site...
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2008, 05:07:27 by NightJay0044 »
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Denz

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2008, 05:08:25 »
It's already been done mate. This is an updated version of the mission that we lost during the big unmentionable.
Hawkins did the original review way back when and it's included in the download. I'm surprised nobody has added it to the MD yet...... unless I said I would do it then of course it's completely understandable  :P

I'll fix the situation now.

You can read the review here.
The review is actually from a previous version but after reading the changelog the only update is the briefing.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2009, 02:06:49 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69