• urp!
7-zip
« on: 21 Jan 2008, 14:49:48 »
Please add 7-Zip to the file extension upload filter for the forums. i.e. *.7z
urp!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: 7-zip
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2008, 15:46:40 »
Ummmm.......why?

Is plain old zip or rar not good enough?   :P

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2008, 19:30:39 »
I think it's because:

a) Lots of addon-hosting communities and such out there have started using 7zip because it compresses stuff a lot more efficiently.
b) Can still be opened with i.e. WinRAR.

In short, it's...cool?

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2008, 20:47:11 »
It is a nice format. It compresses more and better than usual *.rar and *.zip and it is from an open-source program :) no need to install the proprietary software like winrar or winzip (even though they have trial period IIRC).
And yes many addon makers are now using .7z, so it would be a nice addition.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2008, 17:13:22 »
7-zip is non-proprietary and easily allows splitting a large file into parts, something the windows shell zip does not do.  I wanted to upload some sound files that were part of Gen Barron's Handsignals, but I can't because the only format for which I can freely provide split zips under the size limit, is 7-zip.
urp!

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2008, 21:11:33 »
The advantage of using ZIP is that it is supported by operating systems, so it is without the need to first find a place to download from, and then to download, a program which handles the <insert compression algorithm x here> format.

:scratch:

This is a comment to NBSVieiraPT which maybe didn't notice that for ZIP you need not to download anything if you use an operating system such as Microsoft Windows XP or newer (or Linux distros). This is not a comment against 7-zip, just a reminder what is ZIP's strongest point.

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2008, 21:26:02 »
Well Baddo by no means I wanted to refer 7zip format as a substitute for *.zip. It is specially for the feature you pinpointed that .zip should remain as the main file format to the upload system, however 7zip is a better substitute for the features described above.  ;) So we can have some alternatives that don't pass through .rar.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2008, 17:16:17 »
Yes, zip is free with Windows XP. However, you can not produce split archives with it if your file size is over the attachment limit. This is the reason I brought this up. 7-zip can produce split archives and is free. WinRAR and WinZip are not.

edit: split 7-zip archives have the file extensions: *.7z.xxx
where xxx is 001,002,003 ...

Please enable this upload type.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 21:49:29 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2008, 11:12:55 »
Is it not possible to use WinZip or WinRAR or some other archiving software to produce split packages? Or is it not possible to use the 7-zip archiver to pack in RAR or Zip format?
Not all is lost.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2008, 18:38:52 »
As far as I know you have to buy WinZIP or Rar to be able to split volumes.
I might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2008, 18:40:35 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:39:22 »
Is it not possible to use WinZip or WinRAR or some other archiving software to produce split packages? Or is it not possible to use the 7-zip archiver to pack in RAR or Zip format?

No  :no:

As far as I know you have to buy WinZIP or Rar to be able to split volumes.
I might be wrong though.
That has been my point this entire post. WinZip and WinRAR are not free, although you can use them indefinitely without registering. If you have the old DOS command line versions of RAR or PKZIP(and does anyone continue to maintain these?) you can do whatever you want, but if ease of use is important, 7-zip is a possible solution. All you have to do is add *.7z and *.7z.* to the upload filters. I really don't see what the fuss is all about.   :no:
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 16:43:53 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:54:15 »
Maybe you can't see the problem, but I for one can.

The average member doesn't have 7zip and has probably never heard of it, so when he downloads said 7zip archive we are going to get multiple topics opened asking what the f*c* do they do with this 7zip thing as it doesn't work by popping it into the Addons folder.
When they are told that it is another utility for packing files up, they are going to ask why do they have to download and install yet another program in order to open them, why is winzip and/or winrar not good enough.

I realise the problem with the large sound files you have but 7zip is not a popular program used by the majority and would only serve to confuse those members that do not use it or indeed know that it exists.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2008, 22:31:13 »
I see what you mean. Well, you're right ;)
I can see the mess in some newbies' minds.

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2008, 04:06:15 »
7-zip is non-proprietary and easily allows splitting a large file into parts, something the windows shell zip does not do.  I wanted to upload some sound files that were part of Gen Barron's Handsignals, but I can't because the only format for which I can freely provide split zips under the size limit, is 7-zip.

Pack them all in 7-zips, then pack those in WinRAR files to upload them, but in multiple files.  :good:

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2008, 17:36:00 »
Not going to happen. I do not have, nor do I want a RAR archiver. This site's adamant refusal to accept *.7z, which has become the open source archive format, aggravates me. A classic resource will be lost because I refuse to pirate winrar or winzip. Ease of use goes both ways. If it is "too confusing" for the average user to download, install, and use 7zip, it is "too confusing" for me to have to find, download, install pkzip and make split archives from the command line. It is also "too confusing" to have to rename file extensions from *.7z to *.zip to upload them, and much "too confusing" for a staff member to then rename and unpack them. Oh the horror of it all!

If anyone wants it, they can PM me and I will email it to them. Once my computer has a hard drive failure, they are gone forever.
urp!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2008, 20:25:38 »
@Mr.Peanut

A classic resource will be lost because I refuse to pirate winrar or winzip.

What do you mean? You can compress as .rar or .zip with 7zip as well as the native 7z format. There's no need to download and use either program. Likewise you can open .rar and .zip files with 7zip. Only reason I use WinRar is because I can't get 7zip to zip anything any better than WinRar (no idea how the people over at Armaholic do it!), and Winrar is already considered my default program in Windows and I can't be arsed to change that. :) Haven't touched WinZip in years.

It's unfortunate with the zipping (as in making smaller) in general though, how big did you say this resource was? I'm sure something can be arranged!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2008, 00:51:35 »
winzip7.exe is freeware and winrar too. no need for any others , IMO really!
cheers schuler
Semper Fi

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2008, 11:01:25 »
WinRAR as far as I know isn't freeware. It is proprietary software but with a trial that we all know means nothing as you can just click continue... Still, not freeware. WinZip, I never used so won't speak about it.

;)

Better than this all 7zip vs winRAR battle I still prefer the good ole' Linux file-roller :whistle: and that's what I will keep using for all my files hehe  :shhh:

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2008, 00:06:20 »
AFAIK WinRAR and WinZip are 30-day licensed shareware, but neither has coded a timer into their software to enforce this. That is why so many people think it is free when it is not. The DOS interfaces to Zip and RAR might be free.

Z-zip uncompress RAR and Zip, but it does not compress them.
urp!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2008, 02:53:46 »
are you sure about winzip7.exe i have had it for years and winrar too. ? :dunno:
cheers schuler. maybe someone gave them to me!!!!
Semper Fi

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2008, 15:21:30 »
Yes I am sure. I checked their websites yesterday to see if I was correct or not and found no mention of freeware. It is a massive misconception that these software are free, shareware, or non-commercially freeware.

Anyhow. I don't care anymore. I renamed my files by adding a zip extension and they got past the filter. The sound plugin for General Barron's Handsignal command system are now attached to a thread and anyone who really wants them can get them.

Suffice it to say, I am not impressed by the continuation of this backassward policy, but I will never mention it again.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 15:24:18 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2008, 16:23:18 »
lol i understand that!  :yes: sorry to as i said i have had zip and win for more that 8 years, if 7zip works why not?
anyways i will never mention it again too!!!!!!  ;)
sometimes i put my fingers on the keyboard where they should not go!
and sometimes my wife tells me i have a hangnail on my finger too  ;)
cheers schuler
Semper Fi

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jun 2008, 08:11:01 »
Suffice it to say, I am not impressed by the continuation of this backassward policy, but I will never mention it again.

And so the founding of Fascism was made.  :clap:

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: 02 Jun 2008, 14:15:39 »
founding of Fascism
not to mention it again,  :) owwww  standards not oppressive or suppression
the best for all,,,, i would think, 
@Rommel, you are aloud to say what you think, mate ;),,lol good on you,,,
and me too ,,, go 'magpies:D
this topic is something to be solved!
cheers schuler,,,,, i myself dont see any point in this topic anymore.  leaves me more confused when i read it again and again,,,,,
Semper Fi