Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA  (Read 5522 times)

Offline RM Snipe

• Members
  • RM kicks butt!
Re: Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2008, 15:38:24 »
Scripts are to much for my tiny brain..   :dunno:  Have to learn how the anims work now so doors,ramps etc work.
Thought I would step up from static model tonight to a driveable ship,is in game but wont move at all,have engine noise but bloody handbrakes on.  ::)
How are you getting on with your problem Kaio23 ??? I could have look at your config but I'm think its maybe a p3d problem if model is flying around the map like you describe.

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:27:37 »
I've made some significant progress. I located the guys who ported it into ArmA and they provided me a copy to use for private operations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4VJETXfCK4 - Myself landing on the carrier with an F/A-18

There are issues however..

1) The Hornet mod can't seem to stay static on the carrier. This is mostly a cosmetic issue but it's annoying to see the planes bouncing up and down on the flight deck. The harrier is stable on it so I suspect it's a problem with the F/A-18 Add-On

2) A really critical issue: there are three parts of the carrier: nose, middle, and rear. Each time you try to cross over to a section there''s a seam where planes and infantry alike fall to the ocean. I need to somehow correct this "bridge" and have a smooth overall flight deck.After further testing I have concluded that it is impossible to operate on this carrier without at least once accidentally sending a plane or pilot to his death. It also makes F/A-18 landings frustrating.

3) The carrier arrestor cable system is stupid and too difficult to use. We can only use Harriers (Landing via VTOL, which is not that hard. All you have to do is auto hover, and bring the plane to 0 speed over the carrier and it'll slowly descend) and Hornet (Built in tailhook system that brings it to a halt when landing with the tailhook lowered).

4) The carrier levitates wherever it's put, so mission makers will have to put in "this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 5]" in the init field in order for the carrier to be on the ocean. Not that hard at all.

Issue 2 needs to be fixed. Landings are impossible unless you're very precise (Notice how I overshot my landing so I would land in the middle of the carrier). For the most part you'll just fall into the small gaps between the sections of the carrier. Issue 1 also needs to be repaired for my sanity so my carrier task force isn't a bunch of planes bouncing around :P.  You can see what I mean by watching the video I posted.

I am willing to supply the add on to anyone who thinks they can take a stab at the problem. My MSN is alex.p@rogers.com and my email is isodes@gmail.com . The modders who gave it to me have explicitly asked that this never be PUBLICLY released, so I ask that you guys respect that.