Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA
« on: 15 Jan 2008, 07:03:39 »
Hey guys,

A small group of modders were working on porting the USS Nimitz into ArmA with the permission from the original creator, Hawks. However, before they could finish, they were deployed overseas, and conversion on the carrier had stopped. As far as I know a static version was working with refuelling/re-arming capabilities. In my case, what I need is a floating static object. I don't need it to repair or refuel, move, or attack, I just need a carrier that floats. Anyone know what I'm going to need to do with the config files to achieve this?

A link to the thread: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=85d925e44b6fb12514bbfb0b8d082d5b;act=ST;f=69;t=56871

And a link to Hawks' Nimitz if you want to take a look at it: http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Nimitz_Carrier;35975

I tried just changing the version needed and making the config as "ArmA" as possible, but the game CTDs and gives me an error saying something about the model not being version 7 or something like that. Any ideas?

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: Porting Hawks' Nimitz to ArmA
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2008, 17:59:22 »
Unfortunately, the Nimitz model files are not compatible with ArmA, being version 7 I believe.

You would need an MLOD version of the model files to be able to load it into O2 and resave it as an ArmA compatible model file.

The Nimitz addon you linked to is binarized which means the model files will be ODOL versions, which cannot be loaded into O2.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2008, 22:27:46 »
I see. What about the Kuznetov here: http://www.ofp-arma.cznhl.com/downloads/addons_boats.php

This loads into ArmA but won't float on water....it's fine when beached on land though. In the mean time I'll try and get in touch with Hawks to get the old MLOD models. It puzzles me why more mod makers aren't porting their awesome add-ons into ArmA.

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2008, 01:27:52 »
Unfortunately, the Nimitz model files are not compatible with ArmA, being version 7 I believe.
And what? Sounds like you never saw binarized model in ofp times... ;) Just convert it using ODOLexplorer and resave using new o2. You'll loose mass info and smooth groups - nut it's not critical and can be solved easily.
It puzzles me why more mod makers aren't porting their awesome add-ons into ArmA.
Despite the fact that many addon makers are far not satisfied with arma there's one more thing -
most of these 'awesome' addons (inc Nimitz) are old crap for arma engine (crappy model, crappy textures, mapping etc ) - someone can think it's enough but...it doesn't change the fact.   you know it's better to start from the scratch then waste the time on this. 
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2008, 01:29:35 by bdfy85 »
Liberation Mod scripts&balance

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2008, 07:44:01 »
Eh, how much time could it really take? We need something very very basic and rudimentary to act as a carrier.

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2008, 10:13:37 »
to port crappy old stuff from ofp to arma ? i guess it can be done in a night (though you never know wat troubles can appear) if you got enough experience.
But if you don't - it can be eternity )) You may also want to contact Gnat  - he posted pictures of this converted  crap at of. forums
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2008, 13:20:04 by bdfy85 »

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2008, 15:29:08 »
Gnat never releases anything until it's 100% to his standards. Which takes forever.

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2008, 16:22:32 »
if it's so - i respect his point of view ;) believe me my standarts are even higher :D
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2008, 16:29:04 by bedges »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2008, 16:29:43 »
please get this thread back on topic.

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2008, 21:26:06 »
Well, if anyone wants to solve my issues with the Kuznetsov not floating on water let me know. The CFG files need to be drastically changed I imagine to get it to float and conform to ArmA's physics. I really don't know what to do so essentially I guess I'm asking someone to do all the work...in which case I won't blame you if you say no :P

Sigh.

Offline RM Snipe

• Members
  • RM kicks butt!
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2008, 10:01:35 »
I'm having same problem with a ex-ofp static ship not floating, problem worse after 1.08 patch. Tried defining it in config from other objects e.g. small buoy,tried raising it in o2 but still no fix. Does anyone know how to fix this as ppl could do with a solution..  :weeping:

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2008, 16:52:16 »
Exact same problem I have, RM Snipe. In the case of the Kuznetsov the ship sinks in water, but the control tower floats in the air. When I try to do a setpos/getpos scripting work-around to get it to levitate the carrier goes at light speed across the map.

VERY frustrating...

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2008, 22:09:15 »
I'm having same problem with a ex-ofp static ship not floating, problem worse after 1.08 patch
just setpos it to zero height through init script
Anyway a lot of work was invested in this model for ofp, but for arma there're too much flaws - bad mapping makes it flicker even in short distance, mipmaps are switching strangelly (i guess due to mapping too), geometry holes on the deck are still in there etc (i spent not very long to test it) - i don't even speak about the textures )) A lot of time needed to solve all this.
Better wait for the Gnat - he's a good coder, maybe he'll get it good in arma someday.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008, 22:11:10 by bdfy85 »

Offline RM Snipe

• Members
  • RM kicks butt!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2008, 12:25:26 »
Getpos seems to work in the init field/s but not with groups in the config,ship is multi sectioned.

Cheers for the help,much appreciated...  :good:

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2008, 13:07:08 »
just think a bit ;) only first section apperas on map - others are created via script. setpos it in biuld.sqs then. although as i said i doubt the result will be any good without serious model changes. the

#quote removed - there is no need to quote the post to which you are replying.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 14:42:27 by bedges »

Offline RM Snipe

• Members
  • RM kicks butt!
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2008, 15:38:24 »
Scripts are to much for my tiny brain..   :dunno:  Have to learn how the anims work now so doors,ramps etc work.
Thought I would step up from static model tonight to a driveable ship,is in game but wont move at all,have engine noise but bloody handbrakes on.  ::)
How are you getting on with your problem Kaio23 ??? I could have look at your config but I'm think its maybe a p3d problem if model is flying around the map like you describe.

Offline Kaio23

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2008, 06:27:37 »
I've made some significant progress. I located the guys who ported it into ArmA and they provided me a copy to use for private operations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4VJETXfCK4 - Myself landing on the carrier with an F/A-18

There are issues however..

1) The Hornet mod can't seem to stay static on the carrier. This is mostly a cosmetic issue but it's annoying to see the planes bouncing up and down on the flight deck. The harrier is stable on it so I suspect it's a problem with the F/A-18 Add-On

2) A really critical issue: there are three parts of the carrier: nose, middle, and rear. Each time you try to cross over to a section there''s a seam where planes and infantry alike fall to the ocean. I need to somehow correct this "bridge" and have a smooth overall flight deck.After further testing I have concluded that it is impossible to operate on this carrier without at least once accidentally sending a plane or pilot to his death. It also makes F/A-18 landings frustrating.

3) The carrier arrestor cable system is stupid and too difficult to use. We can only use Harriers (Landing via VTOL, which is not that hard. All you have to do is auto hover, and bring the plane to 0 speed over the carrier and it'll slowly descend) and Hornet (Built in tailhook system that brings it to a halt when landing with the tailhook lowered).

4) The carrier levitates wherever it's put, so mission makers will have to put in "this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 5]" in the init field in order for the carrier to be on the ocean. Not that hard at all.

Issue 2 needs to be fixed. Landings are impossible unless you're very precise (Notice how I overshot my landing so I would land in the middle of the carrier). For the most part you'll just fall into the small gaps between the sections of the carrier. Issue 1 also needs to be repaired for my sanity so my carrier task force isn't a bunch of planes bouncing around :P.  You can see what I mean by watching the video I posted.

I am willing to supply the add on to anyone who thinks they can take a stab at the problem. My MSN is alex.p@rogers.com and my email is isodes@gmail.com . The modders who gave it to me have explicitly asked that this never be PUBLICLY released, so I ask that you guys respect that.