Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project management tools for the community provided by OFPEC?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
Hello

Has OFPEC considered offering these services to the OFP&ArmA Community?

1) Bug Tracking System
Offer means for community projects to track issues in a centralized, organized manner.

2) Project Management System
Offer means for community projects to organize their work in a centralized place.

3) Version Control System
Offer Subversion-like repositories for community projects.

4) Wiki
Offer a Wiki for community projects. I mean not just pages on someone else's Wiki, but give the projects (visually) a Wiki of their own.

5) Forum
Offer a forum for community projects. They could have both private and public boards according to their needs.

6) Website space
Offer website space for community projects. They should have a "frontpage" into their project. I don't know, this could maybe be in their Wiki.

7) Project Templates
When people create a project account, they should get a basic project template. To minimize their hassle to get started.

Separate all data enough from the main website, so that if someone at some project screws something up, not whole ofpec website would suffer.

You could have domains like "community.ofpec.com" or domains like "myproject.ofpec.com" and so on. Or to not possibly increase costs in this area, just ofpec.com/myproject.

Examples of software which could be used: http://trac.edgewall.org/ Trac offers source code management and some kind of project management. Trac features.

I know this (hosting community projects) has been discussed before, and I think it is now a good time to lift the cat to the table again  :P

It's what OFPEC could do to be even more useful to the community.

Potential problems could be:
- Who implements all of that? Well it's an idea, not something I expect to see done overnight  :scratch:
- Running costs? You would need to be more aggressive regarding donations. Maybe even advertize "google" and what else. Also one option could be to have a small initial fee for the projects. That could rule many projects out though.
- Inactive projects. Put them to "sleep" mode, i.e. push them out of sight, after certain time of inactivity has passed. And kill them when clearly too much time has gone without any activity.
- Spammers and the like. Someone would have to keep an eye on what is going on, as OFPEC server/owner/staff is responsible for what is displayed on the website.

OFPEC registration would be required for everyone who wants to create a project account and participate in those projects.

Some food for thought.

Best Regards,
Baddo.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2007, 15:22:34 by Baddo »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
interesting ideas, some of which have already been discussed internally.

we have an ongoing set of development priorities, the main one being ditching mambo, which should happen during January '08. once the current round of improvements are finished and stable, we'll move on to the results of the recent Membership Survey, including your suggestions above.

oh, and happy hogmanay everyone ;)

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Very good points Baddo  :good:

It would be superb if OFPEC could show and maybe even learn people
how to develop in a more professional and efficient manner. Way to go.  :)

These excellent tools would be one step in that direction.  :good: