Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Addon shadows  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Obmar

• Members
  • - Obmar -
    • Bush Wars Mod
Addon shadows
« on: 23 Oct 2007, 08:27:45 »
Anyone know what needs to be done to get addons to cast shadows on themselves. I have made the shadow lods and addons cast perfect shadows on the ground. The problem is that no shadows are cast on the addon itself eg. the rotors on the helicopters dont cast shadows on the helicopters like the ones in ArmA do. Any idea why or what the trick is?
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
Re: Addon shadows
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2007, 21:59:07 »
ShadowVolume lod ;) search the biki if you want to know more
Liberation Mod scripts&balance

Offline Obmar

• Members
  • - Obmar -
    • Bush Wars Mod
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:26:56 »
I finally found what the problem was. When making helicopters you cannot add the "mala vrtule blur" or "velka vrtule blure" selection directly onto the model lods. This causes a problem with the shadow volumes and does not allow shadows to be cast on the actual helicopter. The right way to add the "mala vrtule blur" or "velka vrtule blure" selection to the helicopters is by making a seperate .p3d of the "mala vrtule blur" or "velka vrtule blure" selection and adding them to the model with a proxy selection and defining the proxy with the named selections eg "mala vrtule" and "mala vrtule blure" or "velka vrtule" and "velka vrtule blur" . Now all the shadow volumes work perfectly and cast shadows on the helicopters as well.

Offline bdfy85

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2007, 10:53:58 »
not exactly ;)You can make it directly. But shadow is just not drawn in buldozer if there're alpha textures in the model. Works well in game though. You have to sort alpha i guess to make it worky in buldozer. That's why zasleh'ss and vrtule's azre made via proxies. You can just hide them too and preview model in o2 with shadows
Liberation Mod scripts&balance

Offline Obmar

• Members
  • - Obmar -
    • Bush Wars Mod
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2007, 02:52:05 »
I had the problem with my Alouette IIIs addon. Where the model casts shadows on ground but not on itself. It took me a while to figure out what the problem was. As soon as I removed the velka vrtule from the model the shadows appeared on the model. The new versions will have the velka vrtule blur (Rotor Blured texture) named selection in the model via a proxy.
The zashleh (Muzzel Flash) can be incorporated directly onto the weapon model without problems but do work much better with proxys.

Offline scud

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2007, 06:55:10 »
Thank you Obmar
just solved one of my problems

cheers  :)
Those that know - say nothing. Those that know nothing - tell all.

Offline Obmar

• Members
  • - Obmar -
    • Bush Wars Mod
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2007, 07:33:50 »
No problem mate, I must say that this problem had me quite confused and frustrated to the point where I started removing the named selections one by one from the model lods. As soon as I removed the "velka vrtule blur" selection the shadows appeared. I noticed that in the sample BIS models they used a proxy for the "zashleh" muzzle flash so I did that with the "blur" rotor selections. Made the "velka vrtule blur" and "mala vrtule blur" each in a seperate .p3d then incorporated them onto the model each with a proxy, applied the named selections to each proxy eg "velka vrtule and velka vrtule blur" or "mala vrtule and mala vrtule blur". Now the rotor animations work perfectly ingame and the helicopters have the shadows cast on themselves.

I think I should write up another mini-tutorial on this subject