Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Request Help - Information being passed by one unit to another group  (Read 977 times)

Offline trooper543

• Members
Hi there All

Currently trying to establish if a unit can pass on information of enmy units to another group. What i am tryding to do is a have a spotter plane / helicopter at 1000 + up in the air circling the  area and reporting enemy postions back to troops on the ground. Is this possible do, or is this something that i would need a script to do.

It would be nice to have the Spotter Aircraft call out postions and direction of movement
Please note that the Spotter Aircraft and Grousp are not connected

Any help would be most appreciated

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
The only way to do it automatically would be to have the spotter aircraft in the same group as the soldiers. If you are happy using someone else's script, then something like GroupLink II shares information between groups for you.

To do it yourself, I'd go through the list of nearTargets for the plane every few seconds and for each one, reveal it to the group of soldiers. If you want the aircraft to call out positions and directions, then there are a few functions at OFPEC that could help: SPON_directionName, GetRCoord and/or GridCoord. I think you'd need to make sure the server view distance was enough to allow a plane at 1000+ metres up in the air to actually see anything on the ground.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2007, 15:56:23 by Spooner »
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline trooper543

• Members
Thanks for that Spooner !

I will give the Grouplink 11 a try and see if that will work.

this for a SP mission mate , i wouldnt know where to begin for craeting a multiplayer mission  :dunno: ??? :dunno:

But thanks a million for the help much appreciated

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Still, in SP if the player set viewdistance to 500m, then a plane at 1000m altitude wouldn't see anything on the ground. If you are relying on the plane being able to spot things from that range, you probably need to use setViewDistance or you know some player is going to complain that the mission isn't working properly ::).
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)