Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Coop essentials" Package (DELETED)  (Read 11351 times)

Offline lebson506th

• Members
Re: "Coop essentials" Package (TESTING)
« Reply #15 on: 07 Jan 2008, 00:07:24 »
I just switched over to this from the Dynamic Group Creator, and I'm having some problems.

When i call the script, the group is created, but after a few seconds all but 1 guy disappears and the i get the following error in my arma.rpt:

Code: [Select]
Error in expression <oup _cep_group;
if (count cep_DynBr_Men > cep_DynBr_max_men) then
{
while {(coun>
  Error position: <> cep_DynBr_max_men) then
{
while {(coun>
  Error >: Type String, expected Number
Error in expression <oup _cep_group;

If i set cep_DynBr_max_men and cep_DynBr_max_veh in init.sqf, the error goes away but it doesn't change anything.

Also, after the disappear, i can walk toward the center of the trigger and they respawn again. Any ideas?

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2008, 03:50:54 »
@lebson506th

When i call the script, the group is created, but after a few seconds all but 1 guy disappears
Also, after the disappear, i can walk toward the center of the trigger and they respawn again.
This is a wanted behaviour. Whenever a group is created (not implemented for vehicles) a secondary script is launched for each group, checking distance to nearest enemy of the group. If teh distance exceeds a certain range, the group is reduced to group leader and the rest is stored. Whenever an enemy closes up, the group is restored and should behave as they were there all the time. The group leader always remains to guarantee  realistic group movements while enemies are away. This way you might guess where the group could be whenever you return to them. No fancy random replacement.
This feature should help to reduce CPU load as not a group of maybe 10 units has to be calculated but only a single unit. Especially in bigger missions, human players might change theyr mind and after a first attack maybe switch to another objective. As the zone is already activated at this point, switching to another objective and activating more zones might lead to CPU slowdowns.

About the error in the arma.rpt: never seen this before. If nothing else goes wrong and everything works fine, you may ignore it. If it bothers you or it doesn't work as expected, please send me the mission as editor version so i can take a look at it.

Myke out

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jan 2008, 05:10:38 »
The way i observed it, the guys spawned when i was about 20m from the center of the circle, then all but 1 despawned. The rest of the squad didn't respawn until i was about 2-5m from the group leader's dead body...

Also, i tried changing the distance variable and that didn't seem to change anything.

The error in the arma.rpt was a weirdly worded version of an error i was getting in game. I'll get a screen shot of it, as well as find more accurate measurements as to the distances for spawning and despawning.

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2008, 03:54:52 »
@lebson506th

Did you dowload the A-CEP here on OFPEC or from Armaholic? If its from armaholic re-download it from here (first post) as this is the newer version of it and some problems with unit caching was fixed. I'm too lazy when it comes to update my packs on all sites...my fault.

However, what was the zone size u used? Did you make a Mission or just some tests with the A-CEP with very small zones?

Once the group is created, the caching routines no longer takes zone center as reference but the actual position of the group leader. The distance the group is restored should be a little smaller than the zone size (just a few meters) and the caching distance should be similar to zone size.

So if you have a zone with size of 100 as example, you stand close to its boarder and the groups are created, one close to you, the other on the far edge of the zone, the group near you should not delete units (you're closer than 100m from them) for caching but the far group will (as the distance is bigger than 100m).

This is how it SHOULD work. If it doesnt and you're sure you have the latest version (no need for editing scriptcalls, 100% compatible) a screenshot of the error and a sample mission (editor version please, not a .pbo) would be nice. As i said, never heard of that error before but this means nothing.

Awaiting your informations to track down this ugly bug.

Myke out

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2008, 04:08:55 »
I got it from ArmaHolic, so i'll get it from here and try again.

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2008, 19:17:38 »
Here's the error message i get (Same as before)

Code: [Select]
'...oup _cep_group;
if (count cep_DynBr_men |#|> cep_DynBr_men_max) then
{
while{(coun...'
Generic error in expression

Happens when someone is killed and the rest of the group is cached.

Either the group leader, or me, still happens either way.

Also, the unit don't uncache until i get really close to the dead group leader.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2008, 19:31:37 by lebson506th »

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2008, 04:51:54 »
Any thoughts?

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2008, 19:09:23 »
However, what was the zone size u used? Did you make a Mission or just some tests with the A-CEP with very small zones?

Once the group is created, the caching routines no longer takes zone center as reference but the actual position of the group leader. The distance the group is restored should be a little smaller than the zone size (just a few meters) and the caching distance should be similar to zone size.

So if you have a zone with size of 100 as example, you stand close to its boarder and the groups are created, one close to you, the other on the far edge of the zone, the group near you should not delete units (you're closer than 100m from them) for caching but the far group will (as the distance is bigger than 100m).

This is how it SHOULD work. If it doesnt and you're sure you have the latest version (no need for editing scriptcalls, 100% compatible) a screenshot of the error and a sample mission (editor version please, not a .pbo) would be nice. As i said, never heard of that error before but this means nothing.

Awaiting your informations to track down this ugly bug.

Please send me the requested editorversion of the mission so i can see 1 on 1 what you did and where it hangs. Not .pbo'ed please.

Myke out

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2008, 23:54:45 »
I'll send you a stripped down version later tonight.

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2008, 20:32:27 »

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2008, 02:34:55 »
Thanks for the editorversion.

Found the following error: your scriptcall for the initializing script was written with "old" parameters. Some things changed. The Body remover now takes two numbers instead of string and number. Also a there's a new parameter (editormode: additional markers are set and hints showing the progress of the zones initialization) to set.

In the PDF it is described how the parameters work. refer to it please.

As i changed this, i didn't got any error. What i can say about the caching: it is supposed to select triggering distance big enough so Players wont see the creation (and counterwise the AI wont see the Player too) and the caching.

I guess it's my bad. Didn't worked on or used the A-CEP for a long time so i forgot that i made some changes in the init scriptcall. I'm sorry for this.

One advise though as i don't know what kind of mission you are about to make: for enemies that come at the very beginning of the mission and the player wont have the choice to avoid this conflict situation, it is maybe better to work with editorplaced groups and units instead of using the A-CEP for it. You can enable body removal for those Units too, there's a chapter in the PDF about it.

Hope this helps, else feel free to ask for further help.

Editors note:
As Mapfact has now released it's DAC i don't plan to work more on the A-CEP, except bughunting if any came up. Everyone's free to edit the scripts to its own needs. Anyone may use code out of it if anyone has use for it.

Myke out

Offline lebson506th

• Members
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2008, 15:42:42 »
The part that i sent you was actually the very end of my mission.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it. I'll look at the PDF... i swore i had it right. Oh well.

EDIT: Yup, works great. Thanks =)
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 16:14:41 by lebson506th »

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2008, 19:39:20 »
Anyway, thanks for looking into it
No problem mate, glad i could help. Don't forget to delete the PDF from the mission to keep filesize small ;-)

Myke out