Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The OFPEC COMREF PDF  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
The OFPEC COMREF PDF
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 14:50:08 »
Hi

I was delighted to see there is a PDF version of the COMREF.

I noticed you put the images of the objects into the end of the document. It was disappointing to notice that there was no classnames with the images. As such, the object image list is, in my humble opinion, highly unusable. What a scripter needs to know is not only how the object looks like, but essentially, what is its classname. Now the image list in the PDF is there to make the PDF significantly larger but doesn't add much value.

Other info like the .pd3 filename and location would not be a bad addition either. Maybe planck has this info in one of his references?

I have to even question the need of putting the object image list to the comref in the first place. Wouldn't it be better to have such info in a separate document? Now the pdf comref is unnecessarily heavy for no clear benefit, even if you put the classnames into it I think it still would make more sense to have the images in a separate document.

Anyways, I gotta say this kind of documents are what OFPEC should be producing. Higher quality documents optimized for printing is what OFPEC could offer to this community.

Regards,
Baddo.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: The OFPEC COMREF PDF
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 14:56:42 »
Hello Baddo,

Regarding the images, if you look in the cfgVehicle trees for OFP or ArmA, you will see all the relevant classnames which are also links to the pictures, so any author may see the classname before he actually clicks the link to view the image.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2007, 15:19:03 »
Seems to be true! My apologies for missing that.

But. I think the classnames should be with the images. It would be much better if people could browse the images, and see the classnames right there with the images, instead of having to look back into the cfgVehicles list. As the images are what people know from the game, and not the classnames, it would be more convenient this way to find what you are looking for.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2007, 15:59:06 »
Can't be done I am afraid. I had to make some hard decisions when making the pdf.  I did not want to rewrite the whole comref so I made a modified copy of the webpages and converted to pdf. This took a lot of fiddling to get it to look correct. I then had to hand edit the pdf which took several hours. If I made any changes to the webpage format I would have to do all the hand editing all over again. I decided that it would be better to include everything. The webpages link directly to the images, so there was no easy way to link the images back to the classes.

There are a lot of other limitations that result from the pdf conversion, but I decided it was better had have something than nothing. The pdf at the very least behaves like a local version of the html. I agree a separate document for the classes with proper pdf object data is a good idea, but that is not a project I will tackle. I barely scraped together the time to do this much, and I did it to prove that a standalone comref could be easily made, relatively speaking, from the online version.
urp!

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2007, 20:35:32 »
Alright :)