Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Fida'i - Checkpoint (polished edition)  (Read 5586 times)

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
ok now i got everything done... just ny sugestions 4 polish nd oder stuff... nd itll b cool... it now includes sounds nd intro nd outro... go nd hear my arabic nd hebrew ;)... newerer ver uploaded adresing wolfrugs beta test

Information
Type: SP
Length: 10 minutes
Addons: none.
Requirements: ArmA - v1.08

Mission Summary
leading your brother u need 2 go and capture a POW from da checkpoint.

Comments

I need feedback about da timing of da rienforcments

LCD OUT
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:14:15 by Cheetah »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
Re: [sp]Fida'i - Checkpoint (polished edition)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2007, 20:45:29 »
Package
It has everything it needs. You should add a spoiler warning or something at the end... :p

Overview
The overview is good. Nice joke, a polish flag when the mission has been "polished".

Intro
The intro was kinda cool, with the slowed time and all. Some music wouldn't have been bad.

Briefing
Two spelling mistakes in the notes:
conentrate -> concentrate
prisioner -> prisoner (x2)
Otherwise it was fine. It had some useful information too.

Mission
I left the other guy to guard the car, didn't want him to get killed. I waited until the suicide bomber killed
one of the US soldiers and then I opened fire from the hill, left side of the rocks. I also destroyed the radio on
top of the barrels. Didn't take long until I had killed everyone with a weapon. Accidentally killed a guy without
one but at least there was still one left. I took him as hostage, moved to the car and put him in the trunk.
Mission completed.

Debriefing
Nothing wrong here. Completed the mission with 7 infantry kills. Duration 7 minutes.

Outro
The outro was cool. First time I see someone using a missile camera.

Summary
The mission was fine. You should add somekind of note that you need to go next to the POW to put him in the trunk.
Took me a while to understand it, I tried to order him to go in a seat. Anyway, nice job.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2007, 21:10:43 by Denz »

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2007, 22:03:41 »
thx 4 da beta...

Accidentally killed a guy without one but at least there was still one left.

u sure he was w/o weapon ? mebe a handgun ? (only da last man is suposed 2 b w/o weapon)

LCD OUT

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2007, 22:17:59 »
Hmm, must have been. At least I didn't see him carrying a rifle.

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2007, 22:28:27 »
Regular, V1.08 FDFSounds, Trueview ModOverview:
Good

Intro:Briefing:
I have wrote (written) down

Intel- seems should be seem

Notes- prisonier = prisoner, baraganing= bargaining 

Gear- damn no grenades ;)

Mission:Outro:
Conclusion.
Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 10:00:27 by Cheetah »
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2007, 00:46:58 »
@ MrN

WOW  :blink: OMFG... how did u break it like dat  :blink:

now back 2 da editor....

LCD OUT

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2007, 19:51:42 »
ArmA v1.08 (no hotfix), Original: 1.06 Atari download, Veteran Mode.

Package

Needs a pic or two. Good readme.

Overview

I too like the Polish flag for a polished mission, hehehe. Good overview. Maybe put the mission name in there?

Intro

A little short. But worked well enough. Good AI work.

Briefing

Some typos:
"We are now (a) little to the north..."
wrote -> written
 in Intel section: seems -> seem
 in Assault section: theres -> there's
 in Taking POW section: wont -> won't
Notes: save -> saved
baragining -> bargaining
"...is not (a) very important..."

Good briefing overall. Explains things nice enough.

Mission

I have similar problems as MrN does... maybe worse though.

My squadmate won't go prone... flat refuses to do anything but stand. So he gets left at the truck on hold fire.
I like the way you set up the checkpoint. Good flow of civilians. I don't like that they get out of the car and run to the checkpoint. Then the US soldier runs to the civilian. Then they run back to their destinations. The civs seem to get out of the car kinda far from the checkpoint, too... The civs put their hands up for a second, then back down again.

On my first go... things were, well... weird. The third civ through the checkpoint I think was supposed to be the bomber. He ran to the US soldier, put his hands up...but no explosion. People went crazy! All the US soldiers ran around aimlessly, a few started shooting the civilian, and others shooting at his car. The rest shot at me. They instantly knew where I was even though I was hiding behind a rock. After the civ was dead for a while, then an explosion happened.

The whole checkpoint ran to me, and some started throwing grenades at the truck (where we started.) I was killed shortly after.

On my second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth tries.... the checkpoint scene worked ok sometimes, and went to hell other times. On one occasion I went up the hill to the campfire, and there was a dead US soldier there (I'm positive he was dead, his face was in the ground.) When I got close, he was suddenly brought back to life and killed me. A different time, he stayed dead... but when the bomb went off he was re-animated and shot me from behind. Really annoying.

When I managed to get things going OK, I would get into the checkpoint, see that there was only one guy left... but he was just lying there prone, spinning around, and wouldn't respond to me, I was right next to him... I even tried shooting near him. Nope. He's happy just spinning around. So I thought maybe that "Surrender" action was to order him to surrender.... it didn't quite work as planned because I surrendered to him!  :o

Frustrating to say the least! I had to give it up.

Outro

Unknown, didn't finish.

Summary

Oh the joys of ArmA! I'm about ready to give up on mission making, personally. Or at least wouldn't release them. For just this kinda reason... the mission I made is buggy as all hell for certain people. Kinda like how this one was for me. Completely the game's fault, mate.

I really like the idea of this mission, and it can probably be a lot of fun, but it just doesn't work for me. :(

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 10:01:05 by Cheetah »

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2007, 20:28:51 »
dont wory firecontrol... ill try 2 take care of everything.... even tho its really strange all this difrence between ArmA versions... just dont give up on dis game :P in da old times we used 2 say "OFP is a difficult lady" ;) or somin like that... ill b happy if u cud help me make my mision more USish compatible... and ill try 2 make ur mision more EU compatible ?

well work on dat 2gether ? :D

and watever hapens.... never give uo :D

LCD OUT

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2007, 12:37:50 »
Fida'i

Package

Readme contents are good, name should reflect the mission to prevent thousands of readme.txt. Some advertising pictures are missing in the package.

Overview

I see that you did some polishing. The polish flag doesn't make much sense (in one way it does however..) but I guess that's part of you being somewhat crazy. Nothing special about the overview, a decent one. Good text, picture with a border. You might want to add a version number or change the name a bit as there are now two versions of Fida'i in the running.

Intro

There is some lag in the intro, for some reason the city is hard to load resulting in lag. That sure doesn't make the intro any better, it is still the old short intro. It shows some good skills, but is somewhat short and at first sight not really connected to the mission itself. You might want to add a bit more to it.

Briefing

Change these parts (pay attention to bold words)
"a little to the north"
"of the checkpoint"

The extra pages are a good addition, but they don't have much detail and lack a title. Maybe add an image of my brother together with me, and some beer? To make it look worth to rescue him ;).

Other stuff is alright, could use some cleaning up. Notes section uses 0435 - looks like military time notation. There isn't much additional information for the player about the story, which is a miss.

Mission

There are guys doing some kung fu in the checkpoint, looks pretty odd but is funny in a way. The soldier checking the cars is running towards them, why not let him stay near the cars instead of running back and forth every time?

I noticed a radio alpha, you might want to remove it. Currently it displays a position..

There is a hummer coming to the base, more guys to shoot at :D I like that. Most of the guys in the base are somewhat static at first, later they tried ruining my car  :blink: Bloody bastards.

The "surrender" action keeps up even though there are no enemies in my vicinity (only the guy I am after). You might want to prevent it from showing up the whole time.

Noticed on a restart that the mission can actually start out at a different time, that would be a nice touch. The pistol in the camp (and probably the guards?) - haven't spotted them - is a nice touch although I prefer the AK74 :).

At the end the M113 and Blackhawk are trying to finish me off with their MGs, luckily I can escape in time (but not before killing the blackhawk's pilot :D).

Outro

Somewhat short and not easy to understand what is going on. You might want to try and improve this one, starting by making it longer to show more of the player's escape.

Overall

Still a decent mission, still in the need of more polishing ;). Please, don't add even more polish flags..  :shhh:

PROJECT BETA APPROVED
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2007, 00:35:53 by LCD »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
ok new version dis time w/ voice overs nd new utro and intro...

enjoy

LCD OUT

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
Re: [sp]Fida'i - Checkpoint (polished edition) - new ver uploaded
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2007, 20:54:05 »
With the weekend coming I'll have another go at breaking it.  :yes:

:D

Cheers
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2007, 10:58:18 »
This took me a while, but here we go:

Package
Works for me!

Overview
Pretty average overview, nothing special.

Intro
Heh, he jumps from one building to another, Matrix-style. Cool stuff ;) Although slightly...hm...weird. It seemed like a pretty long jump. Also I wasn't entirely sure how the different people were connected, but I guess what we saw was your pal getting nabbed.

Briefing

Quite good. Didn't seem really proper for the pair of paramilitaries to add stuff under clean subsections and the like, but what do I know? :) It did what it was supposed to do.

Mission

A weird bug: whenever I first start the mission, it's broken. There's no "choose time of day" dialog, the three drivers of the cars just stand next to each other close to the camp (presumably ready to be MoveInDriver'd), the guy who's supposed to be sleeping by the fire isn't, and if you kill him no-one reacts. Pressing retry gives you the proper dialog and seems to fix the mission. Weird, anyway.

I tried this quite a lot of times, from many different directions, before getting it right. And, in the process, I managed to break it :) The things that work: The sentry is asleep and wakes up when you get too close -> it seemed though that my pal could sneak in much closer than me. Make sure the wake-up trigger triggers for both of us, not just for the player. The radios bounce away nicely and are "broken" when shot at, and no reinforcements are called. The weaponless one can be captured, although there's a slight spelling mistake in his speech (Don't shot -> don't shoot). Also, why does he speak...uhm...ArabicOrHebrew?

Things that don't quite work:
You can see the third car (the bomber) from where you start just waiting in the distance. Not a biggie, exactly, but either add some fog to hide it or make it move in from further away?
If the chopper is called, you can hear its engines revving up (at least if you're slightly south of the camp, as I was once). Call it in from further away/setpos it? Once again, not exactly a biggue, just one of those pet peeves. Lucky I didn't at least go and see if I could find the spot it started from >_>
BIG ONES:
1) If your friend is killed, there's no way to know when the magical moment for capturing a POW comes, since he's the one who tells you. Also, your friend keeps talking even if dead as long as you don't KNOW he's dead. Might want to fix that with some !alive checks or somesuch, and also let you know there's only one enemy left even if he's dead.
2) If your car is destroyed, there's apparently no way to finish the mission? I know it's unlikely your car will be killed, but what happened to me was that the last living enemy crawled up to it and shot it to pieces with his handgun. (no idea why he hated it so much) :P I suggest you simply add an extraction point that needs to be reached instead, allowing you to take a car or walk or whatever to get there.

Also, I don't know about the whole suicide bomber thing. I mean...we're going to capture _ONE_ POW to use to release ONE friend, yet in the process we already blow up one more of our own? I would understand it if the main objective here were actually to attack the checkpoint and kill lots of people (and possibly plant a surprise), in which case capturing the POW is just a -side objective-. This is in deed what the outro suggests, isn't it, that it was a regular terrorist attack? It makes precious little sense to me actually to kill 7+ people just to capture a single one, if you're working on your own (which in turn the intro suggests). If we'd be working on our own, doesn't it make more sense to instead ambush one of those patrolling hummers with an IED and capture someone from there (for example)?

For me this whole thing would make more sense, quite simply, if the POW-capturing was a side-objective, attacking the Checkpoint the main event, and you having one or two more pals with you. Alternatively, if the POW is continually the main event, then you could give the player some options on how to get one : for instance by disabling a patrolling hummer or just abducting that sleeping sentry ;)

Debriefing

Worked for me.

Outro

I got the outro with the TV reporter. Background image of the two soldiers carrying the ammo crate was coool. Very real-looking.  :D The terrorist video was a tad short, though. Could've added some more, y'know, fluff. I have a feeling people tend to become rather self-important in those kinds of videos.

Summary

There were still some game-breakers above, although they're certainly easy enough to solve. My main gripe was, I guess, with the premise of the mission itself. I do think this was a much more unique approach though: instead of directly freeing your friend you go about it this way. Goodstuff. Still, I don't know. Maybe suicide bombers don't impress me, is all. But overall, it was a unique, nicely voice-overed and generally well-scripted mission! Short, though.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007, 12:27:30 by Cheetah »
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2007, 12:12:51 »
good finds Wolfrug... thx 4 da beta ;) :D

briefing

in da 1st version it was lil more messy... but da reviewer complained about it  ::) so im not sure wat 2 do :P

mision

dialog bug is fixed :D
@ sentry thing... u can actualy kill him w/o geting detected... sneak up 2 him (on prone) nd take his handgun (its silenced...) now shot him :P
da soldiers does speak hebrew :P dis is how iot goes :P

fixed da distance thingy of da choper + other car :D

fixed also 2 major bugs :D

about da last part...

we're going to capture _ONE_ POW to use to release ONE friend, yet in the process we already blow up one more of our own? I would understand it if the main objective here were actually to attack the checkpoint and kill lots of people (and possibly plant a surprise), in which case capturing the POW is just a -side objective-. This is in deed what the outro suggests, isn't it, that it was a regular terrorist attack?

da dynamic in dis area is difrent.... an israeli soldier is usualy worth more dan 1 palestinian prisioner (sometimes u can get hundreds....) so 1 sui bomber is not dat bad actualy... also i think he voluntered....

da sleeping sentry doesnt agree 2 surender... so u cant capture it... nd no1 knows da area da hummers patrol in :P ;) also deres something da israeli army does (not my invention... it was a big news item some years ago) called hanibaal process... wich means dat u terminate ur own soldiers if dey r taken as pows... cuz dey r alwayz replaced w/ so many ppl.... so no soldier really likes 2 go down w/o a fight... specialy if deres a large group of friendlies nearby....

Outro

im gonna research some videos of da type... nd update it as nescesary..

LCD OUT

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2007, 14:59:52 »
Regular, V1.08 FDFSounds, Trueview Mod

Overview:
Fine

Intro:
Briefing:
Mission:Outro:Conclusion.Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2007, 21:32:44 by Cheetah »

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2007, 03:32:22 »
ArmA v1.08 (no hotfix), Orig: 1.06 atari, ModWar Sound Mod, cadet mode.

Overview

Same as before.  :good:

Intro

Nicely done. Good effect with the guy jumping from roof to roof, though I think he may have broken an ankle or two. :) The voices seem a little loud, but the Arabic is a nice touch.

Briefing

Good. I like the pic of the three guys in the pub. :)

Mission

Being able to choose the time is a nice touch!
Maybe disable the radio, as I'm not sure that these type of people would be using radio comms like this?
This time the mission worked quite nicely, did you change anything? I didn't notice any stupid AI behavior.
Anyway, I approached the mission the same way as last time. Waited for the bomber to ignite, then started shooting. Waited for the #2 man to give the word to move in to capture, and we did so. He surrendered, and followed us to the truck. Easy peasy. The voiceovers are a plus.  :good: Again though, they seem a little loud, since they get distorted (my volume otherwise is just right.)

Debriefing

All that needs to be is there.

Outro

I love the soldiers carrying the ammo crate! The first part of the outro with the reporter was a class act, very nice. The second part where the guy is taking credit for the attack seemed a little lacking, maybe even rushed. It felt incomplete to me.

Summary

Overall, very nice. Good mission. Even if I don't agree with the whole political side of things, the mission is good. Some awesome scripting again, and I'm glad that the bugs for me seem to have vanished. Since I can't distinguish Arabic from Hebrew all that well, the "American" soldier's voiceover was a little odd... but if it's supposed to be an Israeli, all's well then.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 05:33:14 by Denz »