Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Disable "Join in Progress"  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Trufflepig

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Disable "Join in Progress"
« on: 12 Jul 2007, 18:05:18 »
Some of the old OFPR members are resisting playing ArmA - the main reason is that in their opinion, gives more of a "rambo" style go it alone mode of play than OFPR did.  Specifically, since respawn is now very common and the join in progress is also available.  There's no reason to worry about keeping a coop style formation, tactics, or strategy in mind since you get plugged and respawn and repeat ad nauseum - this isn't a cut on the game, but just a side-effect of the ArmA as compared to OFPR.

Is there a way in the map itself:
1.  Disable the "join in progress"
2.  Remove spawning

OFPR had options for spawing vs. no-respawn available - but the "join in progress" might be a little more difficult.  Anyone know if there are scripts available yet for disabling these two functions?

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
Re: Disable "Join in Progress"
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007, 18:23:25 »
disabledAI=1; in your description.ext No AI players ==  no JIP.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2007, 18:30:33 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline ArMaTeC

• Members
  • City Life 2
    • armatechsquad.com
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:35:09 »
i might be wrong but dont disabledAI=1; just remove the AI for loading on the map at start you can still jip in to the slots though i think best way i know is to just lock the server when in progress

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2007, 23:56:40 »
I suppose a good idea is a spectating script that runs when a player connects after mission start. A problem would be if they joined an AI slot that was in-game.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:33:35 »
From the Biki page for description.ext
Miscellaneous
-------------------------------------
Removes all playable units which do not have a human player. (MP)

Note: Disabling all the AI units will prevent JIP into playable units in OFP:Elite and ArmA.

disabledAI = false/true

That's where I got my info. Of course, the Biki page has true/false instead of 0/1 so maybe the rest is suspect too.
urp!

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2007, 04:24:00 »
Indeed, disabledAI does not prevent JIP at all as armatec mentoined. I have this setting on the map i'm actually working on and also the Map "Evolution" has this enabled. You can JIP without any problems in any free playable slot.

In fact it does just automatically turns AI off as it is manually possible in the assigning screen.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007, 16:55:47 »
But with no AI slots, doesn't that mean that players can only respawn into slots from which other players have disconnected?

There is a server switch to disable JIP, but I do not know it.
urp!

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2007, 18:13:39 »
abandoned units from disconnected players will sink into ground and disappear. Never tested it so it's just a guess that if respawn is set to "Group" and there is no AI in the group, you'll probably respawn into seagull. Respawn to base works as usual and also if playable units has non-playable AI, these will be there as usual and can be used for group or side respawn.

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2008, 09:25:43 »
I echo Trufflepig's thoughts on the use of "reconnects" and "respawns" that players use to get around being killed off early.

I looked into this after reading this forum post and the "disabledAI=1" or "disabledAI= true"  in the description.ext did NOT prevent a player from JIP after the mission was started. The experiment used a host computer and a client computer that connected via the gamespy "connect to server" list.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Offline Blacknite

• Members
  • Chiefs runs the navy!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2008, 22:46:15 »
Dont you have to create a script for spawning?  You can also password protect the server if you want to keep ppl out too.

Offline USM-CPT.Dyson

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:26:57 »
Let us say you play 8 BLUFOR troops on the ground. You have 2 choices, your the disableAI command to disable AI by default, or manually disable them yourself.

Next...well that is it. If you don't set up a respawn point, then everyone who connects will be dead and everyone that dies will stay dead. What they are not realizing is that the respawn feature has been in these games since OFP. What ArmA did was allow players to enter the server AFTER the mission has started. Hence the name Join in Progress. So, to sum up:

Add to the description.ext: disableAI = 1
Don't add Respawn_xxxSidexxx markers.

Or just make a mission and do nothing, there is no default respawn. By default, there is NO respawn.
CTI SectorLink
Version: Beta 7
http://hosted.filefront.com/Spyder001/

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan 2009, 03:34:17 »
disabling AI does not work... hence the revive scripts by Norrin.... for simplicity sake if that is the reason they wont come over they can always get in a mission and lock the server lol....
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2009, 13:56:24 »
Disabling AI does work, presuming theres no respawn available. So aslong as the respawn is set to team, bird or side, ie where the players have to respawn into alive AI or not at all.