Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Preparing the invasion  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
(Review Completed) [SP] Preparing the invasion
« on: 05 Jul 2007, 16:04:16 »
Hi there,
This is the first mission I submit here. I always start a lot but don't finish them. This one I made a while ago, but finished it today. It's still missing an overview-pic. (psp trashed it:(), and voices (might need three sounds). I tried it myself a lot of times, but I would like to here some critical comments. Please also check out the mission-style (not only bugs) as it might be a bit unrealistic (which i'm no fan off actually).

The Mission:
You and your special Forces team are going to do some damage to the coastal defence in south sharani. Also you must try to kill the officer in town.

Requirements:
I made the mission with version 1.05 and extended it with 1.08, so, i think it's fair to say 1.08 required.
- Addon: Sandbagfix (included in zip)

When I'm finished my exams I'll surely beta-test more myself :D
New version 1.0

DOWNLOAD

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 13:04:37 by Cheetah »

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
Re: [SP] Preparing the invasion
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2007, 16:59:46 »
Overview
The overview is fine, but it could use a picture.

Intro
A fine intro. Nothing special but it'll do. :)

Briefing
One spelling mistake in the notes:
heared -> heard
Other than that, it's fine, but you could give an explainment for some of the markers, like the green
round area in the south.

Mission
I headed towards the town and then the paratroopers came. They came too early the player said. Would
such a great army really do that kind of mistake? :confused: My team mates shot the officer while he
was trying to run to the tents. Then we joined the attack in the town with the paratroopers from the
west. Some enemies tried to flank us from behind and some of my team mates died because of it. After
some fighting, we proceeded in the town and then I headed for the coastal guns and placed satchel
charges on them. Then I detonated them and mission got completed.

Debriefing
No spelling mistakes or anything here. Completed the mission with 12 infantry kills, an UAZ and the
coastal guns. Duration 12 minutes.

Summary
The mission still could use some work. Didn't really like the idea of the paratroopers coming too early.
:confused: You could give it one additional objective where you need to excract from the place. Also,
here's some ideas: you could also give it an objective where you'd need to destroy some AA guns too
to clear a way for the paratroopers, which you could call in with radio to join the attack to the town.
Also, does the officer really try to escape? Because it would be cool if he did. Give him a waypoint
to some car and then another one out of the town. If he gets out, the objective fails.
Just ideas, not necessary to make, but would make the mission better in my opinion.

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2007, 17:27:26 »
Summary
Didn't really like the idea of the paratroopers coming too early.
:confused: you could also give it an objective where you'd need to destroy some AA guns too
to clear a way for the paratroopers, which you could call in with radio to join the attack to the town.
That's a good idea, do you think it's best to place them out of town in the hills so you first run towards the south into the hills? I know the early thing sucks but it was the only way to get the paratroopers usefull, else they were much too late:P.

Also, does the officer really try to escape? Because it would be cool if he did. Give him a waypoint
to some car and then another one out of the town. If he gets out, the objective fails.

The officer indeed tries to escape, but because you're so close to the village, and he's kind off slow you almost always have the change to kill him. He tries to get to the UAZ which is parked in the west of town (from where you approach) and drive of in east direction. But the idea is he tries to escape as soon as Blufor is discovered around the town.

Thanks for the test mate, and so fast  :good: I will start to work on the improvements and will upload a new beta as soon as possible.

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2007, 17:46:40 »
Glad to hear you agreed with my suggestions. Yes, it would be good if they're on the hills to the south. :)

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2007, 19:06:25 »
I uploaded the new version.

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2007, 01:46:29 »
Overview
No changes here. It still could use a picture though.

Briefing
Same feedback as in the last test. It's good that you fixed the spelling mistake.

Mission
Well, this time I completed the mission kinda easily. I moved to the small village where I found the
first shilka. I shot the crew and the guards around it and then boarded it. I cleared the whole village
alone with it, shot the other shilka, eliminated the enemy officer and destroyed the AT guns. Then I
just excracted and mission got completed. You should lock those shilkas or the mission will get too
easy, but i'll try it without using the shilka now.

I headed towards the first shilka again, shot the guards around it and placed a satchel charge.
We then engaged the motorized patrol behind us. I left my team mates in the village to engage some
enemies from the town itself, which I spotted for them with my binoculars. Meanwhile I headed for the
second shilka and placed a charge next to it. Then we took a position in the hill between those
shilkas and attacked the town from there. I detonated the bombs at this point and called in the para-
troopers. I see you left the old radio messages where they say they jumped too early. You should change
it. We then attacked the town and killed the enemy officer. After it was clear, I had to "borrow" some
charges from my team mates, which I then used to destroy the AT guns. Then we headed for the excraction
point and mission got completed. The last objective didn't get completed status though, but mission got still
completed. You should fix it anyway.

Debriefing
No spelling mistakes. Completed the mission with 16 infantry kills, the shilkas, the AT guns and an UAZ.
Duration 16 minutes.

Summary
Now the mission is much better. I'm glad you used my suggestions. Thanks for it. :) All you need to do
is to fix those issues I reported above and then it will be a good mission. Also, some more difficulty
wouldn't be bad either. Maybe add one enemy tank in the town? Should be hard enough when you do that.

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2007, 08:32:54 »
Gonna use Rellikki's template here. :) I like the way you guys give feedback!

Overview
Could really use a pic! At least it's there tho.

Briefing
Good briefing, some minor grammar/spelling issues. Does a good job with the markers and hyperlinks. I knew what to expect from it.

Intro
Nice little intro! Some good camera work there.

Mission
I moved off to the southeast and killed the crewmen/infantry near the first Shilka. I promptly stole the shilka and then used it to lay waste to the rest of the mission. Maybe it should be locked? Took out the second shilka with my own shilka. Killed off all the infantry and the officer in the camp, satcheled the guns, and headed back. Didn't see the need to call in the paratroops, but perhaps they'd be useful if I didn't have that shilka. Mission ended correctly, but did not check off the last objective.

Debriefing
Does the job. Would've liked to see an outro though! Maybe something like the invasion we cleared the way for? :)

Summary
A fun little mission. Next time I'll have to resist the urge to hop into the shilka. I do feel they should be locked, or at least add a few RPG soldiers about to discourage it. I do like the way the enemy infantry respond when attacked. That alarm that sounds goes off forever, maybe it's just me, but I like it when alarms end at some point.

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2007, 14:48:36 »
Mission
I moved off to the southeast and killed the crewmen/infantry near the first Shilka. I promptly stole the shilka and then used it to lay waste to the rest of the mission. Maybe it should be locked?
You should lock those shilkas or the mission will get too
easy, but i'll try it without using the shilka now.
You guys are right, i have to admit that i 'forgot' to do it.

I see you left the old radio messages where they say they jumped too early.

The last objective didn't get completed status though, but mission got still completed. You should fix it anyway.

Also, some more difficulty
wouldn't be bad either. Maybe add one enemy tank in the town? Should be hard enough when you do that.

The radio message I forgot too, will fix it. The last objective only needs the command "5" objStatus "DONE", so that will be easy to fix :D.
I'm not a very good player (love to edit though) so I will try to add some more resistance. Maybe a sniper

Debriefing
Would've liked to see an outro though! Maybe something like the invasion we cleared the way for? :)
That alarm that sounds goes off forever, maybe it's just me, but I like it when alarms end at some point.
Maybe a small one will be added when the rest of the mission works.
I will try to make the alarm less annoying, but I guess in real life they won't turn it off until the reason for it is killed
?

Well thank you guys for the test, appreciate you took the time:D

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jul 2007, 23:31:05 »
played... i like dat style of misions (i actually hate playin misions just makin em  ::) but if i gotta play somtin it shud b shot and w/ alot of explosions  :D  ;)) <--- LCD a bad gamer  :cool2:

heres some comments on ur mision

overview : needs a pic

briefing

1) explain what alpha are (how meny soldiers what kind of etc.)
2) in da notes part it reads like dairy entry... have a dat above it :P
3) i think dat as a spcial force team we can expect a little more weapons 2 chose from in da loadout screen
4) also from a strange mision u have a choper used as playable ???
5) also maybe explain were da shilkas are (bain not exactly in da town... have a marker 2 em or somin else)

mision

1) have some patrols movin around (2 shud do it) not only static troops... also it seems i found a not movin UAZ in dere  ::)
2) remove da hint when shilkas die
3) reove da call alpha from radio selection untill its possible 2 call em
4) i shot da 2nd shilka w/ PKM and it died  :blink:  :o  :cool2:
5) remove da jump 2 dast from alpha
6) have alpha as SF or somin like dat... not regualr soldiers... keep dem 4 da invasion ;)
7) have more radio chatter between player and HQ (make HQ respond 4 player calls on completin objectives, have da player radio after each objective, have da player radio 2 call alpha)
8) tick da last objective b4 da mision is done

dats all

:good:

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2007, 01:20:16 »
Hi LCD, thanks for the notes man, some problems i already get rid of as there is a new version right now. But before i will release it i will take your comments in mind.

1) explain what alpha are (how meny soldiers what kind of etc.)
I got that, good idea
2) in da notes part it reads like dairy entry... have a dat above it :P
see point 1 ;)
3) i think dat as a spcial force team we can expect a little more weapons 2 chose from in da loadout screen
i agree, but i guess putting G36 to everyone will ease the mission:P
4) also from a strange mision u have a choper used as playable ???
i'm still considering if you can play a paratrooper after the jump (switch)...i think I'm going to leave it out, because then the player freezes (strange AI)
5) also maybe explain were da shilkas are (bain not exactly in da town... have a marker 2 em or somin else)
mmm...don't agree with that, the shilka's are 'hiddin' in around the town (they aren't too difficult to spot though)

1) have some patrols movin around (2 shud do it) not only static troops... also it seems i found a not movin UAZ in dere  ::)
they should be moving, i used the Urban Patrol Script for it :(... I will test some more and might add some more moving man (cycling;))
2) remove da hint when shilkas die
done that, was for testing
3) reove da call alpha from radio selection untill its possible 2 call em
anyone knows how? I will take a look at the BIKI, but i agree with you
4) i shot da 2nd shilka w/ PKM and it died  :blink:  :o  :cool2:
for the first shilka it's enough to kill the crew, might be that
5) remove da jump 2 dast from alpha
i'm sorry, i don't know what you mean exactly, do you mean the chopper has to land?
6) have alpha as SF or somin like dat... not regualr soldiers... keep dem 4 da invasion ;)
mmm...but then why not extract them in the first place, perhaps i have to add some more resistance and some more paratroopers so you have to call for "The Airborne" like the paratroopers that landed before D-Day :D
7) have more radio chatter between player and HQ (make HQ respond 4 player calls on completin objectives, have da player radio after each objective, have da player radio 2 call alpha)
i would love too, but radio without voices sucks in my opinion...but it's a good idead;)
8) tick da last objective b4 da mision is done
done, my fault

Thanks a lot for the test, great input mate, will help the mission to be somewhat more realistic;).
However i'm not going to do the "big airborn" thing i think...will be a too big change for a third version of the beta. Other things like the radio, briefing comments, etc. i'm definitely going to implement...thanks a lot;)

new version will be posted soon

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jul 2007, 01:31:32 »
lol... sry 4 da typos (not all of em ;) :D)

I would love too, but radio without voices sucks in my opinion...but it's a good idead;)

then record some voices :P

setradiomsg command ;) :D

remove da jump 2 dast from alpha

ya know... da part were alpha jump 2 early... change dat :P

LCD OUT

p.s when ur exams r finished ? :P u owe me 1 ;) :D
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2007, 11:23:43 »
hi mate, tnx again...I downloaded the newer version of Guardian Angel...gonna test it As soon As possible  :D

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2007, 00:26:29 »
Hi Gielovic!

I encountered an error message: "unbable to play the mission because it is based on erased contents: "kind of a sandbag fix" (not the original error message). Please update your addons requirements for the mission.

Cheers

Mathias

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:39:22 »

setradiomsg command 

I don't think you'd need it on this mission, as it's not that large, but (for the future) to reduce the amount of triggers running at any one time, you can create the trigger when it's needed. As in... instead of having 2 triggers, one for an objective (or however you are choosing when to let people call alpha) and one for the radio command the whole time. Add something like this to the objective trigger's OnActiv field, or better, run it from a script called from the OnActiv field:

Code: [Select]
paraDrop = createTrigger ["EmptyDetector", [0,0,0]]; 
paraDrop setTriggerArea [0,0,0,false]; 
paraDrop setTriggerActivation ["ALPHA","PRESENT", false];
paraDrop setTriggerStatements ["this", "[] exec ""paradrop.sqs"";", ""];
paraDrop setTriggerText "Call Alpha";
paraDrop setTriggerType "SWITCH";
showRadio true;

The above makes a trigger at coords [0,0,0] with no size. Set to "Radio alpha", non repeating. It executes "paradrop.sqs" when called from radio 0-0-1, and displays "Call Alpha" on the radio and in the 0-0 list. It then shows the radio on the map screen, in case it wasn't there to begin with. It's nice because the radio command is not available until it's supposed to be called, and you didn't have that trigger's conditions being checked over and over again the whole mission, taking up CPU.

In paradrop.sqs you can add a line like: deleteVehicle paraDrop;  to delete the trigger and make things even nicer.

If you're running everything from the editor, and not really doing any scripting, this gets a little trickier to implement. Something like calling the helo with a synchronized waypoint/trigger combo. This would be a bit different. In the chopper's initialization field, put "OkGO = false". Change the chopper's first WP (or make one real close) "condition" field to be something like "OkGO == true" and the above trigger's statements would be ["this", "OkGO = true", ""];
I still think it's better to have a boolean global varaible (which should not take up much memory at all) than extra triggers.

Like I said, this is no real concern for this mission, and LCD's solution is much easier for you to use here. But in the future, if you make a mission with say 30, 40+ triggers and a whole bunch of units on the map... things can get a bit laggy. I find it's best to get into the habit of having as few triggers as possible running every 0.5 seconds from the get go.

Sorry if I confused you at all! :)
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2007, 03:43:59 by firecontrol »

Offline Gielovic

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2007, 14:07:28 »
hi guys, I'm back from holiday and have to thank you for the tips...
I overlooked the fact that i used the sandbag-fix, but at the moment i don't and have no problem with the mission. I'll take a look though.

I have uploaded a new version...beta3 :D
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007, 14:25:46 by Gielovic »