Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Flipping a hummer (ACCEPTED)  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Flipping a hummer (TESTING)
« Reply #15 on: 03 Aug 2008, 11:41:34 »
Nice to see you've implemented several of my suggestions. Bike effect looks OK and the flips look better. Coming along well, but it isn't quite ready, in my opinion.

1) When you setVectorUp, you assume that the vehicle is travelling North to South. If travelling South to North, they spin the opposite way (not a big issue), but when East/West or another angle, they always flip end over end. You need to take into account the current direction of the vehicle, since setVectorUp is in world-space, not model-space!

2) In the flip left code, you goto "loop" rather than goto "left". This means vehicles will always spin in the same direction.

3) You don't take into account the initial ground angle the vehicle is driving over. If the IED is on a slope, then the vehicle will right itself to being perfectly horizontal, before starting to flip (_deg is initially 10, regardless of initial vectorUp). This isn't critical, since IEDs would probably be on flat ground, but would be nice.

4) The most important thing, for me, is that you are still using vehicle-specific triggers which are fine for cut-scenes, but useless for any mission. I realise you didn't intend this to be used within a mission, but it is such a simple change to make this more generally useful.

5) You set _dfact to 1 for all vehicles, after setting it to 3.4 specifically for a truck. Not sure whether that was intended, since the higher value didn't improve the effect. You might also consider flipping the truck onto its side, rather than right over onto its roof, since it is much heavier. Not sure whether that would look better though; maybe try it out?

6) The demo observer is a bit close to the explosions and it is hard to watch what is happening when you are getting shrapnel in the face ;P
[Arma 2] CBA: Community Base Addons
[Arma 1] SPON Core (including links to my other scripts)

Offline Luke

• Members
  • Thank God! The OFPEC Staff are here!
« Reply #16 on: 03 Aug 2008, 21:01:18 »
Spooner,

1) I agree doesn't matter, they still flip.  :)

2) Need to fix that!

3) Thanx for your keen eye, working.  :good:

4) I told you, I'm working on the physics!  :dry:

5) Thanx for noticing, it was supposed to only flip the truck on its side, but must have gotten out of order, (need to set it before).

6) LOL, K maybe, reduce the strength with a different type of shell.

Working, edit with fixes sometime in the next 8 hours (hopefully!!)

Luke

OK... Its been 10 Hours.

I however, do have the file... :yes:
it's just not at this computer  :no:

Get it to you guys tomorrow

Here it is
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 04:15:27 by hoz »
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
« Reply #17 on: 03 Aug 2008, 23:07:48 »
4) I meant using a general trigger, not managing the absolute position of the IED in respect to the vehicle and all the complexities thereof ;P The full physics thing is not something that is necessary for this to be a useful resource.

6) Or just move the observer 5m further away ;P

Good luck with this!

Offline Luke

• Members
Re: Flipping a hummer (DELAYED)
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2008, 21:41:18 »
Okay,

Here it is,
all done!

Version 1.3 of the hummer_flip

Luke

Edit: Oh, yeah, This IS NOT the physics-intensive version.
I am not gonna even attempt all the physics until school starts. (Then I can ask my teacher to help me!  :D  :P).

« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 04:15:35 by hoz »
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.

Offline Spooner

• Members
  • Mostly useless
    • Community Base Addons
Re: Flipping a hummer (Ready, once again)
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2008, 23:05:58 »
I get an error every time I start a vehicle moving:
Code: [Select]
?! _hmv iskindof "LandVehicle": exit
which should be:
Code: [Select]
?! (_hmv iskindof "LandVehicle"): exit

Overall, fine, but still struggling with the fact that the triggers are all vehicle-specific and not at all helpful to mission-makers that might want to use your script.

Offline Luke

• Members
Re: Flipping a hummer (Ready, once again)
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2008, 23:19:31 »
Overall, fine, but still struggling with the fact that the triggers are all vehicle-specific and not at all helpful to mission-makers that might want to use your script.

I understand, this is simply for example purposes.

Tell you what, Here: I added a second script with a percentage of how much of the time the bomb goes off.

Luke
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 04:15:43 by hoz »
Pesky Human!!
Wort Wort Wort.