Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: airstrike (not laser guided) (ACCEPTED)  (Read 4772 times)

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
airstrike (not laser guided) (ACCEPTED)
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 13:53:15 »
a simple yet effective way to create an airstrike ..  fully editable

will create two harriers in flight with pilots wherever the user requires who will proceed to follow waypoints set by user and drop there bombs on desired location also set by user ..

demo included

drag folder from rar direct to user missions folder .. play in editor ..

not for use on dedicated servers ! ( yet )  ???
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 23:56:28 by Mandoble »
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
Re: airstrike (not laser guided)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2007, 21:21:10 »
tweaked for 1.05  ....

Offline tread

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2007, 03:43:27 »
Shark,

I am as new as you get to trying out scripting for OPF/Arma, and from this one example I learned more in 15 minutes than I have trying to research for hours on various forums.  Thanks!

-Tread

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2007, 12:13:20 »
thanx mate .. glad ive been able to help ...   :)

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2007, 14:15:44 »
I tried this mission a few days ago and it works well, but here are some sugestions :

- Use parameters so we can use the same script for several planes
- Create the pilots in your scriptn but we still need a single group to create the pilots.
- Add a destination logic and deletevehicle the planes & pilots when they reach that point.

;)
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2007, 17:23:51 »
OK mate ill try and sort it ..
youre first point i understand
2nd ... i dont
3rd ... vehicle should delete via script

mate ... feel free to tinker with script .. it can only benefit  us all ...  ;)

eventually we will have a reliable airstrike ...

:good:

Offline tread

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2007, 21:23:19 »
Heya Shark,  quick question:

So I'm basically trying to duplicate your script into another mission.  I have a gamelogic named "server", another gamelogic named "startpoint", the trigger which calls "bombrun.sqs", and a trigger which runs "harrier.sqs" on radioalpha.

From what I can tell, the only differences in my setup are the orientation of the startpoint.  Whats happening is that on radioalpha, the harriers spawn, but pretty much nosedive and crash.  I'm assuming that the pilot's aren't actually getting into the Harriers, and the planes are spawning pilotless and crashing. 

I noticed that in the harrier.sqs, the pilots setdir is 80, and in your example mission the gamelogic named "startpoint" (where the harriers spawn) is set at 54.7158 degrees.  Seemed like a strange direction to start off, and was wondering if I need to tweak the pilots setdir and the gamelogic "startpoint" orientation.

Thanks!

-Tread

Offline tread

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2007, 23:50:20 »
Gettin closer!

So dummy me, I didnt zoom around the map more, and missed a civilian way in the NE corner of the map, named 'red'.  Now the harriers spawn and do not crash.  I also changed the harrier.sqs so that the soldiers (pilots) setdir is 210, which is the direction I want them to fly to execute the bomb run.  However, it looks like right when they spawn, they are *pointing* the desired 210 heading, but *flying* north- So they end up sliding from the 210 heading to their flight direction right when they spawn. 

So, my big question is- what exclty, in all the triggers, units, and scripts, determines the *flying* direction of the harriers?

Thanks everyone for their help.

-Tread

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2007, 08:16:13 »
Tread, no double posting please.  :dry:

Edit the previous post if you have something to add instead of 'talking to yourself'..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2007, 18:41:13 »
the setdir ... and the group what the harriers spawn into s waypoint .... should be enough to guide the harrier...
try turning the red waypoint to face the direction you are aiming for .. seems to do the trick

*nb
trial and error to get correct positioning.. it took more than a few attempts for me to get planes anywhere near the correct flightpath .. play with start point position ..
 tip ..
try setting bombing raid up first .. a whole lot easier without a map full of other stuff ..

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2007, 19:19:15 by shark attack »

Offline tread

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:34:30 »
Thanks for the reply Shark, I will definitely fiddle with it more.

And apologies for the double post. Will edit next time.

-Tread

UPDATE- Shark- from what i can tell, when the harriers spawn, their direction of movement is due north, but the plane itself is oriented in the direction of the setdir for the pilots.  In your sample mission, I spawned a RHIB right under the startpoint to take a look, and they do indeed exhibit this same behavior.  The difference is that your direction of 'red' was around 43 degrees, so the planes only had to adjust from 000 to 045, therefore making only a somewhat small turn to the desired heading.  In my mission, 'red' was set at 210, so the planes spawning flying due north had to then had to make a hard turn to the left to come around to the desired 210.  So where the fiddling comes in, is to set the startpoint with enough offset and distance to give the planes enough room to correct from their flying direction to the desired heading. But of course any adjustments you make you have to test, taking into account the room they need to get to the desired direction, and more importantly the course they are now coming from while they made their wide turn before they are finally pointing to the group 'red' heading. 

I'm having way too much fun with the editor!  Another year or so and maybe I'll be able to craft some scripts of my own.   :)  Thanks again for the help!

-Tread
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2007, 10:30:32 by tread »