Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Perpetua  (Read 20973 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [CAMP] Perpetua
« Reply #45 on: 01 Mar 2007, 23:02:18 »
Mission: Dead end

• I suggest NVG as default layout, because the mission starts in the night
  • This: Or if you clear the outpost, skip this counter
  • Probably stuck somewhere, didn't find them when running towards the base on the road, maybe returned to the base, maybe damaged somewhere (tree / roadsign)
  • Well, I had to fight them, they stopped and were still pretty close. But I let them pass first to be very close to the truck, better for my burst ;)

Mission: Niceest
  • Are you going to change the intro or is the intro I saw final?
  • Do you know by the way, that the correct English is "Nicest" ?
  • Good, I want to kill that CIA guy. No.. no I have something far worse for him in my mind (drop him behind enemy lines with a pistol?)
  • Hmmm, thought that HE was far more lethal to infantry. At least that's my experience.
  • Probably an SLA GL soldier. Killed one in the retry, he was on a hill to my left. Couldn't spot him, well maybe his head but that's it.
  • The reinforcements might have been the squad attacking with me. Is there a radio mesage telling me that they are near me?
  • Don't try to do something to fix the hospital thing with SLA soldiers.
  • I thought that the briefing stated that, you might want to take a look at it.
  • Well, nothing wrong with the artillery in my opinion. Accurate enough for me, was pretty hard though in veteran mode, pinpointing my position and the enemy position, but that's what makes it good.
  • Hmm, haven't seen the artillery support. Might be that they were about to switch to less dense fire. Did request close to 30 times.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #46 on: 02 Mar 2007, 09:21:57 »
@Mathias

It could be that the accuracy of the enemy guns is a misconception of mine.
I made a contact with Mr Murray (autor of this arty script). And I will modify the enemy's accuracy. And he will work on your idea (distance 50m).

Well me too feel that misconception and I want rework it, because the enemy is regular or green, but we are the "most beutyful soldiers..." so veteran. And we can call a better the support; they are in panic and give wrong coordinates... I want simulate it. (If I can)

are you sure that it is an ArmA bug?
No. I'm not sure. But I didn't use any script on player's squad.
I usual use the hold fire command and I never saw that bug, so I don't think so this is an ArmA bug. But I don't know what. :(
Are you sure there is no other RACS squad mixed with your squad?

The ammo boxes
OK. Now I understand. I'll check it...

IMO, the mission should end when all the cannons can't fire anymore (gunners are dead)
It's a good idea. But I'm affraid the player fight through the slope and want FINISH this mission as a man :) And the mission ends very soon.
Eg: there is a few SLA soldiers hide in the bushes and everywhere. You can silent the gun and these are alive and mission ends... Now - when you must destroy the guns - you must eliminate the hiding SLA troops.

I'll thinking on it!

@Cheetah

Thanks for the advice to Dead end...

Are you going to change the intro or is the intro I saw final?
In v0.47 there is the final. But I think you played with an earlier... I remember I upload a version with a very short and not completed intro.
Now you must see this: dead SLA soldiers and twho allied officers speak about him, then the airport: lot of chopper come and go... US soldiers unboard from BlackHawks and board to Srrykers and trucks...

Do you know by the way, that the correct English is "Nicest" ?
Yes. I changed it too in v0.47... :) But thanks...

Good, I want to kill that CIA guy. No.. no I have something far worse for him in my mind
Spoiler... :D You will.

The reinforcements might have been the squad attacking with me. Is there a radio mesage telling me that they are near me?
There are two other squad who follow you on flanks. They moving under the whole advance. And when you reach half of the slope, there is a trigger (with radio chat) and a new squad start to follow you, but from the base (far). And they need time to close up.
(I don't remember any radiochat about "they are near". But I will check it.

Don't try to do something to fix the hospital thing with SLA soldiers.
OK. I love to see them, when I call arty and they wounded and start going to hospital... ;)

Fix bayonet!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: 02 Mar 2007, 14:09:59 »
Hi Bardosy!

I am completely sure that my squad was not mixed up with any other RACS squad. Forgot to mention that I never called Delta squad for they would suffer the same "artillery fate" as my own squad, and I wanted to conserve precious RACS manpower  :D.

I understand that you consider ending the mission with some enemy men running around as only half-done. But I think you are asking for the "hunt the last loon" problem when you make the player hunt for everyone of them.
How about an ending with the arrival of another squad that relieves the player? He might want to rest and fight another day after this exhausting climb and fight?  ;)

Cheers

Mathias

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: 03 Mar 2007, 12:07:30 »
An interjection concerning my frustration about ArmA. :dunno:

I've stopped playing the game in the meantime and finished the mission Ghosts when Patch 1.05 was out. Perpetua was still the old version from the time before.

I wasn't sure if it's about the new annoying grass or your enemy placement. It started in the harbor (Gyros) and got worse in the enemy base (Ghosts). Everywhere "snipers" are hidden stationary, turning the whole missions into trial and error shooting ranges without tactic gameplay.
BAS featured this in many of their missions and I think it can be overdone. Of course, it's realistic for defenders to hide and not to run around but it played bad in OFP and even more in ArmA grass, just frustrating because no fluid gameplay kicks in. If it's not the player getting shot around every corner, it's his squad lying around dead in the end.
Also such missions are missing replay value, because of the fixed positions.

Notwithstanding the hiding spots you selected in Ghosts are all nicely chosen.
I just want to remeber you that equal and fluid gameplay in ArmA only exists if the AIs on both sides run around like headless chickens. So please don't make all the missions so... realistic deadly?  :P
Sure, you have to check every corner in a village to survive, but does all this create realistic situations in OFP, ...ArmA?
The enemies always hits me with the first shot, and the damn avatar moves like a robot so I won't find cover in time.
You can't shoot around the corner for suppressing fire once they've spotted you because you'll die. And what for? You can't shoot while controlling an AI to flank the enemy at the same time. Well, still they don't even care about suppressing fire.

Oh, and I'm sorry. Was I supposed to retrieve something important from the base in mission Ghosts? I hope so, because if not this fucking artillery should've done my job.  ;)

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #49 on: 05 Mar 2007, 09:18:53 »
To all:
There is a new version (v0.5) can download from the forst post.
This is an almost final version with the new (and last one) mission: Long Knife.
I will make a campaign intro/outro and improve the exists missions, but the structure is done.

@Mathias

Not only the Delta team follow you. Two other RACS squad (Bravo, Charlie) follow you on the flanks automatically. But I believe you... :) I found an other "interesting" bug in the new (Long Knife) mission. My teammates follow you in the village and onec they start "where are you". They stucked. I thought they stucked in a fence or house... and I got back and I saw a very interesting: they are stand in the middle of nothing and stucked. There was no any fence or other object, but they couldn't move. (I you test this mission too, use delta formation (or any other close formation) in the village to avoid this problem)

I checked Nicest at the weekend I found nothing about "hold fire"-bug... :(
But I found an interesting info: The enemy's arty (D30) have a little more powerful shell (60 damage point), like our arty (50 damage point). And RACS have no real own gun, so I will replace our gun to D30 and then we will have equal chance.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2007, 14:27:31 by bardosy »
Fix bayonet!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #50 on: 05 Mar 2007, 15:32:49 »

@Trapper

Your opinion is very interesting. Thanks for it! My campaign have a hungarian beta tester who is military person (captain) and he always send me brute detailed tactics report after all missions (I didn't understand everything :) ) And I thought he enjoy the tactics. The truth is: he also hate the grass.
From my side: eg. in Gyros. In the town the patrols are moveing, and when you start shooting a few reinforcement come from the base (they wasn't static too). But the rest of them hide and prepare for defend the base (yes, they are static). (By the way I soften up the defend of the town and made a harder defend of base by advice of my captain)

In Ghosts in Ixel they are static for defence. That's true. I really loved place them to good places, but when I test this mission I haven't big problem with eliminate them. And the other tester also said "good enemy placements". This hungarian captain adviced me only a sniper replace from a garden to a roof.
What is your real suggestion: can I leave a few enemy in static place (windows, roopfs, over a barricade...) BUT a few of them will be mobile force: they will running up and down in the village or make a counter-attack against you?

Was I supposed to retrieve something important from the base in mission Ghosts?

Errr... sorry! :) No. You must kill a VIP and capture Ixel. Later Ixel and Masbete will be your HQ...

Fix bayonet!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: 05 Mar 2007, 16:20:02 »
Hi Bardosy!

About the "hold fire" bug: It is an ArmA bug and it has survived Patch 1.05  >:(
I've noticed it in a mission I am constructing myself. But it is rather infrequent. Sometimes it is present, sometimes not.

Greetings

Mathias

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: 05 Mar 2007, 19:19:47 »
It's alright if there are not more "static" missions. The places are good and realistic indeed but it isn't much fun.
Did the captain use his squad in this mission or was it redundant to him? I would have to practice more if it's really possible to hunt such static enemys with them together. I always can't resist to use a team present in missions and frustrate myself endlessly when they're a millstone around my neck for the given task.

Stop for a Minute
A good mission.

Is it right that an almost defeated enemy triggers the artillery?
You can add a more realistic life of it's own to a mission world, if such an event is based on time only.
5mins after objective begin artillery strikes -> enemy always retreats at 60% casualties, no matter the cause -> artillery is cancelled if this happens before.

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #53 on: 06 Mar 2007, 07:52:48 »
@Trapper

You will hate the last mission (Long Knife) :D
My captain use his teammates to break down the defend from a hill. You have not cleat the village!!! You must only capture the HQ, kill the office and destroy the radio tower... But if you arrive to the village from a wrong direction, you must fight through the village and fight with static positioned enemy.

Stop for a minute
I guess you loved it: there is no static enemy ;) But now they attack.
Artillery: it is triggered by time. There is a script, it made enemy squads in every 30(?) seconds. And after the 8th (or 10th) squad, script ends and wait a minute and then call the arty script. I want simulate: they have more soldiers, but the arty decided the fight and they stop attacking (and they will try an other attack in Ixel).

@Mathias
Thanks God! Ops, it's not good... I'm mean it's bad news, this is an ArmA bug, but it's good to not my bug. ;)
Fix bayonet!

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: 06 Mar 2007, 20:34:52 »
v0.5, Capriccio (I hope replacing campaign pbo continuing/reverting the last mission has no influence)

The hole is supposed to be only in the outer fence line?

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #55 on: 07 Mar 2007, 08:04:30 »
@Trapper

If I know correcly, if you start a mission (in a campaign) and didn't finish it, when you replace the campaign pbo, then you will continue the mission (in the older version) but the next mission will be the new one.

(If CIA guy didn't correct the wrong-english "beer factory" to "brewery", you played the old one) ;)

Hole: Yes! there is only one hole in the outer fence. But you can choose between two direction to the inner part of the camp with this single hole.
Fix bayonet!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #56 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:49:27 »
Dear Trapper...

...you gave me a hard night. :) I thought about your "static(realistic) - dynamic(playable/fun)" paradox...

I think this is bigger, but general script... I want make it and use in the first Battle for Ixel (and later in Long Knife).

What's the concept? (please help)

1., There are a few static soldier (commander in a bunker, sniper on the roof)
2., Rest of enemy troops (riflemen, mg gunners...) will move under the attack.
3., Moveing/dynamic soldiers are individials (not in group), but they share information about us (about their enemy). (knownAbout/reveal)
4., The script know a lot of good defending position (markers in the field, and buildings' positions)
5., When script run, in randomly period pick up a random soldier and move it to a new position.

Fix bayonet!

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #57 on: 07 Mar 2007, 21:19:38 »
I think it would make the mission even more difficult than before, though more realistic. Like ECP AI improvements did it to OFP missions.
The player will be busy with the few totally static enemies, while moving enemies are trying to dig him out deadly effective caused by the information sharing. The only weakness would be the elusive, random and less effective position changes of the temporary statics. They could run for a worse position in the wrong moment. ("pick up a random soldier and move it to a new position" - They'll have to domove, right? No setpos, which would give them another advantage?)

Easy:
Some groups with HOLD Waypoint in Ixel
Medium:
Like it's now.
Hard:
With the additional scripting.

Then I would prefer to struggle through the medium version.
Last time I took the hard way, following the road through Ixel, walking into every static enemy. It must have been the disturbing grass on the hills... when you told me about the Captain's strategy, I remembered using his strategy often in Resistance.

BTW, are you still looking for "satellite" pictures in the Cappricio intro?
-white 0.5sec
-create cam, first pic/position
-whiteIn 0.5sec
-show pic
-white 0.5sec
-destroy old cam
-create new cam at second position
-whiteIn 0.5sec
-show pic

Or just camcommit camera 0.5secs from position to position, together with whiteIn 1sec?

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #58 on: 08 Mar 2007, 08:21:27 »
@Trapper

SAT photos:
It's a good idea to satellite photos! But not a satellite movie or an online satellite connection... (The units in the camp are moveing). I want move the camera horizontally, but I want force it to target directly to the ground (90 degree). But I couldn't do it.

Advanced defend:
Am I understand you correctly? Now you suggest me to leave the mission structure (with well-placed, static defenders) like it's now?
If this is your opinion, I agree with you, but now I want make experiment with this idea (dynamic defend). Meybe it will be failed (defender run from a better position to a worst one), but now I'm really interested it. (And it's a challange...) But now it's offtopic, so I'm open an own topic in Editing/Scripting area.

But please, if I disunderstand you, let me know!
Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #59 on: 08 Mar 2007, 17:00:20 »
Outro

Spelling errors in the outro text. Camera is nice. Don't know what "semper fi" is, it's a line displayed towards the end.

Long Knife

Intro
Fine, but weird that instead of taking the APC the communist leader takes the jeep ;). Thought that I saw soldiers with backpacks in the jeep, looked like American ones, probably SLA and US ones are very similar.

Briefing
With the improved 1st person view in 1.05 this will be an even more interesting mission than it would be pre-1.05. It's the first time that I take a look at the gear selection, weapon: SAW.
#2 a LAW + G36. The other teammates get default gear.

Mission
Mission intro is a bit dark but I can see enough of what's going on, it's the insertion. Don't like the length, for me the camera moved too slow when it moved towards the summit.

Nice chatter going on, improves the atmosphere, but as always would voice overs be really good. Few typos though, like informations instead of just information. Anyway, orders: vee, don't fire. We move close towards the village and I move my men into proper firing positions. Four regular squads seems like a huge opposing force. We are prone in a line watch the village, with a few men watching the flanks. With me men into position I move towards the rocks / haystack don't know at the moment and order to open fire.

The enemy squads there out in the open didn't have a chance against my whole squad firing at once. I moved into position and helped me squad when a few more soldiers ran to defend the western edge of town. Four men are ordered towards the town, five wait at the previous position. Deeper into town I meet with a few more enemies and they are disposed off.

Some special ops are moving into action, suspicious :). Anyway, I move the rest of my squad towards the shed with the MG in front of it and prepare the other side of town for my squad taking out two more enemies. In the process I've lost a total of one soldier so far, which is a pretty good rate of KIA/kills. Some well positioned enemies in the barn with the cows ;).

I move my whole squad in from the right while I go left. We slowly make our way towards the hotel and other houses, taking no casualties but using up a lot of ammo of the SAW trying to supress the enemy soldiers. In the hotel I noticed enemy soldiers, a lot so I guessed that there was something there. Gunview on and let's take 'em on. After clearing them all I get a nice conversatino by radio and with the captured officer. Nice plot, but thought that something like this would happen. Oh, the conversation with the officer should kick ina bit later, right now I can't read it as it's on the background of the radio chatter.

Before the chopper can land I shoot the pilots so it crashes about 5m, no explosion they all get out but are an easy prey for my SAW. Only 20 bullets left after killing all of them though.

Damn, shouldn't have shot all the tires of possible escape vehicles, damn. Find a truck at the western side and move out. #3,9 didn't want to get in, ah well left them behind and moved on. So did the poet die there?

Debriefing
Regular problem, objectives not ticked off. Don't know what's causing that.

Outro
Some typos. Good music, text and camerawork. Nice end of the campaign, well done.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!