Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Off-topic area?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
Off-topic area?
« on: 04 Sep 2006, 23:09:12 »
Hi

This may have been discused before, but you might have a change of mind now...

How about an off-topic area where we can discuss stuff not related to OFP (Or just not related to OFP editing). It could be used to get to know each other, talk about clans etc.

I wouldnt be disapointed if you said no.. but would just want you to consider it.  :)

Thanks for reading  :D

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re: Off-topic area?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2006, 23:16:58 »
It's been debated (and tried) before. However, the result wasn't what anyone expected. Ofpec is known for it's adult behaviour and polite conversations. I don't want to go into details, but these boards didn't quite live up to that standard. We decided to remove them. This was before my time but one reason, I was told, was that the ban list became too long from all the flame wars. We're an editing site and will remain an editing site. There are other sites where you can discus just about anything with other Flashpointers. Try BIS's Forum for example.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2006, 23:19:14 »
OK I understand.

Thanks for your reply :good:

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2006, 01:20:42 »
nominesine is spot on.     In fact somebody wrote a sticky about this I think, because it has come up once or twice.    The off topic boards were in my time - I am very old - and they weren't worth the trouble.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 05 Sep 2006, 05:19:57 »
You mean the Sticky that's right above this post, macguba...  :D
Yeah, the off-topic areas were a pain in the proverbial alright. We banned more people while they were running than had been banned in the entire history of OFPEC, from memory. 
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2006, 19:47:52 by Planck »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 04 Oct 2006, 19:04:09 »
Arf. :D I remember when we tried it.
What was it called again? Something to do with Tactics and Politics in the title.

Bloody good idea, to have an educated Forum where people could discuss world events, political issues and military news, past or present.
I started off nice enough, with some very in-depth chat on what was going on in the world today,
then someone made a comment about someone elses nationality, then they retaliated, and before you knew it, even Kim Jong Il would have been proud of the speed with which it grew to nuclear war.
So the ban list started in earnest, and then people whom before had seemed reasonable, suddenly turned into xenophobic monsters.
It was a nightmare. :D
:banghead:

Suffice, no more. Does anyone remember its damn name? POL something? Politics and... Damn.

Having said that, it could've been worse. I'll never forget that thread on OFP.info that had a massive picture of a mans thingy-end with man juice dribbling out of it.
That was the lowest of the low, and is precisely why people come here for quality and profesionalism.

The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #6 on: 04 Oct 2006, 21:22:53 »
PolWar. Politics and Warfare  :D

A quote from Sefe when the thing was scrapped:
After some discussion in the staff we have made the decision to phase out the POLWAR board.

We have come to the conclusion that OFPEC should be strictly focussed on OFP editing. A an off topic board like POLWAR does not comply with this goal. It always was our policy to keep a limited focus of the site. We concentrate on OFP editing only which has made us the best OFP editing resource available, simply because we could direct all our energy to that limited subject. We always rejected a gameplay-related OFP board because it would distract from our focus. If we don't allow OFP gameplay questions, what justification we have for an off-topic board?

From now on, all new threads started in POLWAR will get locked, but we will allow to continue the current discussions. We will later lock all discussions and finally remove POLWAR from the OFPEC.

Not all is lost.