Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A few question about OFP:E  (Read 7705 times)

A few question about OFP:E
« on: 14 Sep 2006, 23:03:07 »
Hi all, it's me again, Guido89.
I've made a  mission from the PC and just converted it into xbox format.
I played it (but never finished cause it's soo hard  :D) and I found that there are some tedious problems.
I made a start from a boat that must land near beach and make main player disembark automatically...
Well... In the xbox, the boat walks along a different path from the one shown by the pc and does not make the player to disembark automatically as I wanted, therefore I need every time to eject my self out from the boat and walk a bit in the sea.
Another problem, the most tedious (because of it I cannot finish my mission), deals with saving task.
I've put through certain points of my mission some "savegame" script.
When I die, I push the "retry" button and sometimes it doesn't load the game and make the game crashes and needs to be rebooted.
The same thing happens with the "save"/"load" buttons...
And after I reboot my xbox, savegame is deleted and I need to start my mission again from the beginning...
How to fix this noise problem of saving?

Other questions I'd like to ask are:
- Is there a way to correct the Italian translation (because it is really really really bad and makes me cry every time I read  :confused:)?
- Is there a way to play "Red Hammer" campaign? I'm sure there is because in the loading screen (the copyright one) appears "Red Hammer is a trademark of Bohemia" and stuff like that... Why it should be put if it is not implemented?
- Are there some website where I can get the new music of OFP:E (like the one in the main menu or in the "multiplayer video")?
Thanks for reading...

Guido
? (this == thinkable) : this = scriptable

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: A few question about OFP:E
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2006, 00:50:18 »
Hi all, it's me again, Guido89.
I've made a  mission from the PC and just converted it into xbox format.
I played it (but never finished cause it's soo hard  :D) and I found that there are some tedious problems.
I made a start from a boat that must land near beach and make main player disembark automatically...
Well... In the xbox, the boat walks along a different path from the one shown by the pc and does not make the player to disembark automatically as I wanted, therefore I need every time to eject my self out from the boat and walk a bit in the sea.

I have this problem as well with a boatlanding I just avoided it myself by starting on the shore.

Another problem, the most tedious (because of it I cannot finish my mission), deals with saving task.
I've put through certain points of my mission some "savegame" script.
When I die, I push the "retry" button and sometimes it doesn't load the game and make the game crashes and needs to be rebooted.
The same thing happens with the "save"/"load" buttons...
And after I reboot my xbox, savegame is deleted and I need to start my mission again from the beginning...
How to fix this noise problem of saving?

For this you may need to do alittle research and look through the BI campaign missions and see how BI did it.  I had this same issue with a SP mission I converted, I just ended up getting rid of the saves. It could also be caused by some issue with the way the template is tricked into using the template in the save folder.

Other questions I'd like to ask are:
- Is there a way to correct the Italian translation (because it is really really really bad and makes me cry every time I read  :confused:)?

You can do this by editing the stringtable.cvs file.

- Is there a way to play "Red Hammer" campaign? I'm sure there is because in the loading screen (the copyright one) appears "Red Hammer is a trademark of Bohemia" and stuff like that... Why it should be put if it is not implemented?

Its actually a campaign by Codemasters and most will tell you not a very good one. It could be converted but I think it would be alot of work to do so.  I don't play any SP missions or campaigns so I really can't help you with this.

- Are there some website where I can get the new music of OFP:E (like the one in the main menu or in the "multiplayer video")?

You could copy the sounds.pbo over to your pc and then uncompress, and then use the ogg codec or player to listen to the music.

Hoz
Xbox Rocks

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2006, 11:51:05 »
Hi Hoz  :wave:
I just though about an editing of the stringtable.cvs file and a copying of the sounds.pbo (or maybe music.pbo as in the pc version?) over to my pc but I don't know how to extract both of the files from the OFP:E dvd (my pc dvd-reader reads it as a movie dvd)... And eventually re-transfer 'em on xbox... I know I'm noising you :confused: but... It comes obvious to ask: how can I perform these operations? Many thanks for your patience and for your understanding...

Guido

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2006, 12:10:51 »
Hi Guido

Transferring the Red Hammer campaign over to the xbox is possible - if you have an xbox with a mod-chip just ftp the campaign into the campaign folder. I did it not so long ago but its really buggy with some missions impossible to play. Otherwise I can't help.

Porting OFP:E's music and sounds to the pc has already been done. Give me a minute and I'll get you the download link.

Ok this link takes you to a page on the BI forum then select the ofp.info mirror (just tested it and that is one thats still working)
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=114ebeb07b1b588ddd85c0e4011ba303;act=ST;f=4;t=52126

I think this is what you were after
Hope this helps
Denz
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2006, 12:27:25 by Denz »
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2006, 13:31:33 »
Hi Denz  :wave:
Thanks for your suggestions and for linking me exactly where I want to be linked to  :D
Unfortunately there is a missing music inside the .pbo file but it doesn't matter because I found the other ones  :)

Guido

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2006, 13:35:52 »
Thanks to Hoz and Denz I solved some problems but there is still one not solved yet: how to edit the stringtable.csv of OPF:E and make it works on the xbox? Helps are, of course, appreciated but even some simple suggestions are appreciated too.
Thanks in advance.

Guido

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2006, 14:20:55 »
Thanks to Hoz and Denz I solved some problems but there is still one not solved yet: how to edit the stringtable.csv of OPF:E and make it works on the xbox? Helps are, of course, appreciated but even some simple suggestions are appreciated too.
Thanks in advance.

You have to be running your copy of OFP off the harddrive of the xbox. In this case your xbox needs to be modded. IF you are modded then what you need to do is put the dvd into the drive and then essentially ftp the files off to your pc and then back to the xbox hd. This is how I did it. Someone else might have a better solution. IF you don't have a modded xbox then your out of luck and will have to just edit the stringtable from missions.  :D

Hoz
Xbox Rocks

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2006, 17:11:58 »
Unfortunately I don't own a modded xbox...

Guido

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2006, 17:29:00 »
Unfortunately I cannot help you either mate.
I have had some success editing game files including the data.pbo (with new fire and smoke effects) and am looking into the animation (to fix user made addons) in the o.pbo, but this is only possible because I've got a modchip (not that modding your xbox is all its cracked up to be) I know no other way to be able do what you want to do.

Should you manage to properly convert the Red Hammer campaign I would love a copy though.

Sorry I couldn't help
Denz
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2006, 18:11:08 by Denz »
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Bless

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2006, 07:06:24 »
Hi Guido

Transferring the Red Hammer campaign over to the xbox is possible - if you have an xbox with a mod-chip just ftp the campaign into the campaign folder. I did it not so long ago but its really buggy with some missions impossible to play. Otherwise I can't help.

Bless Has Arrive !!!
I can help
After understood porting mission to xbox manually without the BISOFP on the addons, i founded how to edit the Red Hammer campaign to play since the 1st missions. later i will post it on flashpoint1985 forum.

Bless The Machine

Did you notice if you delete the cache.text from your OFP game it will load more fast? Thanks to rocky5 

advantage
1. Game load more fast
2. no cache on the xbox (what this means)
  a. edit texture to data.pbo ( and xbox dont crash) so you can modify the texture skins for example
editing the uniform of the soldier using photoshop.
If you have the cache.txt on your xbox and you extract data.pbo then depbo again the xbox will crash so simple due to xbox will create a cache on the X folder with the original addons and if he notice a new addons  then the game will crash. until now i dint experience any error, but need to do more test.

I Gonna try porting addons straight to data3d.pbo (p3d files)

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2006, 14:33:31 »
Now that is interesting!!!

Would it be possible to duplicate say the infantry pbo's edit the uniform (maybe skin colour) and have them as extra options in the mission editor? I know they would still have to come under East, West or Resistance but by editing the config could we create additional troops for other countries?
Looks like Photoshop is my next purchase.
Denz

.................................................................................................. .................................
Is the data3d.pbo the holy grail for getting addons to work properly on the xbox?
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2006, 14:42:32 »
Now that is interesting!!!

Would it be possible to duplicate say the infantry pbo's edit the uniform (maybe skin colour) and have them as extra options in the mission editor? I know they would still have to come under East, West or Resistance but by editing the config could we create additional troops for other countries?
Looks like Photoshop is my next purchase.

Is the data3d.pbo the holy grail for getting addons to work properly on the xbox?

You can change the look of the textures by just replacing the textures them selves. You can't make them choosable as your describing in the editor without creating a whole new addon. I'm guessing here. For this type of info hit the Addon forums.  If you check out some of the addons and updates for offical BI stuff like Keygetys winter stuff, you can see a good example of how to do it.

Did you build any missions yet?

Hoz

Xbox Rocks

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2006, 15:12:10 »
Thanks for the tips Hoz.
I have found the best way to learn is to pull apart other people's creations and check out the gubbins inside.
I've not looked into infantry before as porting them to the xbox isn't really possible. But this sounds like a way to have different countries represented.
What I want to do is copy the basic structure of an OFP:E soldier and change the uniform textures and edit the config so that it becomes seperate from the original BIS soldier.
For example under West > Infantry you would have the original US soldier still but also his "clone" wearing a British uniform or whatever
That sounds possible or at least plausible.

As for the missions, yes have got some but my xbox is experiencing some serious problems at the moment which I think is caused by some addon files disagreeing with each other so I need to get to the bottom of that first before I transfer anything off my hard drive to someone else's.
Denz

24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2006, 15:37:57 »
I have found the best way to learn is to pull apart other people's creations and check out the gubbins inside.

Many people will tell you this is how they also got started.

I've not looked into infantry before as porting them to the xbox isn't really possible. But this sounds like a way to have different countries represented.
What I want to do is copy the basic structure of an OFP:E soldier and change the uniform textures and edit the config so that it becomes seperate from the original BIS soldier.
For example under West > Infantry you would have the original US soldier still but also his "clone" wearing a British uniform or whatever
That sounds possible or at least plausible.

I'm no addon expert, but I beleive the OFP Tag system is designed to prevent conflicts of addons which you might be causing by this method. Don't quote me though, head over to the addon forum and see what they say. :)

As for the missions, yes have got some but my xbox is experiencing some serious problems at the moment which I think is caused by some addon files disagreeing with each other so I need to get to the bottom of that first before I transfer anything off my hard drive to someone else's.

There is a RPT file located on the xbox after it crashes. You might want to check this out it can sometimes point you to what is failing.

Hoz
Xbox Rocks

Offline Denz

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2006, 16:31:31 »
Thanks again Hoz!
I didn't know about the RPT file.

Started to look into what I wrote above and it would seem you are right. The only possibility (for the moment at least) would be to have different data.pbo for different versions, but thats hardly practical.
Still, it all comes down to experimentation. No other game ever inspired me to learn all the processes like OFP has.
Thanks for the help
Denz
24/09/41 - 24/04/69