Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Suicide bomber?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Doolittle

• Contributing Member
  • _this select 0
Suicide bomber?
« on: 21 Oct 2002, 18:47:28 »
Just wondering, in today's political climate, is it appropriate to have such scripts as SUICIDE BOMBER and CAR BOMB?  The thought just occurred to me.  I know it is just a game, but what are we fantasizing about here?  Thoughts?

You can see there IS a problem because noone claimed they were the author of those two scripts.  Hmmm, strange.

Doolittle
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2002, 18:50:15 by Doolittle »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Suicide bomber?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2002, 20:22:07 »
As far as I can see the author of those two scripts was a person whose OFPEC username is "Someone" ... confusing I know, but it appears to be an ordinary username like "macguba" or "Doolittle".     You can send him/her an IM if you like, or look at their posts in the Forum.

Speaking purely personally, I am strongly in favour of scripts such as these.   If you're going to have a game which deals with killing "people" then I think the technicalities of how it happens - car bomb, shot in the back, sniped from a distance - are immaterial.   The more variety the better as far I'm concerned.

However, one of the virtues of this wonderful game is that it can make you think about things like this.

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2002, 23:12:18 »
Scripts such as this only add more realism to the game which is known to be a war simulation.

So my opinion/advice is that if you don't like killing or war in general, don't play this game. If you don't like car bombs or suchs, don't use the script.

If I was a loving father, or if I had experienced something that involves a car bomb or a suicide bomber, propably I would shout out for banning these scripts.

Then again if I had been to a war and experienced the horror of it I would propably try to bann the whole game.

Now I just think of it as a fun way to spend time and relax.
Not all is lost.

Offline Archangel Scream

• Former Staff
  • OFPEC Former Staff: Audio editing & mission review
    • Britecorp
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2002, 23:19:00 »

If I was a loving father...propably I would shout out for banning these scripts.

Not so - so far as I lack those terrible experiences.

"Siberian Fox" is a fave OFPEC mission that at least alludes to car bombs and suicide bombers in the intro - all to a funky 007 beat. Never found that offensive.

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2002, 23:20:57 »
OFP is a game, and a game which is based on reality, but is not real.

Thus, anything really is acceptable, because that old addage of:

"Just because my son watches the A-Team, doesn't mean he's going to get an AK-47 and spray bullets wildly into the room, failing to hit his target whom is only 4ft away."

Or in other words, it doesn't affect how someone relates to real life, they aren't going to do it, or shouldn't.

I see no problems with this, and to be honest, in todays society, there are far greater things to show concern about, than a game having Suicide Bombers in it.

Although I do understand your concern.

Thanks.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.