Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: need a search light  (Read 1296 times)

1hHoplite

need a search light
« on: 14 Jun 2006, 21:18:50 »
Hey guys - anyone feel up to making as earch light. I already tried the MTH one and it worked great - up until for some unexpected and totally random reason - it would consistantly CTD, whenever I used the ai script. So that's out.

So anyone have a handy searchlight or is willing to make one?

Offline remcen

• Contributing Member
  • a.k.a. hottentotten_mike
    • IM:UC
Re: need a search light
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2006, 15:37:08 »
i have one or two unfinished searchlights on my HD. problem is they don't work properly.

as i have an idea please allow me to hijack your thread.... :D  all i need is a good config writer willing to help me out a little.
the basic idea: make the search light a subclass of the standard laser designator weapon and the laser dot a subclass of the standard laser dot. instead of mapping it red we map it with a transparent texture.  then you detect the laser dot which is an separate object with a config  entry via a script and setpos a light object at its place.  (light objects are quite easy to config -- even for me ;D )

by making it a weapon all AI scripting issues are obsolete.

two basic problems to be overcome: 1. laser designators only work as secondary weapons and as armament of helis. (i've tried everything else - result: ofp crashes.) hence the only way to make a laser-designator-searchlight is to make it a static immobile heli. quite simple, but not simple enough for my configing skills.
2. the laser designator can't be detected with a fired eventhandler. therefore the script that setposes the light object must be permanently looped and register all of our custom laser dots on the map... again a little too much for my scripting skills.
(however... model and textures are at like 85% ;) )
we're looking for members: IM:UC MOD