Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Forest  (Read 12707 times)

MyShortcoming

Re: The Forest
« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2006, 13:26:15 »
Ok all i can say is WOW!

That mission was some creepy stuff but very very very immersive, Played on Veteran mode and i must shake your hand the effects sound and thoughts merged create a great atmosphere, and that girl is a b**ch for making me run that far ;).

I cant see any flaws with it, i was stupid enough to shoot one of the spirits and  .... well lets just say the grunt one is gonna end up the same place as the Woodcutters.

The highlight for me had to be on the way back the people that comment on "Its a cold night hey buddy" ... i was thinking "HOLY F*CK" after (you know what) happened.

Outro was awesome and cant wait for the campaign (but i might endmission this one i wanna be able to sleep ;) )

Ace mission, looking forward to more of you stuff   ;D

-Shorty

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jul 2006, 19:27:35 »
Thanks for your comments Shorty  :)

Yes, shooting against peaceful and unarmed spirits was not a wise decision  :P

Here is the WGL 5.0 version of "The Forest":
The Forest for WGL 5.0

Enjoy  8)

WGL 5.0 MOD download

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jul 2006, 20:35:47 »
HI

i am really confused. I am trying to find the girl! where the f**k is she? Some help on this please. I have found the man who tells me to find her and i have found the healing fountain. Now what? I have walked around for ages. I have traced the border about 10 times!

So far, this mission is great. Effects get top marks; good job. Just, WTF do i do now! Where is this lil' b*tch?

-supershooter

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:02:07 »
The girl is just moving by the Northern forest, dont try to look for her before speaking with her father's ghost.

Best you can do is to return to your guard post (it is near the center of the Northern forest), then wait till you hear her cries, moans and screams. By the sound you will be able to pursue her, once you are close enough she will be surrounded by a glowing redish light, so the final aproach will be quite easy. But keep in mind that she keeps walking and running, she is not just stopped waiting for you. Her cries and moans are the key to locate her.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:03:01 »
follow the sound of the woman crying. and check your IMs.

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #35 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:13:52 »
HI

LOL. Am I stupid? I follow the cries about 3 times just to check I aint mad. Nope, they are definetley coming from a confined area. The sound of the cries is coming form behind a solid barrier of trees and bushes. How I might I get past this. I have followed the 'wall' along its length, end to end, several times. No way through.....

(BEDGES: I dont recieve IM's , that function doesnt seem to work. It just says "No messages..")

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #36 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:17:29 »
I assume you are playing with Mikero's editor update installed (editor103.pbo) and no other previous editor update, right? (just to be sure the forest objects are the correct ones). Are you playing WGL version or standar one?

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:23:36 »
 Mikero's editor update IS installed (editor103.pbo) and i am playing with the STANDARD version. No other editor update installed.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jul 2006, 21:29:39 »
Then the cries cannot come from behind and solid barrier of trees and bushes, as the only barrier present is the shouther forest. The girl spawns at the nothern forest and never gets out of its limits. Even in the case she "gets crazy" and try to move too far to the South, she would be unnable to cross the solid forest.

You better go back to the northern forest and try to locate cries and moans there. Nothern forest has no solid bushes/forests unless you are playing with a modified version of Malden island.

Offline supershooter

• Members
  • 2+2=4
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jul 2006, 22:00:33 »
I return to the northern forest. Look around, but the cries always always come from the south. I follow the cries and they are coming from the southern forest which is blocked off.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2006, 22:36:25 »
WGL version had a problem with weapon type names, the effect is that player does not lose his weapon when attacked by wolves or ghosts.

Fixed now:

The Forest v1.71 WGL 5.0 version

SuperShooter, no idea how the girl in your game was able to reach Souther forest, best you can do is to start the game again.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2006, 10:40:57 »
Wow, i love this mission very atmospheric.

Not sure what version i played the link in your sig.

Overview

Good, tells a quick story on each page.

Intro

Nice liked it, some nice features like the artillery guns.
How about make a custom resource for that note on the street about join the army, when he looks at it, you play a resource showing a Join the army advertisment?
Apart form that good.

Briefing

Im not very good with reviewing briefings so im just gonna say its good.

Mission

Nice idea with the 3D writing.
I start off and run south. Find my outpost talk to the dude. Builds the atmosphere nicely.
Stand there looking around start hearing very weird noises and am told to investigate. So i run more south, lovely effects here like the ghosts and the wolves eyes and getting pulled by the wolves scared the shit out of me wasnt expecing that  ;D

I find the house with that ghost and go looking for the fountain firstly. Find it and heal however from here on i dont know what to do so i ended up unpboing the mission and there appears to be no way to go any further south? I keep geting blocked off and cant find a way around it. Would love to complete this mission very good.

Overall

Very nice, great atmosphere and some very nice and clever scripts added.
Just not sure where to go from that church.

Overall so far i would say 8/10
Very scary for an ofp mission.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2006, 11:25:19 »
456820, you played the BIS standar mission v1.7 (at my signature), but it seems you missed half the mission or more  :D

When you talk with the father's girl (the ghost) he commands you to find her daughter, "she is crying alone in the forest" (he also gives you the tip about a healing fountain somewhere). So your primary goal is to find that girl after talking with that ghots. You should look for the girl in the northen forest (the forest where your guarpost is). Once you find the girl, she will give you further instructions, and only after that you will be able to cross the barrier of the southern forest (the forest behind the church's ruins).

That healing fountain works only once, so it is recommended to drink from it only after talking with the girl. If you need healing before that you may use the first aid box inside your tent (at your initial camp N of your guardpost).

BTW, due to a problem with WGL 5.0 BIS objects, the WGL Forest version fountain is the large one (not the small one with the statue above), so the player cannot get close enough to its center drink from it. Of course, drinking from the healing fountain is not mandatory (it is not any objetive), but makes the mission a bit harder as your only can heal with the first aid box in your tent (way North of the southern forest).

Offline Igor Drukov

• Contributing Member
  • Conscientious Subjector
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2006, 15:08:35 »
I've just finished the WGL apparently final version.

If I were an OFPEC mission reviewer, I'd put this one a 10/10, or even 11.  What else can you ask from a mission-designer ? I pretty much said everything I had to say on the Official Forums, there's no "you could tweak this or that", this mission rocks, plain and simple.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: 03 Aug 2006, 19:36:06 »
very nice but is it a Blair Witch project?
i did like the touch and feel of the mission
scripting is great and fun kicks ya around a bit, time well spent
something new ,,,,, i liked it!  ;)
Semper Fi