Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Forest  (Read 12714 times)

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: The Forest
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2006, 01:44:26 »
Thanks for your comments and advices Mikero.

Just a comment about the house, there is a fire at the entrance that the player may light to have a more clear vision of the rooms. And yes, there is already a dirt grave there, clearly visible if you light the fire (but if you light it the woodcutters will have a better vision too ;) ).

What includes the new release (1.5):
- English, German and Spanish languages.
- Sick script redone, it is less frequent but causes more damage, some effects added to make it more real (too real), no more keyboard disabling.
- Solid forests: There are no more trasparecies that may confuse the players looking for the pass-through.
- Guiding starts: The starts now guide you first to the souther forest pass-through, then will guide you to "the other place".
- Some english language corrections.
- A very VERY special sequence added to the outro  :D

The zip file includes a zip inside with all the overviews, briefings and stringtable for english, german and spanish. I would appreciate any help to improve the grammars. If any of you wants this mission in other languages, feel free to add the corresponding one to the current stringtable, but tell me first so I wait before releasing any new updated version (with grammar corrections, if any).

The Forest v1.5 (obsolete)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 22:09:09 by Mandoble »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2006, 01:27:46 »
please provide a link to this version Mandoble,  1st topic first page. It's buried too deep, people wont find it.

V1.5

yes, Excellent.

The retry after the ghost father is a little too delayed. Needs to come in quicker. The impression is I have triggered some 'zone' by walking away from house. Bring it in sooner.

Another objective needs to be placed here. Find the girl (I am no longer investigating sounds)

I was hit by ghost (and died) while father was talking. Nothing I could do of course to prevent it.

At no time did  hear 'sound of girl crying' more like orrible moans I would associate with beasts. Change it to a more obviously feminine noise.

I didn't find her for some time and kep re-trying to see if going to the base camp or going to the fountain, before looking for her would cause her to appear. Not sure if it did, I only spotted her in the vague distance later. The light effect as I get closer is very clever.

I am very confused by the camp fires.

1) why do i *have* to put out the one when we first start?

2) It seems, they are switched off on some of the retry triggers, it _seems_ like the ghouls put them out also. It isn't obvious enough and very confusing / disorientating. This is fine, what's not fine, is the impression it's a bug in the mission, rather than something deliberate by ghouls. Try and cause it to happen by making ghouls sometimes emerge if I am in visual distance of a fire so player can see their shadows. Ie, not when Im at fire, but a 'safe' distance. It's just by luck, I can see it happen.

shooting them causes '1 hold fire'

The Forest opening is a little tricky, I'm keen at that time to get healed first. Forest is not open then, I trun corner, get healed, come back, forest is open. Any visual effect you might have employed is not noticed by player as a result.

Perhaps some softened light at the entrance which causes the forest to open as I get close to it? This gives me option of healing first.

Finding girl.

There is *no* grave or indication (except, marginally, to light the fire). This is because these models (buildings) collapse over time into the ground level (an ofp bug). By time I'm at house, the objects around it have begun sinking. You could fix this by moving house to a flatter area (the slight hill causes this problem, I a, walking in house, not on it's floorboards).. Depending how sick you are, you can have the disconcerting effect of crawling under house.

I think you still need to do some more work on the comets.

Final stuff is fine, the music good, but, I would add the bird chirping environment sound here. The forest has changed, black ops have taken up residence. The player is not aware and shoots first, asks later (they look like ghosts in the distance)

Turn the jeep to face the other way, or put it somewhere else as well. The AI is having a terrible time navigating to road, it needs to face north, not, south.

Nice.

Nice and even better outro. You are a wonderful story teller.

« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 03:35:37 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:58:11 »
Thanks for your suggestions Mikero.

EDIT: Rest of message deleted, too many tips for the players  8)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2006, 22:10:09 by Mandoble »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2006, 13:18:25 »
>They are not blackops, just friendly ghouls

well then it's another mystery and by all means keep it as it is then, you've done a wonderful job with this. There's so many little catches and mysteries that keep the player exploring. Really really good, well done.

The piccie above says it all, it's actually quite beautiful, quite subtle. A wonderful wonderful job mandoble.

I can imagine this is not everyone's mission it can be exceptionally frustating first time thru. Yes, the campfires DID stop me going south. There's really nothing more to say that wouldn't affect what you've created, more touches, change this, change that. I don't think so, this mission just needs to play itself and be left alone (apart from technical boo boos)..

It's one of those missions that asks more questions than can be answered. It's quite unique and I've said more than enough.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2006, 22:03:16 »
Thanks again for your comments Mikero.

The Forest v1.55 (obsolete)

New version with the following changes:

- You are inmune to ghosts and wolves while talking with the father.
- New placement for the house, so everything works fine for normal and high terrain detail levels.
- Added some new vegetation in front of the house.
- Woodcutters placed "almost" outside of the light effect of the fire near the house. Note that they are placed with a short but random distance from their starting positions, so, some times you will see them clearly, some times you will not.
- The grave is also marked by some nice effects now, no way to miss it.
- Ghouls are no longer west side.
- Ghouls, while peaceful, dont like bullets. If you attack them, you will experiment their new and very special weapon  :D
- Collins will have now little or no problems at all finding a way outside the training area while driving the jeep.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2006, 01:14:22 by Mandoble »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2006, 05:05:58 »
 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2006, 09:14:18 »
Excelent! Thanks a lot Mikero.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2006, 01:23:12 »
The Forest v1.59 (obsolete)

Changes in v1.59 version:
- English corrections by Mikero  :)  (changed "hey human" by "hey mate", otherwise it would be too clear what they really are, they player will find out what they are two seconds later ;)  )
- More effects added to the ghosts, now they are quite noticeable, but also dangerously attractive for the players  8)
- When you puke, you really puke (clearly visible in external view).
- More effects added to the returning weapon sequence.

Now this is getting serious, I'm starting to be quite satisfied with the final result  :)
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2006, 23:21:56 by Mandoble »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2006, 01:59:59 »
>Now this is getting serious, I'm starting to be quite satisfied with the final result

me too ::)

pls check the overview html because i did change the paragraph a lot, and only 'think'  I understood what you were trying to say.

I also removed the 'put out the fire' in the briefing. It made no sense, based on what you've told me.

small typo in my csv. jeweler = jeweller
Just say no to bugz

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2006, 02:24:02 »
I played all the mission, intro and outro with your text and everything is fine, also  overview. What you removed was not "put out the fire" but "switch off the light" , which means you better turn off the light of your room or you wont be able to see anything  ;D

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2006, 23:23:28 »
What more than problably will be the final version:

The Forest 1.6

Some language corrections for german and english.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:05:46 »
you better turn off the light of your room or you wont be able to see anything

even with that, I still misunderstood !!! ( was trying to find a switch in the tent !!!!)

You have plenty of space in that briefing, change the wording to something like this:

Player Hints:

close the door, switch off the lights, and start playing !

Just say no to bugz

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2006, 21:09:06 »
Played 1.6.

What a special mission!

It played like a final.
Just one thing, before I met the father I was thrown through the air and lost my rifle. After a few minutes I met the father and was dragged away by something shortly after. Only when that happened my character complained about his (long before) lost rifle.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2006, 21:57:36 »
You are right Trapper, when attacked by the ghosts and thrown through the air you lose your weapon, but the character only complains about that if attacked by the wolves by first time. I will take note of that. BTW, if you keep searching for your weapon, more than probably you will die in the forest.

Anyway, I dont plan to make any update in very near future unless there is some special and really worth suggestion about story/gameplay or if someone decides to translate the stringtable to any still unsupported languages.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2006, 00:55:54 »
By a big (really BIG) mistake, I forgot to activate the outro ???. So, in 1.6 you will only see three soldiers looking at each other, far, I mean really FAR away from the REAL outro.

While I keep spanking my head with a morningstar, here you may get the fixed version:

The Forest 1.7