Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Weapon Sight Resources  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Weapon Sight Resources
« on: 27 May 2006, 04:46:53 »
Well, I tried releasing this over at the BI Forums, but it went over like a cold day at the beach

So, I thought I'd try it here, seeing as most people here are more mission editing minded.

First off, this addon is for mission makers only.  This is not something you can play with in the editor, it requires some setting up.

This addon adds weapon sights usable for any cutscene, much like the binocular resource that came with the game.  It includes every weapon I could think of and find, which, AFAIK, is every weapon that came with the game.  See the included example mission.

Now, why should you use my addon instead of doing this yourself?  Because, when an optic file is defined as a resource, it is turned upside-down.  My addon corrected this issue.  Also, most of the optic files that came with the game give errors.  Again, my pack fixes this.

See the readme for more info.

What I'd like to know from mission makers is:
1. Is this pack complete and satisfactory?
2. Would you use something like this, or find is potentially useful?
3. Do you even care?

-Pilot

EDIT:
One other thing, the optic sights that come with the game also include the muzzle flash.  My pack removes this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
Re: Weapon Sight Resources
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2006, 18:26:51 »
Hi

I like the idea. This can make lots of diffrent ideas for diffrent cutscenes.
I dont think you can add much more to this, so yes I think its complete.

The only reason I might not use it, is if I dont want to use addons in my mission. But I dont think you can much about that.

Good job  ;)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2006, 19:48:53 »
Thanks for the comments. :)

I'm pretty sure that these resources have to be in an addon, so there's not much I can do about that, unfortunately. :-\

-Pilot

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2006, 00:45:30 »
you can do this without the need for an addon, although the optic file would have to be shipped with the mission itself, and then its a case of copying the resource entry in the .cpp of the addon, into the decription.ext
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2006, 19:00:26 »
Hmm, I wasn't too sure about that.  In description.ext the line to specify the model looks like this:
model="ModelName.p3d";

I thought that if just the model name is used, then OFP would look for that model in Data3d.  I never really tested this, though, so I suppose I could be wrong.

-Pilot

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2006, 10:43:52 »
If that doesn't work, you can try using something like
Code: [Select]
model="..\AddOns(or wherever the addon is stored)\pboname\ModelName.p3d";
The ..\ should direct OFP to start looking for that path from the OFP root folder..

EDIT:
In configs the model path is 'defaulted' into the Data3D if no other path is defined OFP searches the model there, in missions the default path is always the mission root, that's why you can run scripts etc. just with exec "script.name" instead of exec "path\scriptname.sqs"..
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2006, 10:47:11 by HateR_Kint »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2006, 07:26:16 »
Thank you for that clarification.  I just learned something new today.

I suppose, for now, if a mission maker wants to use these resources without the addon he can de-pbo the addon and place the correct .p3d file in his mission folder.  I may change this myself in the future, but at the moment I am too busy to do any serious editing of this project.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone.  If you have any more, please be sure to post them.

-Pilot