Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: mission reviewers  (Read 3738 times)

BRAVO-TWO

mission reviewers
« on: 30 Nov 2005, 19:00:53 »
guys im  sorry to complain  but  i have a few points id like to make

below is the review from a mission i just  finished..

Briefing: The briefing is extensive, gives you plenty of information of what to do, and all the links worked. The notes states that the player wants to avenge his men's death, but nothing else. There are also few grammar errors, such as no caps. in the notes area, and a few other things in the briefing. There is no weapons selection, but you are solo (for a bit).

Intro: None

Mission: Paradrop in the air and then glide to your designated Landing Zone and meet up with Resistance fighters. Then go and take out a radio tower and wait for extraction. The mission doesn't end there, as you will recieve further orders to go and raid an enemy airfield once you have met the Colonel at the Operations Base. When you have arrived at the airfield, you must provide cover for the demolition teams and destroy the enemy reinforcements including armor tanks before your demo team is killed. You will be relieved to hear a chopper fly by during the battles and extract your men into safety.

Outro: None

Special: None

Summary: Overall, I enjoy this mission, although there were many grammar errors in the briefing and notes section, but the operations were great. This is a good teamwork mission.

first one  there is a limited weapon selection available at the start of the mission
player  can select from 3 assault rifles..

secondly  any one can mis type as the reviewer himself shows in his summary
so to be criticised for bad grammar  not  one but three times is i feel a bit harsh..
not everyones first language is english...

apart from that  the reveiw was spot on  ..
sorry to be a pain in the ass....

love the site  

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:mission reviewers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 19:18:56 »
Which mission is it?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

BRAVO-TWO

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2005, 21:29:07 »
To be honest I think (without talking about the marks since I haven't played the mission) the review seems fair. The reviewer may be wrong about the weapon selection and if you are right, it should be changed. The spelling errors are however a different story. Why not spent another 10 minutes to use a spell-checker, which is nothing compared to the hours it has taken to complete the mission itself?
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2005, 22:07:20 »
Why not spent another 10 minutes to use a spell-checker, which is nothing compared to the hours it has taken to complete the mission itself?

are you talking about the author of the mission or the author of the review? i think to be completely fair (depending on Blacknite's first language) the review could have been better written, let alone the mission briefing...

There are also few grammar errors...

does that mean there weren't many, or has he forgotten 'a'? 'grammatical' might also be a better word to use here, grammatically speaking.

time of day - nite...  i'll stop now :-\

BRAVO-TWO

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2005, 22:59:44 »
its not the spelling errors , it s  the failure to use   capital letters  in the notes  which i think fails to deserve a mention  in a mission reveiw ... and  yes  there is a weapon  selection available at start of mission,
as ive said in previous post  other than  my complaint  the review is spot on....

ProudPotter2490

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2005, 23:05:35 »
To be honest, I don't belive Blacknite is a capable reviewer. I'm sure the kid is a goodun', but should you really allow someone who churns out missions like a factory without getting anything eximplary be allowed to review?

What i'm trying to say is, to be a reviewer you've got to know the in's and out's of a good mission and prove yourself by making one that meets a reasonable quality. Blacknite really hasn't done this at all (although he did get a 5, but thats still average). In short, how can you be a master if you can't surpass the student?

A very 'politcal' post i'm sure you'll agree and I know we're all here to learn, as is Blacknite but I really don't think he's ready for such a position as of now. Only my opinion though.

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2005, 23:32:15 »
I understand there might be a 'shortage' of mission reviewers, and you might be desperate to recrute new ones, but still some criterias should be implemented, so

@ ProudPotter2490

I second you on this.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2005, 23:35:34 »
actually, he's got three 5s and two 6s in there ;)

personally i trust the selection process - he wouldn't be on the staff if he was in any way unsuitable. nudging him in a more thorough mission-reviewing direction might be apt though...  ::)

in any case, questions on the efficacy of reviewers should be directed to the staff member concerned, and failing that, Artak. meantime, the complaint is being dealt with.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2005, 23:38:53 by bedges »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2005, 23:48:32 »
Indeed... bedges has hit the nail firmly on the head. If he wasnt' suitable for the position he wouldn't have been accepted for it in the first place.

Shark, your concerns are fair enough and will always be listend to. Please IM Artak and discuss it with him in a more private manner.

Proudpotter, karantan, feel free to help out if you feel you can ;)

# Topic Locked
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2005, 23:53:17 by Sui »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2005, 18:55:41 »
Cheers guys, you just cost me, OFPEC and the community another reviewer. Because of your hostile and immature approach on this, Blacknite has now resigned from his duties as a reviewer.

After spending hours of preparing him for the job, setting up his account, ect. ect., it makes me very angry to see that some people don't have the courtesy and/or brains to deal with these matters in private.  >:(

You guys are probably jumping for joy right now, but think again. You wasted a perfectly good reviewer who just needed some final guidance and advice, which I would have given to him had you approached me directly. I'm sure the community can appreciate your effort - the pending list will keep on piling up.
..should ban for life the lot of you..

I understand there might be a 'shortage' of mission reviewers
Karantan, you're right. We do have a shortage of reviewers, and that shortage is because we're NOT settling bad ones and have NOT lowered our "criteria".

To be honest, I don't belive Blacknite is a capable reviewer.
He WAS. I personally conduct a series of tests and trick questions to new applicants and train them for the job. There was nothing wrong with the review except the minor error with the weapon selection, and forgetting the use of a spelling check. Speaking of spelling check, which do you think is being evaluated and scored - the text in the mission or the text in the review?

bah!
Not all is lost.

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:17:47 »
Well, all I can say Artak, that I'm really sorry about Blacknite's resigning, I really am, but I don't fell in any way guilty, or responsible for this.  Maybe he is a good reviewer, but if he couldn't take a first bite of a criticism ... but sometimes is also not easy for mission makers; what all they (we) must to swollow in some reviews, I think even Blacknite has expirienced some of this.

As I see it, this 'traffic' should and must go both ways; if a mission maker have a valid complain about the review, he should be listened up.  Publicly if possible, as the reviews are publical.

EDIT: As I can see, there's 5 mission reviewers.  How many of them do you need for the 'optimal number' to be met?
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2005, 20:22:09 by karantan »

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:23:35 »
are you talking about the author of the mission or the author of the review?
I was talking about the mission author ofcourse.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #13 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:29:04 »
If a mission maker has a 'valid' issue to take up about a review he should, in the first instance IM the reviewer to point out any mistake or issue he has with the review.

If there is still a problem then contacting the MD Admin would be a valid next step.

Public debate about these little problems are not needed when they can be sorted out in a proper manner.

Even mission reviewers are human.

Planck
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2005, 20:29:39 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:33:13 »
Even mission reviewers are human.
I figure.  Like mission makers I asume. ;)

ProudPotter2490

« Reply #15 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:40:14 »
"Even mission reviewers are human."
Of course they are, as are the 'people' of this site. Everyone here should be entitled to mistakes, praise and critisim. Even the reviewers.

Obviously we didn't want Blacknite to reisgn and I hope he comes back. By no means was I trying to slate him. As I said, he's entitled to a mistake, critisism and more importantly praise.

If you read this Blacknite. Please reconsider your desicion. Build upon healthy critisism and ignore the nasty stuff :). Please don't take any of our comments personally.

Edit:-
Feel free to voice any opinions you have on the Missions Depot,
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2005, 20:43:14 by ProudPotter2490 »

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 01 Dec 2005, 20:43:14 »
Ok, I think this topic has served it's purpose.

SHARK ATTACK got to make his point. No one seems to be hurt (except blacknite, ofcourse) and everything has been explained. Let's close this before people do.

#locked
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2005, 21:32:46 by MachoMan »

BRAVO-TWO

blacknite
« Reply #17 on: 01 Dec 2005, 22:50:01 »
wished id never posted complaint  never intended  to cause blacknite to resign  as i said in origional post  his review was spot on... sorry  mate  didnt mean to offend  or to open the door  for others to complain...