Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Uprising v2.0  (Read 19710 times)

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
Re:The Uprising v1.2
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2005, 02:47:18 »
ok, thank you Mikero i got it working now.

Overview:
good,
pic: could be better, maby a real life photo of US troops at a checkpoint on the road or somthing.

INTRO: Great camera, nicely done, I thought it was odd that the resistance guy ran right into the US base without the gaurds even moving,  maby you could have them aim their guns at him and he walk up to them slowly and start talking to one of them before blacking out.

Briefing: It explained everything fine, I had no trouble understanding anything.

Mission: In the start I thought the player shud start near a building in the base(or in one) and have to run out to his waiting squad.

First place I visited was somwhere to the west of camp Patton. I found nothing there,

Moved on to another town even more to the west, I asked arround and sombody told me of a weapons cash. I thot that it might be gaurded so I had my APC's stay infront of me and somthing happend and I was accidentaly run over by one of them on the way. restart.

the next time I went to the same town where the Guy told me about the ammo dump, as I pulled into the town another incident happend. a villiger darted from behind a house into the road and was run over by my hummer. I got out but the ammo cash I could not find. I asked arround and when i spoted the villager who told me last time, he fled. I chased after him and after a long run I caught up to him and questioned him, he told me "to go to hell", I was so frusterated I shot him in the face with my berreta. on the way back I heard the civilians were acting suspicios and getting rialed up over the radio, I guess the civilians dint like the way I was treating them. I kept searching thru villages and found a few leaders and cashes but not a big haul.  villages started being attacked but I had fortified all the villages with my troops beforehand so none fell.

I drove around a little more but got bored and quit.

It is a nicely put together mission, most important you need to work on is keeping the civilians in the villages, alot of times I would arive in a village find it empty, and then find the ocupants frolicking in a nearby field.

I enjoyed testing it,

thank you

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2005, 18:16:03 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know which version you tested but v1.2 should help keeping the civs pretty close to the town.

Oh and don't worry about civs running around, thats just the AI making them run to their next doMove (i have them set to careless but they still run).

And in order to find the caches just use the map and you can see yourself ("HQ") moving and just make sure you move to the "CACHE" marker on the map.

Conors

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2005, 21:06:32 »
what about adding some more life (dosnt have to be much just tthe odd civ car on the raod).

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2005, 22:11:11 »
@conors

Yeah that sounds like a good idea.  Shouldn't have to adjust the civilian movement themes too much.  I'll look into it.  I'll have to handle them getting out of their cars should they be inclined to join the rebellion but that shouldn't be too bad.

I'm heading out on Thanksgiving vacation soon so a new update probably won't be done until a couple of days from now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2005, 02:17:21 »
In summary I think you can see the two major squeals here are

ammoboxes

no one cares how you do it, but (ultimately) visible they must be. Don't forget the real and genuine fear of any player looking at a briefing during gameplay. Not only can they get shot, they can lose the briefing, permanently. CreateVehicle() when you have to, but make those things visible. In my case I did run HQ to 'the spot', nothing happened until my jeep came to same place! Not good. (but the idea is very fine indeed). Certainly be cheesy and plunk the thing inside a bush so player thinks the newly appearing ammo was just overlooked by him earlier.

moving civs

they're great, they're dynamic, and they always invetibly seem to be farming rather than sitting in the cafe's of the village. Whatever waypoints you've got for them, they bias towards the potato fields and beyond. You need to clamp 'em down in town. In almost all instances, the LAST place I looked for them was where they were supposed to be, in town.

>moving cars.

Really appreciate it if you DO put this in. Remember that you intended to have at least half this mission as a civilian scene. I'd reinforce that 'feeling' over and over and over again, with anything-civilian  flooding my screen. I'd certainly also include tractors. You could DeleteVehicle() half od this stuff when war starts. They wont be driving the roads anymore, will they 8)

You have a terrific mission here, and while all these are niggles, the mission itself deserves to be improved by fixing them.

Edit:

Thanksgiving

Your timing is badly off. In the real world, we celebrate it on the 4th July.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2005, 02:22:17 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
Re:The Uprising v1.3
« Reply #20 on: 04 Dec 2005, 17:32:47 »
NEW VERSION JUST UPLOADED (Dec 4).  Lots of significant changes to add a more realistic environment with overhauled civilian processing and added civilian VEHICLES.

Enjoy.  This one should be a nice improvement.

LoTekK

« Reply #21 on: 04 Dec 2005, 20:46:02 »
This sounds super nifty, but I'm getting an "unavailable" error from yousendit. Then again, being behind an ISP proxy, I typically have lots of trouble with yousendit and rapidshare. Any mirrors or alternatives?

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #22 on: 05 Dec 2005, 01:01:52 »
@MarkB

I really like this mission, i've played it now a couple of times (which for a Beta tester with volumes to get thru, is already a statement in itself!)

But both your links at top page are broken. Please get rid of at least one of them as neither work!

looking forward to testing this newer 1.3 as soon as you can provide a stable link. :D
Just say no to bugz

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #23 on: 05 Dec 2005, 03:40:23 »
Thats really strange.  I upload it at yousendit and immediately by clicking the url it gives me, says its unavailable.

Drat.  I'll have to upload it to another site.

EDIT:  Added link to rapidshare on 1st Post. Use the LINK not the ATTACHMENT

Can a admin PLEASE remove the attachment from my first post. I cant get rid of it.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2005, 03:43:54 by markb50k »

LoTekK

« Reply #24 on: 05 Dec 2005, 05:18:58 »
Anyone got a mirror? Rapidshare has worked for me a grand total of one time, a couple months ago. And yousendit has never worked for me. :(

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #25 on: 05 Dec 2005, 13:15:47 »
@LoTekk:  I can email it to you if you would like.  Just let me know.

LoTekK

« Reply #26 on: 05 Dec 2005, 19:27:21 »
Mark, that would be ace. :)

teck at lotekk dot com

Looking forward to taking a crack at this. :)

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #27 on: 05 Dec 2005, 22:09:13 »
@LoTekk:  Email sent.  Hope you enjoy it.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #28 on: 05 Dec 2005, 23:02:45 »
Can a admin PLEASE remove the attachment from my first post. I cant get rid of it.

I'm sorry, we can't, not cause we don't want to, just because Yabb doesnt let us.
Get those missions out there you morons!

LoTekK

« Reply #29 on: 06 Dec 2005, 06:18:57 »
Shiny. :) Thanks, mark, I'll see if I can find some time tonight to hammer away at this one.

Okay, this is weird. I can't get the mission to start up. The intro loads up fine, runs its course, and then the briefing shows up. And that's it. Flashpoint just sorta locks up at that point. I can tab out of the game, but that's about all.

I have no idea why this is happening. I initially chalked it up to my typical setup of ECP+DMA Army Pack+HiSky+Retextured Islands, but running it clean gave me the same lockup.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2005, 22:01:03 by LoTekK »