Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Pending missions  (Read 2475 times)

Offline xylaz

• Members
    • Dark Hunters
Pending missions
« on: 30 Oct 2005, 19:32:12 »
Is there any chance, that pending missions will be reviewed? I mean multiplayer pending missions. There is 13 pages of pending missions already :o and the oldest missions are from february'04. Last unpending took place at 14 august. I dont blame anyone but in fact, pending missions are main source of missions now, and there is no point in opening reviewed page anymore.

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
Re:Pending missions
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2005, 20:31:14 »
I don't it's fair to say that the pending list should be your main source of missions. If you like to play Single Player Missions, at least a couple of missions are reviewed each month. I know that's not completely up to spec, but we have had some technical difficulties, which made reviewing impossible for some of our reviewers. These difficulties have also made some of our staff have to focus on the technical side of OFPEC, rather then reviewing missions.

But if we talk about MP missions, you are right. It has always been difficult for OFPEC to review MP missions. Reviewing an MP mission takes at least as much time getting the review organised as reviewing the actual mission.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2005, 20:31:58 by MachoMan »
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2005, 09:15:25 »
Another question about pending missions, SP this time.

I just wanted to ask how do reviewers pick missions to review. I thought they go chronologically from the oldest in the pending list, but now I see some missions have been reviewed which I didn't notice there. May as well be my mistake (?)

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just curious ;)
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2005, 09:17:28 by Jezuro »
"We are Her salvation, and through Her command we shall live forever. I will not die. Not here. Not now. Never!!!"

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2005, 09:21:57 »
Missions are reviewed from the oldest submitted, chronologically.

Sometimes, often even, it seems that the order is random because some reviewers work faster than others.

If Bob, Jack and John are reviewing the bottom three. Frank comes along and picks the oldest available and reviews it in one night - the fourth oldest mission got reviewed.

Also, missions with problems mix the order a bit as they're left to be fixed by author.

Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2005, 14:05:29 »
The biggest problem is simply a lack of qualified reviewers.  Not enough people volunteer; and of those that do, many are not suitable; and of those who are accepted, many do just a handful of reviews before the novelty wears off and they give up.

The second biggest problem is the quality of missions.   Many are faulty.    These take up an extraordinary amount of reviewer time, and all too often the author doesn't fix the faults.  All that time and effort is wasted because it doesn't result in a reviewed mission.     Missions simply MUST be beta tested by third parties before submission.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2005, 15:11:23 »
I think you forgot another reason, people doing other OFPEC jobs. ;)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Jezuro

• Members
  • Hookah 4 lyfe!
    • Jezuro's ArmA Workshop
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2005, 16:51:38 »
Understood. Thanks guys.

PS: It's always better to have the best quality and most objective reviews, although not so often, than a lot of poorly written, short and befuddled ones. Keep up the good work ;)
"We are Her salvation, and through Her command we shall live forever. I will not die. Not here. Not now. Never!!!"

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2005, 23:12:59 »
@Jezuro

that's the way we feel about it too, and the reason why I joined this mob of lunatics. Quality counts.

as for faulty missions, if they were passed directly to beta without further comment or effort from the reviewer, his workload would dramatically decrease and the out-the-door quality improve.
Just say no to bugz

OFPJunkie

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2005, 08:27:59 »
heh, people can't complain about single player submissions. Those are getting reviewed super fast.

I just don't think as many people play MP as they do SP.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2006, 09:31:43 »
I just wish Abandoned Armies would get a review... but with it's 24hour+ playtime I doubt it's going to get one before the end of 2006 ::)
Heh, there should be a website dedicated to it.. different play styles, peoples stories... hmm maybe I will make one..

Reviews for most missions however, seem to be getting done faster than ever before. Well done OFPEC :)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2006, 00:56:06 »
Well, mate, our reviewer working on it went AWOL, so now we have some backroom boyz working double time to catch up. It'll get done, just might take a few days or a week. Maybe two...

Wow, lots of staff replying to this thread. ;D
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2006, 01:00:20 »
Well, mate, our reviewer working on it went AWOL

probably went insane from the thought of how long it would take to gt it done.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2006, 04:35:22 »
That and then shot himself.  :P

"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08