Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: to play or not to play  (Read 2088 times)

kit

to play or not to play
« on: 02 Sep 2005, 22:13:32 »
I was just thinking what a great ofp site this is ,but  hey folks dont forget that for every editor out there there needs to be hundreds of players also out  there to play and marvel at the editors skill , as a non editor you guys are great but we need you as much as you need us or do you just write missions for yourselves ? and if you do why post ?

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re:to play or not to play
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2005, 22:26:05 »
why does a painter paint? why does a sculptor sculpt? the playing side of flashpoint is one thing, but when the tools are there to make it (relatively) easy to bring your own ideas into being, who with a creative streak can resist?

and when the full depth of the possibilities and range of flashpoint editing is glimpsed, i can testify it becomes very addictive trying to achieve the seemingly impossible, like finding a whole new set of colours to paint with ;)

when someone 'road-tests' a mission and enjoys it, the effort becomes so much more worthwhile, but seeing the fruits of one's labours is almost enough (when it works properly) whether it's played by others or not.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2005, 22:27:27 by bedges »

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2005, 22:35:25 »
and if you do why post ?

like finding a whole new set of colours to paint with

but seeing the fruits of one's labours is almost enough (when it works properly) whether it's played by others or not.

What a glorious sentiment.

I heard a quote on TV the other day, (I think from Gerald Scarfe) that reminded me so much of the Flashpoint scene:

Everyone has some creativity in them , it just depends how you show it.  :)
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

bored_onion

« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2005, 22:38:25 »
different editors have different aims when they make missions. some do it to alleviate boredom, some to try out a great new idea, some for more philanthropic reasons like repaying the community with some of their own work. for me, it is simply making something of my own to be proud of and seeing others getting some kind of enjoyment from it.

then again some people just like big bangs :P

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2005, 05:29:49 »
Speaking for myself.  I just like making things.  It doesn't matter what it is: R/C model planes; computer programs; photographs; new stuff at work; even cooking.

Making an OFP mission is very much like cooking.  It is unpredictable, but generally manageable; it is a fulfilling thing to do in its own right BUT, eventually without someone to share it with it becomes a bit of a sterile activity.  To share a mission/meal with someone and for them not to be polite but to be open and honest can be a bit disconcerting at first, but it is the only way to make progress.  Then, knowing that people are being honest about what they think, if they like it, well it is such a buzz.  

I also think it has a lot to do with the tone of this site.  It is a genuinely supportive community here. It is a great place to hang out.

« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 09:57:23 by THobson »

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 03 Sep 2005, 06:20:07 »
Well...in my case I use OFP like a training to my possible (well I hope so) army joining. As this is the best war simulator ever done.  ;D
So I create maps that recreate conflicts I would like to see in OFP. I love creating background stories for missions, but they need a mission right? So I make them. And only the best ones I show to my mates and maybe, publish to the public.  :-\
I created more than 100 missions until today and I can tell you, I feel proud of what I accomplished.  :) Even if they arent pearls like Abandoned Armies, or Un-Impossible Mission, they are something "mine", my intelectual property, something I can show to other people and make them to enjoy even more this wonderful game that OFP is!  :P

Then I test some missions (When I have time  8)) because I feel its my obligation to help those people out. They are trying to show the community their work and need help of beta testers, I can help them, not to my name to happear in credits or something like that... just like a good deed.
And because every beta mission is a new mission to play, I personally enjoy even more OFP when testing them.
Also its a way to repay the community for its effort in maintaining this game alive after so many years!

And again, OFPEC is the best place to be for beta-testing or to publishing your missions... This is just like a huge family where no one knows each other personally (well some might know  ;)) but we are connected by only one thing: Our love for Operation Flashpoint!!

NBR Out!

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2005, 06:34:25 »
I'm sort of with THobson, although probably not to the extent.  I also find it fun, the only thing I find funner requires me to be strapped into an airplane. (saying strapped into a 170 hp Cessna 172 doesn't sound so cool :P)

Yes, I write my own missions and come up with my own ideas (that can easily be seen by my only submitted mission, Red Tide.  A lot of creativity went into that idea ::) ;D)

-Student Pilot

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #7 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:39:02 »
I make missions for the community. Once I've tested them they are far too easy for me as I know them inside out.

I like to think that the community appreciates my work and enjoys my missions as much as I enjoy making them.
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2005, 22:38:08 »
Same reason everyone publishes books, has TV shows, or sells art. I make missions for other peoples enjoyment and to share my ideas in their full, finished form to others. So that they say, damn that was cool or wow that was a fun mission.

And for making missions for my own enjoyment....

Well, it goes like this. I got an idea, I make it into a mission, and by then its much too easy and I know it much to well to play it for myself. I then make it for the players and for it to be rated. I want to give people the max in fun and realism so they don't think its a blind romp with no story. That's why I play missions by other people so I have fun and challenge myself. If I'm going to create something to have fun with myself, its usually an over exaggerated battle or something cool with tons of units and stuff just thrown together in 5 mintues so I have instant firefights and situations I like right there in front of me. Also doing it in 5 minutes is great, so quick and easy.

I had a feeling you knew the answer to your question before you asked. ;)

Offline Platoon Patton

• Members
  • "Barbecue" CreateVehicle getpos LLama
« Reply #9 on: 04 Sep 2005, 14:39:43 »
One day,a guy named Terox (he is still around) decided to create a MP template,as MP scripting is more complicated then SP scripting.

He spend hundreds of hours of his spare time to build it,test it,and since 1.5 years I spend hundreds of hours to enhance it.

If U had made your post 2 years ago,and he would have agreed with you,we would have missed thousands of nice game hours.The fact that almost every day people practise (MP Clans) your map,and have a great war on it at Sunday evening,makes the efforts worth it.

Its the challenge,the struggle to make something work when U have something in mind.
And the opportunity given by BIS,U just know that it IS possible,U just have to find out how.

Its all about the pleasure of creating  :)
http://www.platoon-clan.com/ We always wellcome dedicated OFP players :)

http://www.european-combat-league.com/index.php To play with us in the best OFP league ;)