Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Detecting dist, and some more.  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Triggerhappy

• Contributing Member
  • Llama, it's what's for dinner.
Re:Detecting dist, and some more.
« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2005, 21:12:37 »
unitname disableai "autotarget"
perhaps

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: 12 Aug 2005, 23:40:33 »
Is it possible to use a friendly soldier to drop the satchels, tell him to blow them up, and then after the deed is done, delete him and create/move another unfriendly soldier to his position?

Or is this another case of my solution being overly complicated? :P

-Student Pilot

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #47 on: 13 Aug 2005, 09:10:31 »
I have just noticed the stacked box problem.  The second box is being placed in relation to the first box.  Have you tried doing a:

box1 setPos getPos box1

I haven't but I bet the box moves.  If you do this with a wire object it moves nearly 1/2 its own length sideways. So I suggest you try:

_xcoord = getPos box1 select 0
_ycoord = getPos box1 select 1
box1 setPos [_xcoord,_ycoord,0]
box2 setPos [_xcoord,_ycoord,0.5]

That way you can be sure you are placing both boxes at the same x,y coordinates.

EDIT:

On your waypoint/domove problem.
1. Are you sure waypoints will not do what you want, there are lots of different types of waypoints and some can be very clever - and you can move them?
2. I find that sometime units do just stop when they are actioning a doMove instruction.  I will usually put the doMove in a loop that repeats every 30 seconds or so.

My advice - forget about trying to simulate wapoints with doMoves and use waypoints instead.

setCaptive true and setBehaviour "Careless" is usually all you will need for a unit to ignore, and not be shot at by, the enemy.  The enemy will not ignore the unit they will just not shoot at it.  Any enemy units at guard waypoint will still come looking for the unit.

EDIT2:
I believe you will get a better response to your questions if you had a new thread for each one. Someone looking at in new (like me this morning) could be really confused about what the current issue is.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2005, 09:31:10 by THobson »

DoDgY

« Reply #48 on: 13 Aug 2005, 13:37:16 »
Thanks you lot...again.

@triggerhappy
I have tried the disableAI thing but it has no effect
@Student Pilot, yes I may have to, thanks again.

@Thobson. Thanks for the box problem help, I reckon that'll work great, thanks :).

The reason I need domoves is because my markers that he needs to walk on are so close together, with a waypoint, he'd just think he's completed the first few all at once :) Believe me, I do need domoves.

Also, the problem isn't about the enemies shooting the captive, it's him stopping and looking at them in the middle of domoves. As I said, if he's a friendly soldier he'll do the script properly, but if enemy he keeps stopping and staring at enemies then walking again. It looks stupid, really. He isn't ignoring the enemy enough ;) .

I reckon I'll use Student pilot's advice about the deletevehicle as it will probably work fine :) Especially as he gets in a UAZ so the swap will be unnoticeable :) .

And as for your advice on creating a new topic every time I'll do that, it's just, depending on the website, people don't normally want a newbie asking loads of questions on a million threads.
I thought that it would be better not cluttering the forum up with threads, but if it's ok to make a new thread every time, I'll do that :) Especially if it gives me more feedback (not that the feedback I've had isn't great ;) )Thanks very much.

This place is great :P .

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #49 on: 13 Aug 2005, 13:55:28 »
DoDgY it's fine to start a new thread when you have a new question.     However, if you have several questions to ask at once put them in one thread, or maybe two if they divide neatly into two areas.

However, the important thing is to search first.   OFPEC is a big site and for historical and practical reasons there are several areas to search:  the forum itself, the FAQ and the Editors Depot tutorials.   All have search functions so it's not too hard.   You will often find the information you need.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

DoDgY

« Reply #50 on: 13 Aug 2005, 15:56:43 »
Yeah I have used the FAQ, search adn tutorials a lot, but it's when I cannot find the answer that I post :) Sometimes what many would consider an answer isn't specific enough for me to use because I am relatively inexperienced in improvising. But yes, I do often find the information I need from searching. Thanks, and I'll be starting some new threads soon for certain ;)