Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ropes Descending From Blackhawks  (Read 4366 times)

Scratchdat

Ropes Descending From Blackhawks
« on: 22 Aug 2002, 23:28:59 »
I know that u probably r thinking 'Oh not another Blackhawk Down Mission' but dont worry, cause it's not, I just want to know if anyone has, knows of or thinks they could make an addon which makes ropes come down from a Blackhawk/other chopper for soldiers to slide down like they had in Blackhawk Down (the film).

It would be best if the ropes would drop down when the pilot wanted them to (player pilot would have command menu button saying 'Drop Ropes', and then passengers could be able to slide down the ropes to the ground (player passengers could have a command menu button saying 'Slide Down Rope').

I think this sort of addon would be perfect for the campaign I'm making.

tai mai shu

Re:Ropes Descending From Blackhawks
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2002, 00:53:56 »
you could, using an addon, like (kegetys?) rope addon.

just make a long white rope addon, then make a script

ropedown.sqs
#loop
rope setpos getpos chopper
~.01
goto "loop"

then in the player, addaction [Throw ropes, "ropedown.sqs"]

your gonna have to modify the script so the guys ekect, but im too lazy to do that right now  ;D

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2002, 03:19:31 »
They Were talking about that in the Last Forum a Few Months ago and they tryed something like that but Some thing went wrong they Looked like they were falling or had Parachutes or Died or all three but they had some Idea but I don't know if it worked.

Scratchdat

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2002, 10:49:56 »
So where can I get Kegetys' rope addon then?

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2002, 00:26:39 »
Flashpoint has this really c**p bug, that if men are in the air for too long unsupported (i.e. by a heli or 'chute) they die  :( I've tried to make men look like they are absailing from a chopper, but it dont work :( for two reasons:

1: there is no animation to make the men look like they are absailing, so they are in either a seated or combat pose.

2: unless the heli is less than 6 metres off the ground the troops allways die about halfway down.

Sorry to put a downer on your idea, but unless bis do something about it I dont think its possible  :( :( :(

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2002, 04:21:47 »
Are you Sure it's 6 Meters? I Jump from 10 all the time and have No Problems, and I think a Seated Pose Would Look Fine, and If not it cant be that hard to make an animation, I'm sure some one could Do it  ;) , it cant be Impossible! It just Cant Be!!!

tai mai shu

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2002, 05:59:22 »
i dont think anyone here ahs the expertise, equipment, nor time to make new animations.  note that no one has been able to do so thus far, this is because motion capture devices are extremely expensive, and expensive to rent.

a pose that does look pretty realistic is the "pistol-drawn" it looks a lot liekt he guy is holding on to a rope.

as for the drop bugs, you could run a loop that sets the damage level to 0, and to make the drop look less dramatic (guys falling really fast looks weird) you could use the setacceleration command to slow down time.

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2002, 08:46:18 »
I didn't know it took all that Motion equipment, hmmm. maybe if we Yelled Really Really Loud at BIS they might do it for us, on the Count of three we'll all yell Really loud.

tai mai shu

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2002, 10:35:10 »
lol

well, theoretically, it is possible to make your own animations w/out all the motion detection hardware, as its just a matter of telling the solder "skeleton" what movements to do, how fast, and when.  but this is beyond most peoples abilities, and theres no progtams readily available to do so.

Scratchdat

« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2002, 10:57:14 »
So you're saying someone might do this in a few days?
Nope
Weeks?
Nope
Months?
Nope
Years?
Doubt it.

Scratchdat

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2002, 10:59:13 »
Oh yeah, and has anyone noticed how when a parachutist dies, his parachute explodes.

What's up with that?

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2002, 11:17:35 »
Since there is no way for non-BIS people to make new animations for the game, this is really a rather academic discussion.
Even if someone manages to get a hold of motion capture gear (as if, since this costs a bundle) it wouldn't do him/her much good at all. Not if you'd want to create OFP animations anyway. Sure you can record the animations, but you can't put them in-game.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

tai mai shu

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2002, 11:47:20 »
animations cant be imported into ofp? hmm, that blows.

tai mai shu

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2002, 11:48:36 »
Oh yeah, and has anyone noticed how when a parachutist dies, his parachute explodes.

What's up with that?

if you dont want that effect, you can always deletevehicle the parachute, and your soldier falls to his death heheh.

tai mai shu

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2002, 11:49:33 »
Flashpoint has this really c**p bug, that if men are in the air for too long unsupported (i.e. by a heli or 'chute) they die  :( I've tried to make men look like they are absailing from a chopper, but it dont work :( for two reasons:

1: there is no animation to make the men look like they are absailing, so they are in either a seated or combat pose.

2: unless the heli is less than 6 metres off the ground the troops allways die about halfway down.

Sorry to put a downer on your idea, but unless bis do something about it I dont think its possible  :( :( :(

um, a soldier can fall for at least half a minute, i mean, ive done it, look at the HALO mission!!! you fall for aout half a minute!!!