Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: force waypoint  (Read 947 times)

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
force waypoint
« on: 20 Jul 2005, 20:47:12 »
im wondering if its possible to force waypoints as in the yellow things that tell you were to go
if its possible how can i do it ?
ive seen theblackgap when sui creates some other kind is this because you can force normal waypoints ?

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
Re:force waypoint
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2005, 22:28:26 »
 :o again please, but slowly this time  ;)

I read this now threee times, but i still cannot find the rhyme
in your post.

If you mean by 'force waypoint': to activate any  waypoint
at a certain time even if the waypoint is not the next one
in order, or even if the waypoint has already has been passed,
then the answer is: SWITCH TRIGGER

If you mean by force waypoint + the second sentence of your
post: to write some text into the yellow square on screen,
then this can be done in the waypoint's menu somewhere
on top where there is also waypoint type and waypoint number.

If you mean something totally different, then sorry that i couldn't
understand  ???

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Dane

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2005, 23:06:32 »
I think he's talking about the yellow square brackets like in a cadet waypoint
and if it's possible to get them to appear.. i think :P
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2005, 23:07:57 by Dane »

qqqqqq

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2005, 23:44:17 »
I read this now threee times

I read it four times then gave up.  

I believe he is talking about the yellow boxes that appear in Cadet mode or in vehicles, but that's as far as I got.    I didn't post because I don't understand many of the posts from this gentlemen and sometimes other people do.  

I always try though.   I don't want not to answer just because somebody is having language problems.

So come on 456820, explain it again and we'll try to help.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2005, 12:40:03 »
I think he's talking about the yellow square brackets like in a cadet waypoint
and if it's possible to get them to appear.. i think

yep thats what i mean im wonderingcan i force them to be shown no matter what if the player has them disabled i want themstill to be shown

is that possible
sorry that you couldnt understand

qqqqqq

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2005, 13:23:01 »
is that possible

No.

Don't waste your time with Cadet mode:  play Veteran.   The game is designed for Vet mode, which brings out the best in it.    Vet mode is more realistic, more absorbing and more fun.    Few if any of the people who switch from Cadet to Veteran ever switch back.    

Do you like it when your parent/teacher/boss tells you what to do?   No.   So why would you like it when a waypoint tells you what to do?    

Dane

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:05:37 »
You could ask Grendel or have a wee look at his/her 25mm airburst script
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=27;action=display;threadid=23704

He/her has scripted some very nice green target lock boxes in this script, but this scripting is to advanced for me to make any sence of.

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:34:13 »
If i remember correctly, then the waypoint will be shown always, when the player is in a vehicle.

Though i'm not sure if he must be leader or not for this.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2005, 16:46:17 »
well i play cadet with basically everytrhing switched off but ive got a mission where the 2 squads and a tanks waypoints must be sycronised so i had to give waypoints to the player who is in command of a squad
i cant really tell the player to use cadet mode for this mission so i supose i would have to find away of showing the waypoints

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2005, 16:53:42 »
I really would advise strongly not to use waypoints for the player that are critical for the mission.  You really cannot guarantee they will get to them and even if you do find a way of vorcing them to be visible it would feel contrived and restrictive.

One alternative is to tell them to go to a specific loaction and use a trigger to check they go there.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2005, 16:54:44 by THobson »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2005, 17:08:38 »
ive used a marker and to tell the player to go there but they have to wait for bravo squad thats why ive syced the waypoint of alpha and bravo so they wait until there both there then the move on
ill have a go with the trigger idea
thanks

qqqqqq

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:01:35 »
There are lots of ways to inform the player of what he is supposed to do.   Briefing, obviously: Intro; hints; radio messages; cutscenes; etc..    

Use a trigger to detect if he has done it.

If he has, well and good - everything will work fine.  If he has not, your mission must cope.     Switch triggers can be used to make AI groups do different things depending on what the player has done.    Maybe have some radio messages.   Think realism - what would actually happen in this situation, if the player behaved in this way?    

If he sets off without the other squad, what should happen?      The other squad should arrive at the RV, wait a bit then go home.     Or perhaps attack independently.    Whatever.   You're the mission designer, you decide.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2005, 11:55:37 »
well ive tried the trigger idea and used a forcemap in the intro usingg markers, also in the brifing and im working on messages ive got one for the signal to go but im going to have one saying bravo squad is in position if the players squad is not using a switch trigger
ill have a good experiment and see whats best
thanks for your help

topic solved